Ceiling Fan Replace

A.Smith

Advanced Member
Thanks To All.
2006 Hawk, Fan no work.
What model # is the replacement ?
I have been reading different posts, situations with covers but I have missed the how to's on which parts to replace the fan and switch.
I don't wish to install a complete unit since there are no leaks, knock wood, currently, but have no desire to try and chase motor, switch issues.
All the suggestions about lifter thingies have been great, and lots of comments regarding using the fan to assist in raising and lowering the top.
So Help with Fan, please.
Thanks Again for all the help
Fred

I ran onto this image yesterday and thought it might be helpful to other Wander The West readers chasing ceiling fan power issues....

(Click to enlarge)

FantasticFanControls.jpg

It's just a reminder to check that the fuse isn't blown, the rocker-switch isn't sitting mid-position, the lid is up, and the thermostat (if equipped with one) is set to a position that will allow the fan to turn on.

The image is from post #3 of this thread from the Casita Club forum.

Other info to be gleaned from the thread:

- the 4-amp glass fuse can be hard to find. The thread says it can be found at Pep Boys and Radio Shack (if you can find one of those). There's also a joke in there about replacing the fuse with a length of solid copper wire. (Don't do that.)

- a common reason for the fuse to be blown is flipping the rocker switch to change fan direction before the fan has stopped.

The other thing that comes to mind is the fuse on the camper's wiring to the ceiling fan. (That circuit also serves the interior ceiling lights so if your lights work, that fuse is OK.)

I replaced our (damaged) Fantastic Fan yesterday on our '08 Hawk.
I removed the old unit and installed a Maxxaire 4000k unit (no remote, no rain sensor). It took me two and a half hours, including clean up.
The hardest job was scraping off the old Dicor putty and marine grade sealant to prep the opening.
After scraping, I also used some citrus based solvent to remove most of the remaining goo.

A couple of tips:
Before I set the fan unit I did a quick wirenut connection and found I had no power.
I had blown the 10A blade fuse in the camper.
I suspect I must have let the positive wire touch the camper frame by accident.
There are two factory wires: Yellow (positive) and Black (negative), which is counterintuitive to home builders. ;)
When properly wired, the Maxxaire give a couple of tiny chirps to confirm polarity is correct.
For the final install, I used the provided barrel crimp connectors.

I bedded the flange in Dicor tape and ran a bead of 3M marine sealant around perimeter and over the provided stainless screws.
The inside garnish flange needs to be trimmed for depth (cuts with a hacksaw), and I found it was necessary to predrill 1/8" holes into the aluminum roof struts. Maxxaire includes a compact set of directions, which are very clear.

Compared to the Fantastic Fan, we find the 10 speed Maxxaire to offer near silent operation. Different than the FF, you can reverse direction on the fly, as the fan quickly slows and reverses. Max air movement is 900 cfm, which is definitely more powerful. There is also a fixed thermostat setting of 78F, which I wasn't able to test on the mild Oct day. The FF was smoke colored, but the new Maxxaire has a white dome, so it will brighten the interior a bit during the day. Lastly, the round screen is removable with four clips, and seems robust. I think we're going to like this unit.

Back
Top Bottom