Can the IOTA DLS 30 Converter/Charger Over Charge The AGM Batteries?

Wallowa

Double Ought
Sorry but could not find a reference to this question in the manual or instruction sheet.

New 2016 Hawk supposedly with the IOTA DLS 30.

When I am connected to outside 110V AC, and per the instructions the master camper DC switch is in the "ON" position to charge the batteries, my dual FWC AGM batteries are being charged.

Will leaving the converter hooked up to the 110V AC and charging the batteries for weeks or months damage the AGM batteries?

Also could not find where the converter is mounted in the Hawk; can someone please tell me where to look for it.

Thanks,

Phil

The converter is behind a black rectangular vent usually on the driver's side, rear half, at least that is how it is shown in the FWC site pictures I looked at and on my camper. If you have the furnace, then you have a large vent (furnace) and a small vent (converter). My understanding is the latest FWC converter has the three modes which includes maintaining the battery and so can be left on charging at all times. Older models like my 2012 are only two modes unless I purchase an add on computer chip to add the third charging mode, battery maintainer. If you do not have the converter vent, then that would be interesting since converters are supposed to be vented to keep them cool.

The DLS 30 itself doesn't natively contain smart charger functions. An IQ4 needs to be plugged into it to gain the smart charger functionality. New FWC models should come with an IQ4 installed.

My Grandby was delivered in December of 2012 without an IQ4. Sometime in late 2013 or 2014 FWC began installing them as standard equipment.

The Iota DLS-30 with IQ4 is a smart charger that can be left plugged into AC indefinitely. The Iota will start with a bulk charge, then switch to absorption mode and finally to float. Its algorithm is set for AGM batteries. As I recall, the after two weeks at float without any significant load, the IQ4, switches back to bulk and progresses through absorption and back to float to keep the battery at optimal charge. The Zamp has a similar feature except that is reverts to bulk every 4 weeks. This means that if there is AC or solar input, your batteries are kept safely at full charge.

In either case, drawing down the battery with a load, switches the charger back to recharge mode.

My 2014 Hawk has the IQ4 standard from the factory. I'm sure yours does also. To verify, after you locate the DLS-30, look at the end where the AC power cord enters and you should find a cable that plugs into what looks like a RJ11 phone jack. Follow that and you should find the IQ4 on the other end. Note that it is possible that FWC is installing the DLS-30 with built in IQ4 rather than the plug in module.

Paul

Hey, as always you folks came through...thanks! I can't get eyes on the converter where it is installed but will poke around and try to figure out a way to view it without removing the vent grilling. Almost certain it includes the IQ4 functions.

Oddly I have a panel with a row of 4 LED lights near the front on the drivers side that has two functions: Water level in storage tank [new one on me] and level of battery charge. To maintain situational awareness I want to understand the function of all on-board systems so I can catch small issues before they become big ones.

Like with a newborn I fuss a lot about our new Hawk! :D

Thanks again...Phil

I would call or email FWC at the factoryand ask if the IQ4 was installed either separate from the DLS-30 or one with an internal IQ4.

As far as the 4 lights to monitor the battery, they're really just ball park. I thought FWC was installing a better battery monitoring system in their campers now. Anyway, there are numerous threads here about battery monitoring systems like the Trimetic or a simple voltage gage to solar controllers with some monitoring function.

Sorry to mislead. There is also a digital Zamp charge monitoring panel specifically for the AGM and other type of batteries...amps and voltage shown. The LED light array is separate and apparently a FWC addition or product as I see no other brand on it.

Phil

LookyLou said:
I would call or email FWC at the factoryand ask if the IQ4 was installed either separate from the DLS-30 or one with an internal IQ4.

As far as the 4 lights to monitor the battery, they're really just ball park. I thought FWC was installing a better battery monitoring system in their campers now. Anyway, there are numerous threads here about battery monitoring systems like the Trimetic or a simple voltage gage to solar controllers with some monitoring function.
+1 on the lights for battery charge. They seem to be OK for the water level though. If you really, really need to know about the battery SOC, the Trimetric is the way to go. I think that you said you have factory solar, If so, your Zamp display is better than the 4 LEDs.

If you find the DLS-30 and it has the external IQ4, it has a cable coiled up so that you could possibly move the module to somewhere it might be more easily seen. The IQ4 has a LED that provides information on what the charger is doing. If not easily moved, you might be able to rig up a strand of fiber optic flexible cable to bring out the LED light to somewhere useful for status or error diagnostics. With my front dinette, the LED is visible in the battery compartment. I admit that I no longer spend a lot of time looking at it as I did earlier.

Paul
Got a phone call as I was typing. You do have the Zamp.

Yikes, I must truly be slipping.

Went back into Hawk and found a section of paneling under the stove cabinets/under the IOTA converter vent that was wide open.

Yes, I do have the built in IQ4, and yes, that and my Zamp charger both maintain the AGM for extended periods with varied charging levels including a floating charge.

Sorry to run this around the tree for so long; I just did not see that open space under the stove cabinet. Converter is well vented.

Like I heard it said when FWC makes a component or build change it is for improvement of the product and the addition of the IQ4 is such a change...as was the change to the Isotherm 130L even though my original order was for the 110L Dometic freezer/icebox [yes, I am that old!].

Thanks for all the input and information....i now return control of your set to you...

Phil

Wallowa said:
Yikes, I must truly be slipping.

Went back into Hawk and found a section of paneling under the stove cabinets/under the IOTA converter vent that was wide open.

Yes, I do have the built in IQ4, and yes, that and my Zamp charger both maintain the AGM for extended periods with varied charging levels including a floating charge.

Sorry to run this around the tree for so long; I just did not see that open space under the stove cabinet. Converter is well vented.

Like I heard it said when FWC makes a component or build change it is for improvement of the product and the addition of the IQ4 is such a change...as was the change to the Isotherm 130L even though my original order was for the 110L Dometic freezer/icebox [yes, I am that old!].

Thanks for all the input and information....i now return control of your set to you...

Phil
I ripped out the factory unit as soon as I got home.

Just scared me that it provides 14.8v and the Deka AGM's I have only want 14.4v charge voltage at 80*. My Hawk flatbed was ordered with no batteries. I'm using the factory battery location for a CTEK shore charger and storage. I have a dedicated battery bay in my flatbed for the 315Ah bank. I'm no expert... Don't know how much of difference it will make, but wanted to protect the batteries.

I'm using the old charger location for an inverter and transfer switch. That way I can use the 120v outlet from shore power or from the inverter (when off grid).

For shore charging: I used a CTEK 25 amp unit, which provides the 14.4V AGM's want and also temperature correction.

For off grid: I am using a DC/DC charger for, well, charging from the truck's 440A alternator(s). 100A charging total, one is 80A bulk and other is an 20A trickle. Both have temperature compensation. Also built in MPPT solar.

I installed a Blue Sea state of charge unit, so I can keep an eye on my batt. bank.

Crude drawing attached.

Attachments

• bark_electrical.jpg
    bark_electrical.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 237
Damn Barker! Very cool "thumbnail" but I don't see the low yield nuke in your component representation?

With my power use & solar set-up the IOTA w/IQ4 more than meets my needs..

Phil

Wallowa said:
Damn Barker! Very cool "thumbnail" but I don't see the low yield nuke in your component representation?

With my power use & solar set-up the IOTA w/IQ4 more than meets my needs..

Phil
I didn't draw in the flux-capacitor, that part is confidential and yields 1.21 gigawatts.

Back
Top Bottom