Camping tent for family?

Decide: How many people will be sleeping, weather conditions(temp etc), sleeping bags/pads or cots? Whats your budget, is this a one time thing or do you expect lots of use. Is standing height important? Is it for car camping or walk in sites?

nebosllin said:
Looking to go camping with the family towards the end of December. I've researched a ton. Got an idea but like to hear others suggestions, experiences.
Any suggestions..
What kind of camping? What temperatures? Are you backpacking?

Sounds like you'd like one large enough to stand up in. Roomy enough for a couple people. Lots of options there but it really depends on how much you want to spend. Price ranges can run from under a hundred to, well thousands if you were planning on living out of it.

Good tip above. Whatever the purchase, get one #1 with a full coverage rainfly &, what would qualify by name or otherwise, #2 a “bathtub bottom”.

Stokeme said:
Good tip above. Whatever the purchase, get one #1 with a full coverage rainfly &, what would qualify by name or otherwise, #2 a “bathtub bottom”.
And the correct size ground cloth for the tent.

We have this tent:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-12-Person-2-Room-Instant-Cabin-Tent-with-Screen-Room/38763673?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227029159065&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=62689638288&wl4=pla-89026105008&wl5=9060215&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=38763673&wl13=&veh=sem

We love it. Big, instant up and cheap. As long as you put the stakes and lines out before a storm, it weathers even heavy storms well. We have abused this poor tent (left it outside all winter by accident). It it sill holding up fine though. We will be using it for 6 people this summer.

The 12 person thing is bs but it is really comfortable and roomy for 4 (two king/queen sized air mattresses). There is plenty of room for clothing and stuff, lots of room for changing. With 6 people (three queen sized air matresses) it is getting tight, but there is still room for luggage and some room to change. I hope to get another one before they discontinue them. I have not found a tent I like more, and most of the larger tents I like a lot less. Without going to a canvass pavilion, I am not sure you cna do better for a family tent.

Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow
Great tents, easy to set up, lots of room, and can withstand very high winds. Different models and sizes available with a lot of window options. Best Tent I have ever owned and will probably last long enough to be my last tent purchase

We picked up an Oz Tent RX-4 at OX-East several years ago; it was a display tent. It got dirty and muddy but we picked it up at 50% off! Cleaned up very nicely.

We didn't use it too much and gave it to my daughter and her family.

It's a great, modular tent for car/van/truck camping. Very modular with the ability to add rooms if desired. They pack big (81"L) and are heavy (62#). But they are very sturdy, 4 season tent. Works extremely well with cots.

Chukar Hunter said:
Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow
Great tents, easy to set up, lots of room, and can withstand very high winds. Different models and sizes available with a lot of window options. Best Tent I have ever owned and will probably last long enough to be my last tent purchase
A wonderful tent it is, but starting at 70 pounds, it is a beast.

Back
Top Bottom