Celebrate the Summer Solstice!

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
It happened last weekend. Summer is here! What did you do to celebrate?

We spent the weekend teaching a survival and navigation clinic for California Department of Fish & Wildlife. One of our students asked if there was a way to determine magnetic declination in the field. The answer I considered the most fun included learning about the night sky so we invited those interested in a night walk to join us. Our first night of summer was spent having our students take bearings with their handheld compasses on Polaris, the north star. They determined that magnetic north was 14° east of true north for our location. They were definitely fun students to spend the weekend with!

Hope your summer is equally rewarding! :)

ski3pin said:
It happened last weekend. Summer is here! What did you do to celebrate?

We spent the weekend teaching a survival and navigation clinic for California Department of Fish & Wildlife. One of our students asked if there was a way to determine magnetic declination in the field. The answer that I considered the most fun included learning about the night sky so we invited those interested in a night walk to join us. Our first night of summer was spent having our students take bearings with their handheld compasses on Polaris, the north star. They determined that magnetic north was 14° east of true north for our location. They were definitely fun students to spend the weekend with!

Hope your summer is equally rewarding! :)

I was feeding mosquitoes in the Cascades...

Your weekend sounds great!

Good buddy and I took beers, smokes, cameras and flyfishing gear into a rugged canyon on the Middle Deschutes River here in Central Oregon. Stayed out way late watching the long, lingering sunset along with one of the most active displays of Nighthawk acrobatics i've seen in a long time. Fish were biting, beer was cold. Great way to enter the summer. Pix still at the lab... ;)

Magic. I was out in my mom's back yard, watching the evening settle. It was ok, although I've made a practice of camping on Midsummer's Eve.

We spent the night at Campo Alto on Cerro Noroeste in the Los Padres and watched a spectacular sunset over the Sierra Madres. Good for the soul.

Back
Top Bottom