Campsite Fees

GDinMT

Advanced Member
Is anyone out there using a truck camper + a bumper pull camper of some variety? We have a 1/2 truck with a FWC camper plus a popup that we let the kiddos sleep in.

We have now been given a hard time on two different instances by Campground Hosts trying to charge us a "double fee" because we have two sleeping units. This blows me away since we are not exceeding the persons per site requirement.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Attachments

• IMG_7049.JPG
    IMG_7049.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 114
Now that just doesn't seem right. Where was this? Most places have a max for people (good) and an extra charge for extra vehicles (eh, if it fits in the space... but, whatever). You have a tow vehicle and a trailer - same as a whole lot of folks.

Maybe be sure to have the regulations available on paper or device and ask them to show you where it says you should pay extra.

Alan

Depends. One place we camp has specific regs stating one unit for sleep and a tent, but no other hard shell unit. We are not towing, but keep our fifth wheel there and if there in our TC, can not be using it also. I don't agree with that policy, but campgrounds can pretty much do what they want. We have infrequently towed a popup but had two spaces so obviously not a problem in other campgrounds.

Campground policies are indeed all over the map even within the same government agency. This allows greater flexibility for managers to deal with local issues but can be really confusing for campers since its often difficult to find out about these policies before arriving. Don't blame the campground hosts, they don't usually determine the policies.

Batman said:
Campground policies are indeed all over the map even within the same government agency. This allows greater flexibility for managers to deal with local issues but can be really confusing for campers since its often difficult to find out about these policies before arriving. Don't blame the campground hosts, they don't usually determine the policies.
And many campgrounds on federal public lands are operated by concessionaires. Policy depends on what is written in their contract.

We tow our FWC Eagle behind our motorhome full-time. We sometimes get asked about having two sleeping units. We explain we are full-timers and our Ford Ranger is our every day driver. We tell them we are only sleeping in our motorhome in their campground and the bed in the FWC truck camper isn't accessible with the top down, so they can see we are not sleeping in it. So far for the last 3 years that has worked.

Doesn't make sense to me. What is the difference with or a someone towing a trailer and also has a camper shell on the truck.

Rules is rules...like 'em or not I suppose....just ask the campground host for a copy of the "rules" so you can "keep them on file for the future". If they can't produce a copy of the very "rules" they intend on enforcing that covers pets, fires, noise, etc. then ask them for the website that indicates where the "rules" can be viewed.

Either the "rules" are posted or they are being left to the discretion of the campground host. If that is the case, you will need their name so you can write a letter to whomever they work for (explain THAT to them) so you can get any deposit back if you ae refused occupancy.

In order to assist other WTWs, please post the name/location of the campgrounds where you ran into this. Did you have a reservation? Did you pre-pay? Was your deposit refunded by the campground host?

Sheesh....next we'll be getting height limitations, complaints about cooking with garlic, rainfly objections, tent stakes or other weenie restrictions. Makes you want to go further out even though you have to pass up some pretty dramatic scenery just to get a bit of solitude or less intervention from the campground hosts....I liked it best when you were on the honor system and just put some cash/check into an envelope and put it into a drop box at the campground entrance.

Of course you didn't have paved roads, flush toilets, electrical service and that deal killer for me....Wi-Fi and all the noise and distractions it brings to your pleasant, quiet getaway vacation you planned for.

Never had it happen but ... never been in that situation ... understand the OP's frustration tho. I have however had a lot of people camping beside us, so I'm not against density and number of unit rules in CGs.

Just out curiosity I check campsite rules posted online for the provincial and national parks, western Canada. Each one covers number of units per campsite among other things. Bit of a surprise to me, all allow only one sleeping quarter that is motorized or trailered per site. A (ground) tent as a second sleeping quarter is mostly allowed (not uncommon for kids). Granted, these are different, and foreign, jurisdictions and as such the readership may not care a whit. But, it seems to me, rather than some silly pulled out of the air hardship, there must have been some common history behind coming up with this rule and likely that has been experienced elsewhere. And I'm not thinking money grab.

Agree with the don't blame the host sentiment. I've seen the ugly tourist who's been the one giving the hard time. She who's, "camped all over the US and western Canada and never had to pay, bow wow". Usually ineffective, always unpleasant. I like Larry's approach of explaining the unique situation and asking for a re consideration. Presumably the OP does same. Blows if the answer is no.

PR, don't get me started on "the honor system". It's got a lot to answer for ! We have a number of self register CG up here and I used to make a habit of noting who had a receipt on the post. Paid particular attention to the 'Canada Dream' rental types. Had to give up on the practice, doctor's orders. Pet peeve: hearing, "we love flying over to tour around here because... all the camping is free !". Even better if they're driving one of those huge Euro trucks. Because, um, no, not free to this taxpayer it isn't.

