Camping with Jacks

Hookset

Hey guys,
Is it recommended to use the jacks on my Four Wheel Camper as the support and leveling when camping? I would like to take the camper off my truck for the weekend at a campsite. What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Hookset

Nope it can't be done the jacks are for loading and unloading the truck only. They will not safely support the camper when not on a truck. Although I did see a guy here on the board that jacked his camper off the truck and pushed a picnic table under it for support.

The floor of the camper needs support if you are going to be in it, otherwise you will risk separating the floor from the camper. Besides, if you have a lightweight camper, it will go where your truck will go.

The floor of the camper needs support if you are going to be in it, otherwise you will risk separating the floor from the camper. Besides, if you have a lightweight camper, it will go where your truck will go.

I would be worried about the whole thing tipping over if you were in the bed and it wasn't securely attached to something.

Those are all great points. Thank you. I have a square frame made out of angle iron and large casters. You think I could use that or would there still be a concern of not enough support in the center of the floor and do you think there would be a 'tipping over' issue when sleeping in the extended overhead bed?

How about carrying a 4X8 sheet of plywood under the camper and a couple of saw horses and us the camp jacks as added support and stability?

I'm sure you could build some supports but why? It only takes a minute to lower the top. Nice thing about our campers is they can go anywhere your truck can go. Only thing I miss about having the camper on is going for campfire wood runs.

I have had my Alaskan for 8 years and have yet to have it off the truck. It is pretty old and I have the fear that it might not make it back on in one piece, or should I say two pieces.

We use pieces of plywood at the shows.

Knotch each piece so you can put them together.

Easy to store because they can lay flat when not in use.

Works great, as long as your camper has the "4 corner" type camper jacks.

Attachments

• Wood Camper Base.jpg
    Wood Camper Base.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Camper Base Instructions.pdf
    40.7 KB · Views: 340
We use pieces of plywood at the shows.

Knotch each piece so you can put them together.

Easy to store because they can lay flat when not in use.

Thanks Stan,

I was just getting ready to make some of these and now I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

One question: Must the stands be 2 feet high (off the ground)? Won't the jacks go lower?

You can make them as tall, or short as you want, more or less.

I would think they would need to be at least 10" tall, or so.

The camper jacks will bring the camper low to the ground, but not all the way down.

I think there would still be an 8" or 9" gap between the ground and the floor of the camper once the jacks are lowered all the way down.

========================================================================================

Thanks Stan,

I was just getting ready to make some of these and now I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

One question: Must the stands be 2 feet high (off the ground)? Won't the jacks go lower?

Stan - Great solution! I am a fulltime RVer and tow my Ranger/Eagle behind the bus. I have to keep my jacks on so I can take the camper off when I need the truck for other purposes. I will make up a couple of pieces of plywood and store them under the camper 'til needed.

One question on using a camper base: Does this only work on level ground?

Is there any way to use a base on a slope?
I go to a lot of campgrounds where the parking pad/spur is not very level. Not a problem when I put levaling blocks under the tires but not sure if I could use a base in this situation so I could use the truck.

I take my camper off nearly every time I go camping, just for the day or afternoon while we go out and get firewood or maybe go wheeling in areas you dont want to drag your camper through (as shown in the second picture on our quest to a lookout tower, winch saved me). I NEVER get in it while the camper is unloaded, just let it stand there. only takes about 10-15minutes to fully load or unload the camper so its not too bad and worth its time in firewood and sometimes works well for setting up tarp city!

Attachments

• P5290076.JPG
    P5290076.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 268
  • snow2.JPG
    snow2.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 260
Back
Top Bottom