Cellular data service for the FWC

Alaskan Snowbirds

There have been some posts (Jack, Buzzman, Teri's Joy) that deal with using cellular data service for laptops while on the road. It seems like this would be a real plus for us some of the time too and we're looking for further recommendations on both the hardware (usb vs card?) and brand of service (AT&T and Verizon seem to be leading the pack due to a larger coverage area.)

We'd really like to find something that lets you pay for what you use and doesn't require a contract (like a Tracfone data card for PC's). Does anyone have experience with that kind of service (or know if something that simple is available with a reasonable service area)?

Thanks!
'birds

I have Sprint service and regularly use my Blackberry for internet connection with my laptop using "phone as modem" software. It's quite functional when in Sprint's high speed digital network, which unfortunately seems to be in decent sized towns and larger cities. I previously used aircards and have preferred using the Blackberry as a modem.

To compliment portablity I just took delivery of a Dell 9" Mini Net Book yesterday. Earlier in the month they were offering them for a $50 option when ordering certain Latitude laptops so I couldn't resist. After using it last night it seems like the perfect camper laptop....EXCEPT FOR THE KEYBOARD....it's cramped but I'm used to typing with my thumbs on a Blackberry. I'm downloading the phone as modem software as I type and am anxious to try it out.

Wired!

gsbfree,

Sounds like you've got cyber on the go wired!

I'm not much of a tech guy and am looking for the bare bones to let us check an email and weather once in awhile when we aren't near a Wi-Fi hotspot using just our existing laptop.

Ideal for me would be an AirCard or USB plugin and buy-as-you-use "data cards", similar to a prepaid cell phone, no long term contract.

Buzzman and Jack seemed like they had something close but I got the impression they had plans that required longer term contracts.

Thanks for the input!
'birds

You can avoid the contract by buying your modem direct. I got a Verizon Aircard for about $120 online and then signed up for Verizon month-to-month service. You can suspend the service for 3 months without a new sign up fee. ($30 ?).

You can't do this with ATT. We have T-Mobile for wireless voice. In other countries, we have bought a prepaid SIM card, had a local phone number and local (ie low cost) billing. It's been great. We once got a pre-paid SIM card from ATT when we were several weeks in an area covered by ATT and not T-Mobile. ATT broadband was the same arrangement as wireless and wireless ATT was an incredible hassle and expensive. I would consider ATT broadband only if you already have ATT wireless service.

Any less than 5GB/month available?

This link might be helpful...

EVDO

Mark, the information on EVDO helped me understand a little better how things work and how fast they work...Thanks.

You can avoid the contract by buying your modem direct. I got a Verizon Aircard for about $120 online and then signed up for Verizon month-to-month service. You can suspend the service for 3 months without a new sign up fee. ($30 ?)...

Jack,

A few questions on the Verizon service:
  • It sounds like Verizon uses the EVDO system from reading the link Mark provided?
  • If I remember right you said in another post your service was around $60/5GB/mo?
  • If you have data use left at the end of a month does it "roll over" to the next month?
  • Do you know if Verizon offers anything less than 5GB/month?
  • It sounds like I could use the service for the 6 months we're away from home then let it slide for 6 months and sign up again for $30 or so ---or--- pay for one month after 3 months and then start back up after another 3 months without having to pay the sign up fee...that sound right?
Thanks to both for your help and advice, much appreciated.
'birds

Back
Top Bottom