Wow!
We just came back from an almost month long trip to Colorado and Utah and stayed in several campgrounds.
We had our Hallmark truck camper on the truck and we’re towing a Roofnest pop up RTT on an expedition trailer.

We got a lot of inquiries about our set up, mostly from other campers but no one with authority gave us any grief. We even had several rangers stop by and chat about our set up.They seemed to like it.

Attachments

• 39AE4F3C-88DA-455F-B024-1D1CFE7294C7.jpeg
    39AE4F3C-88DA-455F-B024-1D1CFE7294C7.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 105
smlobx said:
Wow!
We just came back from an almost month long trip to Colorado and Utah and stayed in several campgrounds.
We had our Hallmark truck camper on the truck and we’re towing a Roofnest pop up RTT on an expedition trailer.

We got a lot of inquiries about our set up, mostly from other campers but no one with authority gave us any grief. We even had several rangers stop by and chat about our set up.They seemed to like it.
Very nice!

Sometime we tow our street motorcycles and we've never been asked to pay the additional vehicle fee.
I guess it all depends on the campsite. Strange that gov't run campgrounds would have different rules though.

GDinMT, you didn't say whether you were setting up and sleeping in both units, If you're sleeping in both units then I think many campgrounds would charge you double, if their rules say only one camping unit per site. Rules is rules, but as I said earlier, if you aren't setting it up and not sleeping in it, you should be able to explain that.

on another note, if we arrive at a state park, with our ranger in tow behind our motorhome, we pay one entrance fee, but if we drive in separately, we pay two entrance fees. So no matter how short the drive is, we always arrive hooked up.

We were utilizing and sleeping in both the truck and tow campers.

Location was in Hyalite Canyon south of Bozeman, MT in Forest Service campgrounds.

Quite a mess here....which is more desirable to the Campsite host?
1) Camper sleeping 3-4 persons and a tent sleeping 6 more people? Meaning 10 people for one vehicle fee?
2) Camper sleeping 3-4 persons and tent trailer sleeping 4 more people? Meaning DOUBLE "vehicle fee"?
3) SUV carrying 5 persons sleeping in two tents? Do they get charged for two "sleeping areas"?

Again, whatever the "rules" are should be explained right there in the on-line booking process or, if you call it in, by the person taking your reservation.

Then at least, the campground host can end the discussion with one of those "Ignorance is no excuse" responses. Otherwise, I would demand 100% of the refund on the spot or cancel the check or dispute the credit card charge because as they say, "That sure ain't no way to run a railroad", so to speak!

Hi Eddie

How many times have you seen 2, 3 or even 4 tents on a single site?
Happens quite a bit in the East.

Glad you had a great trip and now safely home in VA.

Tents (stand alone) are handled completely different then drive-in/sleep-in vehicles by DoI and DoA. Note that a rooftop tent attached to a vehicle/trailer is not considered a tent by DoI/NPS or BLM. Every campground I've been to has stated in the rules how many stand alone tents are permitted at each camp site.

A good friend was a federal concessionaire at ENP and National Forests for many years in FL and GA. I emailed him for an explanation. He no longer operates on federal property because the contracts are now boilerplate documents stipulating prices and percentages based on operating budget. Why we (campers) now see many concessionaire operations woefully understaffed. And worse, pit toilets infrequently serviced.

In regards, to multiple wheeled sleeping units (Motorized or trailer). Charging for such was always stipulated by the particular federal agency. He always charged for extra wheeled sleeping units because the contract required such even if the unit was not slept in.

He did have some issues with the policy because campground hosts were not familiar with the contract and merely tried to enforce the rules for that campground as they thought best, and sometimes not. Some concessionaires/hosts deviate from the contract and rules and I think that leads to our confusion why rules/enforcement at campgrounds vary so much.

In-so-far has different rules at different campgrounds under the same department/agency...such was stipulated in the contract for that campground operation. He stated the Feds will establish specific rules for a particular campground on an as needed/required basis.

99% of the hosts I've dealt with were nice, friendly people trying to make your stay enjoyable. They are paid very little and usually are on-site 6 out of 7 days. Most hosts stay for free and enjoy the amenities on site at no-cost. They are just trying to do their job. There will always be that 1% who make your stay miserable, even when you follow the rules.

My brother-in-law is a retired NP Superintendent. I asked him about the rules. He stated my friend's comments were spot on with one exception. NP Supers are permitted to alter/modify contract language "as needed" to "enhance the general welfare and safety of visitors". So this too can lead to differing policy and rules depending on the campground visited. He wasn't sure about Supervisors being able to amend contracts for the FS or BLM.

Edited to add my BIL comment.

Back
Top Bottom