Centering camper on truck bed

fatmab

Advanced Member
Howdy all,

Getting ready for the shakedown trip with my new Hawk. I am remounting the camper on the truck for the
first time and I want to make sure I get it as centered as possible. If I'm off center by 1/4", does anyone
think it will be a problem? My gut tells me it is just fine and that the camper will probably shift by that
much or more when off road, but I figured better to ask than not. I probably have a mild case of OCD so don't be afraid to tell me to shut up and go camping!

Thanks,
Matt

Shut up and go camping. :D I use a tip I learned on here. Put a strip of tape on the center of the bed and on the center of the camper and use it line up as you back up. Works slick. You can also shift it a bit by jacking up a little and shoving it over. Having said all that, 1/4 inch sounds dead on to me.

IMO being off an inch or so will not make difference. at least on my truck it does not.

now if you do not have the room between the fender wells, would seem to be self correcting..

That's what I figured, thanks for the quick replies folks. There's not much room between the jacks at all so just getting the truck safely between them gets it awfully close to begin with. Then I did what takesiteasy suggested and fudged it over with the jacks and some shoving.

Ok, I'm shutting up and going camping now... well Thursday anyway

Cheers

fatmab said:
Then I did what takesiteasy suggested and fudged it over with the jacks and some shoving.

Ok, I'm shutting up and going camping now... well Thursday anyway
Shoving it over a bit and also pushing on the back to get it forward in the bed are pretty common procedures.

Enjoy your camping trip! :)

ski3pin said:
Shoving it over a bit and also pushing on the back to get it forward in the bed are pretty common procedures.

Enjoy your camping trip! :)
And, I just learned something. Thanks

I have 1/2" side-to- side when backing in with my Tacoma…will apply the tape to the truck and camper and employ some pushing and shoving next time.

I haven't done it too many times but I was told to line up the jacks in the mirrors so you can't see the back ones and can see daylight between the wheel wells and the front jacks. It's always put me almost dead center every time. Just another technique but it seems to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom