Carson River Route - California Overland Trail

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Craig333 mentioned Mormon Emigrant Trail in a recent trip report -

Craig333 quick trip

I've always had an interest in western history and westward travel. In our area we have a wealth of historic places to visit. Right in our backyard is the western end of the Carson Route into California. Doing a little research and spending time out exploring is just plain fun. I'd like to offer a little info if you'd like to explore some history..

Mormon Emigrant Trail

A interesting foot note to overland travel into California during the gold rush is that the most heavily used variant of the California Trail over the Sierra Nevada (the Carson Route) was blazed by members of the Mormon Battalion going the opposite direction in 1848.

A well written account is found here:

Emigrant Trail

The 49er tree is mentioned in the above account. Yes, it was vandalized and the inscription was burned away. Sad. This is how it looks today along the paved Mormon Emigrant Trail.

gallery_1902_252_54402.jpg

and the original emigrant trail passes along the right side.

gallery_1902_252_236939.jpg

Much of the route is now marked at important points.

gallery_1902_252_58683.jpg

A guide to these markers can be purchased from this association.

Trail Guide

A local historian has also published a guide to the route. It is well done, but hard to find.

Carson Route Guide

Happy exploring. I hope you find this information useful.

Frank Tortorich was giving a tour/chat this past monday up near Sorenson's Resort. Wish I could have made it. If you're (anyone) interested, I have an extra copy of his book.

Back
Top Bottom