cast iron: avoiding rust

Bseek

Gypsy Feet
Anyone have a good idea how to store your cast iron in a camper so that it doesn't rust. I know about keeping a layer of oil on it, but is there something to wrap it in? Or keeping something desiccant nearby?

Seasoned right I don't think it will rust. Ours don't, but I don't know exactly what my wife does with their care. Research the care of Dutch Ovens. The Lodge page probably has directions on keeping their iron dutch ovens rust free and ready to use.

After cleaning and a light coat of oil, place a paper towel on the bottom then fold another paper towel several times so it is thick then place on the rim of the pot and put the lid on. This allows air to circulate helping to remove moisture. There are several Dutch Oven cookoffs in the Northstate each year. If anyone is interested let me know. I can get you the info.
George

I think it depends somewhat on the humidity in and around the camper. My dutch oven, which I routinely wiped out with veggie oil and paper towel has travelled with me everywhere and only rusted in soggy, hot Brisbane Oz. But EVERYTHING rusted there. I think I did.

Just follow the seasoning directions you get when you bought it and the bit about using oil after you use a bristle brush and hot water to clean it (no soap) and the paper towel and lid for storing helps too! I've carried both a Lodge grill and two frying pans in the camper/truck for years (over 30 now for the grill) with no major problems! Like most things use take care of it!

Smoke

I never use soap on mine and even avoid using water as often as possible. Just use a plastic scrubbie, green brillo pad, or wooden utensil to clean it up. Generous coating of oil all around. The paper towel, as mentioned above, between multiple pans and lids/pots is a must for me. The final step is making sure the vessels are at least cool to the touch, if not ambient temperature, before storage.

You can also use salt and a paper towel to remove food, like sandpaper. This came from an article on care of cast iron cooking ware. Mine is oiled and has been in 2 plastic bags in the garage all winter. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

If you wash it (just water!), I find that really drying it out is key, and the most effective way is to run it on high heat for a minute or so. It also takes a coat of oil nicely afterwards when it's warm, if needed.

Bseek,saw this in this mornings paper.Might help answer some questions.
Frank

IMG_1283.jpg

I'm inclined to agree with Carl. Season it. If you wash it, avoid using soap. It's not that big of a deal if you use soap, sometimes it's necessary to save time, but reheat it immediately to dry and wipe it with a light oil. Crisco is best.

When I go to use the pan again, I usually wipe it with a paper towel as it's heating to remove any rust that may have built up during storage. It's usually minimal.

It's pretty easy to restore a cast iron pan if it gets a bit of rust. Sandpaper or steel wool works well and sand works if you don't have anything else.

I know you were looking for magic storage secrets, but there really isn't any. Just store it seasoned.

If you really hate rust, here is a picture of some rust removal I did on a test piece of sheet metal. Personally I'd rather eat rust ;-)

polish_brightener.jpg

If you wish to use none of the above- simply rinse pan very well, dry with towel, and flip the pan over and place on an open flame for about a minute. Then allow time to cool.

I camp/pack pretty light. I can't imagine carrying all those items to keep a pan rust free. A fire/ flame will always be at my destination!

Cast iron is all I use, been using it for years. Just wipe it out and use hemp oil to coat it. After well seasoned I only coat it once in a while, but I use it every day though. If you use water to clean it definitely coat it with oil once dry. Nothing better than cast iron.

seasoned properly you won't have to use any soap on it as has been noted. Heating the pan after rinsing out to expand the pores in the iron then apply a quick spray of Pam while hot, allow to cool, wipe out excess and put it away....no rust

We use a series of 4 different cast iron frying pans at home for just about everything. everybody knows the drill and all the pans are rinsed out after use allowed to cool on the stove top with a quick shot of pam...

I put them away the next morning in my "dish put away" ritual.

better than any non-stick pan by a longshot...and your grandchildren will inherit them....a far cry from today's pots and pans

Well done Linda.

Since I am the original poster I will say that I swapped out the brand new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet in the Bobcat with an antique Griswold I found at a yard sale. No more problems. The Lodge had the pebbly texture which I thought would be better, but as the above article says, go for the smooth!

Bseek said:
Well done Linda.

Since I am the original poster I will say that I swapped out the brand new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet in the Bobcat with an antique Griswold I found at a yard sale. No more problems. The Lodge had the pebbly texture which I thought would be better, but as the above article says, go for the smooth!
My son gave me an old Griswold skillet for Christmas. It's like new but for the patina of years of use. I cook with it almost every day- love it.

Back
Top Bottom