FWC or Class B or C ??

DavidGraves

Howdy

As my wife and I enter our 70s we are considering another loop around the US/Canada next year to visit family and revisit favorite places we have been.
We own our third FWC, a Grandby on third gen Ram quad cab, and pretty much have it fitted out just where we want it for travel in the West.
I am wondering if a Class B or C might serve better for next year..?..almost all asphalt and probably around 10-12 K miles of it. I know some other WTW folks have made the switch but I am hesitant to let go of our current truck/camper combo.
I would appreciate hearing from others who have switched , others who may have used RV Share or others who may want to "swap" their Class B/C for our rig in order to explore the West. Not even sure what "swap" means here but life is for learning.

David Graves
north coast Oregon

0820231226_HDR (1).jpg

Howdy I tend to agree. I have seen some very short little Class C models which could still be driven on FS roads and the like while giving more space than a slide in. Hmmn. Trying to consider the rainy day comfort level also......for 2-3 months.
Thanks for the reply.

We do not plan on switching at all as I just got my 2024 Hawk a couple of months ago which I will mainly use for hunting/fishing etc.. But, I just retired and my wife and I have talked about getting a class B+ to travel and see the US. A B+ would be like a Leisure Travel Van, Winnebago Ekko etc.. I am not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a highly depreciable asset as you can do a lot of hotel rooms or VRBO's for what those RV's cost but it something we do discuss.
You could always just take your truck/FWC and stay in it when you go somewhere and want to get off the beaten path and then hotel/VRBO it when you want to get out and stretch your legs a little bit.

We do not plan on switching at all as I just got my 2024 Hawk a couple of months ago which I will mainly use for hunting/fishing etc.. But, I just retired and my wife and I have talked about getting a class B+ to travel and see the US. A B+ would be like a Leisure Travel Van, Winnebago Ekko etc.. I am not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a highly depreciable asset as you can do a lot of hotel rooms or VRBO's for what those RV's cost but it something we do discuss.
You could always just take your truck/FWC and stay in it when you go somewhere and want to get off the beaten path and then hotel/VRBO it when you want to get out and stretch your legs a little bit.
It is a good point to stay in housing ever so often. We often visit and stay in historic lodges etc. Thanks for reminding me !

David,
We travel with our 36 year old Down Syndrome son. Our ATC camper is fine for the trips we’ve taken that last 4 weeks or so. When we consider our age (mid 70s) and longer trips we question how comfortable that would be for long term travel too.

Since you already have a truck would you consider a trailer? I’ve priced out Escape trailers and was surprised that the cost is comparable to, say, an FWC flatbed Hawk. I’ve noted that some WTW members have commented favorably on both Escape and Oliver travel trailers. Price of an Escape would be a big advantage over a Class B or C.

Back
Top Bottom