Carrizo Plain National Monument

Depends on your interpretation of "lately". I spent the better part of an afternoon there in early November 2007.

I was passing through, in deliberate WTW style, on a trip from Port Hueneme, where my son was then based, to Watsonville, where one of my sister lived at the time. I was driving my son's stock '98 K1500 Extended cab Chevy pickup. I first drove through Ojai and up over the Transverse Range/Santa Ynez Mtns on CA 33 and it appears that there are some nice drives over to I-5 from the north end of that road starting south of where it Ts in to CA 166, but I digress.

I drove up Soda Lake Rd, checked out the farmstead, ventured up in to the hills on the west side a bit, visited the campground, walked up the knob hill near Soda Lake, and spent nearly 2 hours at the Wallace Creek exhibits atop the San Andreas Fault. The Wallace Creek area, and the Plain area in general, had been prominently featured in my structural geology textbook from the early 1970s, so it was entirely cool to spend some time there on the ground.

Everything I've read here suggests Springtime wildflowers can be awesome.

Foy

We were there in May...if The Nino pans out it should look quite different next May...and we plan to be there there!

Back
Top Bottom