Central Nevada 1st Week of 2012

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I'm planning to spend a few days camping in central Nevada next week, likely between the Toiyabe Range and the Monitor Range, south of US 50 and north of US 6.

gallery_2431_358_51702.jpg

Lots of years I've gone to Great Basin National Park (in extreme-eastern NV) between Christmas and New Years...but since I've done that for the past two years-end trips and I was also there for a couple of days in May of this year (on the way home from my Utah trip) I decided to go somewhere in Nevada a little less familiar. I've been to central Nevada several times, too, but not much this time of year.

I plan to spend New Years Eve camped with a few friends at Pike Creek on the east side of Steens Mt, next to the Alvord Desert. So, with that intermediate stop, this is my (tentative) route plan:
To_Central-Nevada.jpg

The route from Bend to Austin, NV, is certain, but the central-Nevada loop is the tentative part, depending on road and weather conditions and what I feel like at the time. I don't know if I'll actually be able to drive over Pete's Summit of the Toquima Range, but it's been dry there for quite a while, and the forecast for central Nevada continues to be dry even as we're starting to receive some precipitation here in Oregon.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this notice in case anyone might be in the area or passing through. :)
I'll be the one who's not stuck...
biggrin.gif

- Mark

Mark,

While I'll be unable to join you, I'll wish you the safest of unstuck travel and will much look forward to your report.

I see Tonopah down at the bottom end of the Toiyabes. Reminds me I need to put "Tehachapi to Tonopah" on my bucket list. I've already "been from Tuscon to Tucumcari".

Happy New Year,

Foy

Mark-you sure do take good trips, spent allot of time in the early 70's working in the Desatoya's , Eastgate and in the Edwards Creek areas-never brave enough to do it in the winter, although this has been a real light winter so far so you may have some fun-as long as the winter holds off. Haven't been back since those days, but have a real good friend who spends allot of time at or near GBNP (last a few months ago). He said there was no one anywhere in that country, just him and that most of the ranchers he talked to were selling out or getting ready to go belly up (No new power/pipe lines to beef up the economy I guess):(. I'm waiting for some new truck parts I ordered before xmas so i could be out and about now---and they sent wrong ones-so now i wait some more-the story of life! If you see a green f150/FWC camper with a border collie in it-somewhere on your journey that means i got my parts and headed northeast and not west to the coast! Have fun!

Smoke

The forecast for central Nevada for the first half of next week is looking good so far.
smile.gif

Austin:
Austin_20111229-1.JPG

Tonopah:
Tonopah_20111229-1.JPG

Combined with the days/weeks of "dry" leading up to this I'd guess that most/all areas that I'd likely want to drive to would be drivable.

The temperatures look unseasonably "comfortable". I actually wouldn't mind if it was gonna be 10 degrees colder...the better to freeze mud, if any.

Now's the time to stop talkin' about it and just do it, so I'm outta here!
smile.gif

I'm joining friends tonight (Craggyman and a few others) to pass into 2012 at Pike Creek on the east side of Steens Mt, then it's on to central Nevada for the rest of the week (unless/until I decide to go somewhere else
rolleyes.gif
).

Weather forecast for the area still looks mighty-fine all week:
gallery_2431_332_17773.jpg

...if you like sunshine, anyway.
biggrin.gif

- Mark

Mark,

While I'll be unable to join you, I'll wish you the safest of unstuck travel and will much look forward to your report.

I see Tonopah down at the bottom end of the Toiyabes. Reminds me I need to put "Tehachapi to Tonopah" on my bucket list. I've already "been from Tuscon to Tucumcari".

Happy New Year,

Foy

Foy, great Lowell George reference. Even though I haven't "driven every kind of truck that's ever been made, I'll even drive the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed. I'll be Willin'.......".

Back
Top Bottom