Carrying moto fuel with camper (no trailer)

I made a rack on the roof between the Yakima tracks... holds three 2 gallon Rotopax cans. Easy on and off so not a big deal to remove if you want when they are full and heavy for roof lifting. They also are below the bars so not interfering with the canoe on.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 100
hoyden said:
You can also carry 2 on the front exterior 'wall'

o2_fdPbjPNU8cMeduEdnrZby-RXh9UPhaHzXQa-A_GeNm4LHk4I-ryLcLXWrAM90hYexYzyYW5p4wIrRDd98xFmeJKsu7veB5wFe0bhNUL4sAQxqn2kOjt5yUQQl5wMf9QrcP42IW3NTqiWTjJYH2ZmVnE5am8xVU81PLPD7bAhHy8jnxaSspZblWcYFylPNKmBIWjVgVa1SEbe7Lz1TVG7fcuK002UCU6awcEX1qHDwfngayEQpcgZOCfkL-Mb6hfr3szm4IQjl_zj_ZJnqZLt88Tr5xP6nkYDSDZpO1OakBXKHsDGdT-lkRVBFKjldFNVUU5MYIQTvhiVYojJ21AlQKkAhVEbAHnwk7M6DLa7XxnV3cPdQJq5jR46sSquZwOMRqNr0nmjVpNCQVr8udcrx723KPg5shcXCYPJwSExC7yS77t1TGSr6K0etNFLRQOwS53_rabp49pixxyFDc3WOe3jXRoVE4ULwTgRZEkRav-9usny76NBSqSyDS1leBKsBlyATS-cBtBH5Prs-o232r_XSq5L2tsS0mDljICwYYXW7Ez8FgMnqXtCd-Zjngnkyyip9BR6sGlUFTaOwM7oDOouwUALju26MxoJb84_GoObTSw=w573-h450-no
I like this. Were you able to put find an aluminum "stud" there? How did you attach the holder? Do you have a link to where you bought it? (When we're going to stay in one place for awhile we carry a 2000 watt Yamaha generator and this would do nice for the fuel plus give us that little extra 20-30 miles "back up".) :)

Durango1 said:
I like this. Were you able to put find an aluminum "stud" there? How did you attach the holder? Do you have a link to where you bought it? (When we're going to stay in one place for awhile we carry a 2000 watt Yamaha generator and this would do nice for the fuel plus give us that little extra 20-30 miles "back up".) :)
Hiya! I should have qualified that this is a friend's set-up, not mine! I've been thinking about doing this, but have been too chicken to put holes in my camper. It's a great solution tho!

He said,
"The RotoPax comes with mounting hardware but longer bolts of the same type to make it thru the wall along with some nyloc nuts for the inside of the camper and some fender washers for support works well."

I have added stuff to boats and trucks. The problem is that you add weight and since that weight is moving you also add thrust to the mix. I would like to add some kind of holder to the camper but I just cant. I have seen the damage things do when they are not supposed to be there.

Off topic but I was wondering what kind of hitch receiver step you have on your truck in the pic, thanks!

I've been rebuilding my fuel system on our 28ft sailboat 1986 era. Its super low tech. You could easily install a fuel pump like the 1986 pump that just died on my boat. Fuel line to the can, simple 12volt pump attached to the truck bed via simple wood plank, inline on the hose. 2gp minute. I wonder if the fuel pump could pull fuel from a simple vent hose via vacume pressure to fill? Then cap the vent hose during non use?

After rebuilding this 12hp Universal Diesel fuel system it seems like a pretty basic set up that would work. Only worry I would have is grounding in the pickup bed vs plastic fuel can, classic yard mow and blow fueling mistake static charge in the pickup bed not dissipated and filling with the can in the bed. When you set the plastic can on the ground to fill any charge gets grounded.

Only other worry might be chaffing of the fuel can from road vibrations and ending up with fuel leaking in a bad spot.

Some of the ADV motorcycle riders use the main tank's vent to pull fuel from the spare/aux tank into the main. Never done it, only heard of it being done.

Transfer systems (two tanks with a pump to move the fuel from one to the other) used to be illegal for gasoline fueled vehicles, but legal for diesels. Not sure that is the case any more. Came about from people setting up transfer systems during the early 70's fuel crunch, and then managing to set themselves on fire from over-filling the main tank. Seems to me that simple fix for this is to connect both tank vents together. Then if you forget and overfill the main tank it just cycles back into the aux tank.

Joe Hauler makes a hitch carrier that totes fuel as well.

I really like my Joe Hauler carrier with the Cam-Loc. Very robust and no bike or carrier movement unlike the Versahauler.

This is the article that convinced me to go with the Aluminess rear bumper and Joe Hauler hitch carrier. I opted for the spare tire carrier and fuel can open box. I could carry 4x 5 gallon fuel or water cans. The setup worked perfectly on my 2003 F-250 Super Duty.

I have since upgraded to a 2016 F-350. The Joe Hauler carrier works great, but, I am now carrying 5 gallons of fuel in a Scepter can in AT fuel carrier affixed to the right rear jack bracket.

2016_07_01_06_42_24_copy.jpg

Didn't carry additional fuel on this trip.

Advmoto18 said:
Joe Hauler makes a hitch carrier that totes fuel as well.

I really like my Joe Hauler carrier with the Cam-Loc. Very robust and no bike or carrier movement unlike the Versahauler.

This is the article that convinced me to go with the Aluminess rear bumper and Joe Hauler hitch carrier. I opted for the spare tire carrier and fuel can open box. I could carry 4x 5 gallon fuel or water cans. The setup worked perfectly on my 2003 F-250 Super Duty.

I have since upgraded to a 2016 F-350. The Joe Hauler carrier works great, but, I am now carrying 5 gallons of fuel in a Scepter can in AT fuel carrier affixed to the right rear jack bracket.

2016_07_01_06_42_24_copy.jpg

Didn't carry additional fuel on this trip.
Nice set up. Interested, how much clearance is there between the galley box on the Aluminess and the bars of your moto when loading? I'm intrigued in this combination (Aluminess and Versahauler moto-carrier) but can't see how one would load a moto when the galley box (which I would opt for) protrudes so far from the rear of the camper.

Back
Top Bottom