central coast / big sur suggestions for this weekend

SK1

Four day trip back to Tahoe from San Luis Obispo up the coast with the dogs. Don't know the area well. Any suggestions for beaches/hikes/camping spots/neat areas to check out? We are pretty open as to our route, ocean vs coast range, etc...

I was just at the central coast this week. Check out Avila beach: http://www.avilabeachpier.com/information/port-san-luis-camping.html#.Uzntno2A36U. I had a great hamburger at Fat cats in Port San Luis.

A little north in Los Osos there is a nice camp ground in the Montana Oro State Park. Lots of cool hiking trails: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=592.

If you want a break from camping we stayed at the Shoreline inn in Cayucos http://www.cayucosshorelineinn.com/ It's an older place but if you're downstairs you have a great patio on the beach. I love this town cause it's very laid back, just North of Morro bay. Near the hotel there a great small smoked fish place that has the most amazing fish tacos.

Cambria is another beautiful spot, you just can't miss the 2 mile boardwalk trail right above a very beautiful ocean at the Fiscalini ranch http://www.yelp.com/biz/fiscalini-ranch-trail-cambria

The San Simeon State campground looks real nice http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-simeon-state-park-and-campground-cambria

And if you're in San Simeon, check out the elephant seals @ http://www.yelp.com/biz/friends-of-the-elephant-seals-at-piedras-blancas-san-simeon

Have fun!

Great suggestions from BobM.
We have stayed at Montana Del Oro ,it was nice.The trails had loads of wild flowers.
We really like the San Simeon St Pk.The upper campground,Washburn is quiet and the views are great.
The ocean sound carries up there and is nice at night.
Further up the coast are more campgrounds.One NF Kirk Creek and a ST park ,Limekiln,has some nice spots. There is Big Sur further up the coast but that can get crowded.
If you want a place to stay in Monterey while you see the city there is Veterans city park,has showers and close in town but quiet.
Have a great trip.
Frank

Just a heads up on Montana De Oro, they do not allow dogs on beaches or trails, dogs are allowed on leash in campground and on paved roads only. Major bummer for us since we always have our pup with us when we head up to that area, so we've never actually been there.

As mentioned Fiscalini is a great spot for a walk, there are also numerous trails to the ocean from Hwy 1 between Cayucos and Cambria that are nice.

I'll second the Shoreline Inn in Cayucos, very dog friendly with a great beach to let them run right out the back door.

Thanks for the ideas! Recreation on the California coast with the pups can be a challenge, so I really appreciate the dog-friendly suggestions. Anyone familiar with nice hikes in the ventana wilderness area? Boondocking areas up in those roads?

I think there's a "camping" area at the end of Polo Colorado rd, Bottchers Gap,I think it's called.It has a trail head into the Vantana.
There are two campgrounds along the Nacimiento Ferguson rd,but don't know if they are open or if the road is passable after our last rain.
The other access road might be the Tassajara rd out of Carmel Valley
You might search the Los Padres NF (north) for info.There are a lot of camping spots but I think most are backpack in ones.
Don't know about dog friendly places as we don't have a dog.
Good luck with your trip.
Frank

A great hike is Salmon Creek, just above Ragged Point. Since you are at sea level, it all up and up and up, but it is worth it. Beware of tics, plenty of them. Boondocking is a bit harder. Along the ridge accessed by the Ferguson road are some dirt roads. Check out a good map for them. Great camping and views. 4wd is usually not necessary, but because of recent rains, that may change. The problem with Big Sur is access. The mountains are very steep right to the ocean which makes it hard to get into them, both hiking and roads .As a result, there are not a lot of trails, but the ones that exist are good ones. A good trail map or book would be worth getting. Tassajara is a good hour dirt road in, but they are not open to the public yet. They open in May. However if you want, you can volunteer there during the month of April and they will put you up and feed you. A cool way to spend a few days, not to mention the hot springs. Excellent hiking from there. If you can make it up to Half Moon Bay, absolutely go to Butano State Park. One of the last remaining old growth redwood stands in the State. Over the top, awesome, humbling, experience to be there. A very interesting place to stay of visit, although I know you both are campers, is Deetjens . Look them up. Go slow, there is a ton to see and places to stop. Personally I would get out of San Luis quickly. Not that is bad, not at all, I love the place, but the areas up North are so much better you will need the time. Too bad you only have 4 days, 8 would be better.

It was a great trip. after visiting friends in SLO we stayed mostly in the beaches and hills north of cambria. We tend to gravitate towards national forest areas as opposed to state parks because we always have dogs with us, and we like to camp for free! There were nice informal hiking trails along the coast in the general kirk creek area, and you could go forever in the hills above. Sand Dollar Beach was great for beachcombing, relaxing on the sand, letting the dogs play in the water, and taking a chilly dip ourselves. If we had brought the surfboards it looked like good beach break for a beginner like me, with a nice left hander further out for the significant other. It was not crowded, even on a beautiful sunday afternoon- nice laid back feel. We explored the dirt roads off los burros road and nacimiento furgeson road and found great dispersed camping. We did prefer the latter area- it was more accessible and had more options for camping and hiking. The roads seemed to be in good shape overall after the recent rains. Some deep run-off ditches in places but nothing the truck couldn't handle. Lots of wildflowers, everything was green and blooming! Next time we would like to check out the south coast ridge road and hike further into the wilderness areas. 12valve was right- 8 days would be better! Wish I could post some pics but I can't seem to find a way to do it....

1381314_10152721821222166_1094244062475257849_n.jpg1510459_10152721821917166_8874985403978937014_n.jpg1545939_10152721821157166_4117777219539092428_n.jpg10015657_10152721821632166_1899531064084005550_n-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom