Carrying moto fuel with camper (no trailer)

turn_one

Looking for ideas on where to stow a few 5 gallon moto-style fuel jugs (like these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1483/i/scribner-plastics-spacesaver-utility-jugs ) on my truck.

I've got a Ram 2500 with a FWC Hawk camper and a Versahauler motorcycle hitch carrier (http://tweetys.com/images/products/detail/SingleMotorcycleCarrier01.jpg) for the moto. I'm trying not to carry the fuel in the cab or camper for obvious reasons but am unsure where or how to store the jugs elsewhere. I'll also be carrying a vertically mounted mountain bike (below) so storage options on the right rear is limited.

img_142754_0_ad36e5d6e1a0ee93bfc5eec2ad113106.jpg

My thoughts are:

• Find a metal a fuel carrier that I can weld on the long hitch extender that's part of the Versahauler just aft of the hitch. This will severely cramp the area I need to access the camper.
  • Use a hitch cargo carrier platform behind the Versahauler and strap the jugs here. Cons to this is too much length behind the truck (moto hauler and hitch platform likely equals 4+ feet.)
  • Front cargo carrier mounted to a front mounted hitch. Seems like a lot just to carry some fuel jugs.
  • Put the mountain bike on the front and find some aluminum fuel jug carrier to bolt to the right rear of the camper. Worried about finding structural beams in which to secure this to though.
I'm not willing to spend the money on an Aluminess bumper just yet so that option is out for me.

Anyone who have faced similar dilemmas have suggestions?

Thanks.

I have carried two plastic 5 gallon fuel containers in a plastic storage bin inside my camper a number of times. The containers fit snug inside the bin, the plastic bin protects against spills, and can be tied to prevent movement or tipping during transport. The ceiling fan removes any vapors rapidly. Never had a problem (and I am sensitive to gasoline smell). Just be sure you have no open flames in the camper (water heater, propane frig, etc.)

jim

I've carried mountain bikes and road bikes on my front receiver hitch and did not care much for doing so. Even with a 6" drop box the bike rack carried the bikes too high--interfered with my near range view of the highway in a disconcerting way. Only once was I running that way after dark with the headlights on, and that was really bad--backlight reflections from the bikes really fouled up night vision. It's daytime only and as seldom as possible for me.

I'd put on a front receiver mount as a matter of course and put the fuel cans forward.

I share your preference to keep gasoline outside of any living space.

Foy

No idea what a Versahauler looks like, but I'll venture that there is some clearance between it's track and the rear of the camper for handle bar clearance. Would a fuel jug nest between them with enough room to get the moto on and off? If so I'd talk to a local fabricator (assuming it's not in your skill set) about adding onto the moto rack. For two jugs perhaps one inboard of the moto and one outboard?

Looks like you already have a luggage carrier on the roof. How about just adding a rack or some sort of carrier and then carrying them up there. Yes, you would have to take down for raising the roof, but there's a lot of unused real estate up there

Thanks for the input.

A Versahauler is just a hitch mounted moto-carrier, I linked a photo in my original post. I too thought the idea of fabricating something in between the receiver and where the moto mounts aft of the bumper, on the track as ntsqd suggested but that area may be utilized by the ramp part of the carrier as seen here http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php#.
I'm against having the fuel inside as sometimes you just want to crawl in the back and go to sleep without moving too many things about. Usually not an issue on a week trip but when you're on the road for a month or two it becomes a pain shuffling gear around just to get in/out of the thing. Then there's the issue of where to store it outside of the camper at night.
Regarding the Roto-pax, I'm hoping for about 8-10 gallons, two of the 5 gallon jugs pictured, I don't know if I want to go through the effort of figuring out where to stack that many Roto-Pax units.
I also want to keep the load light on the roof. It's a big truck requiring a ladder to access the roof even when down and I'm not a fan of having to move that weight that often on a long trip.

I'm about to install the carrier now to get a better idea of what space I'll have on the track.

A small cargo carrier on the front hitch is starting to look like the lease problematic approach.

Thanks again.

How about a hitch extension to move the Versahauler back from the bumper a little. Wouldn't be too tough to have cargo tray atteched that would support the fuel jugs

The moto + rack are best kept as close to the rear bumper as possible. I'd be more inclined to add a carrier to the rear of the Versa Hauler than to move the Versa Hauler further away from the bumper.

I just found the photo on the Internet :)

If you have a hawk or grandby you probably have space to the left of the door for another rotopax.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

What about putting a gas can on the ramp (rail) of the VH? Will the base of the gas "jug" fit in the rail and then use a tie down?

I had the same problem with my truck. I needed extra gas to get to some hunting spots. I decided to build a hitch mounted Rotopax carrier. I have two and can stack them but I didn't put the other one on for the picture. I also built steps on it. When I want to get into the camper I just let it down.

img_143007_0_fc309ff140b0cba9502ada460e2fe6fc.jpg

img_143007_2_b011acc5a6973de4dc5761dbb32d51bf.jpg

img_143007_4_ce58ef4ddc4feb66514efcc9b8dad16b.jpg

img_143007_6_b9987ea39128eeadbc5db64a676cd6c9.jpg

I've been wondering about the feasibility and safety of putting a 4 gal Rotopax between the rear window of the truck and the front of the FWC. I don't have sliding rear windows on either the truck or camper and measurements show that there is room.

Would need to figure out how to secure it to prevent it sliding out one side or the other on turns. Anyone else consider this are for storing fuel or other gear?

Fyreman said:
a553e0b3843eae246b41f2f25c4a1990.jpg

I used half a Yakima basket on bars that fit perfectly on the roof. 4-5 scepter cans fit well

Nice rig. How can you get to your spare tire with the tail gate down?

I have carried a flat Rotopax in the very front of the bed on its side standing up in front of the camper carrying diesel in it. It sits in mostly wasted space in my vehicle (camper is moved rearword about an inch to accommodate it). I have a siphon hose to siphon diesel to the truck tank. The kind of hose that is pulled up then dropped several time to start the flow. That part works very well to drain the whole Rotopax in one "tapping". This hose likely would not start a siphon on a partial tank, but there are other type of siphons out there. The emptying into the truck tank works well. Tight getting my hand in to open the tank, but doable.
The part that is NOT satisfactory is the "fill in place". I use a flexible funnel, and it is slow to fill.... And since you can't see what is happening....messy.
I just use it as a backup if I miss my estimate on range trying to stretch (to get to reasonably priced fuel) due to hills or headwinds. I do try not to use it due to the fill hassl factor. I think that can be solved, I just haven't messed with it again due to no loooong cross country trips since its unsatisfactory fill performance.
If your camper unhooks and moves back easy, the fill would be easy.

Back
Top Bottom