Central Oregon Residents...

Riverrunner

I know there are a few of you that live in Central OR. If a person was thinking about relocating to the area around Bend, what advice would you give?

Gov't - Local attitude toward County/City policies and overall feel or trust? In other words do the residents feel like the County or City is doing a good job?

Weather - What would a normal winter be like? Is there as much sun as everyone says?

Commuting - I know housing in Bend is steep so the thought would be to locate outside of the Bend area and commute. What would you say is a reasonable commute time or distance? As much as I'd like to be in Prineville, its probably too far. Redmond seems to be where a lot of folks land. What about La Pine?

Commuting in the winter? I can't imagine it being "that" terrible. Maybe a day or two if there was a big storm which would be a lot different that here on the west side.

Property/Acreage - Are there areas that have groundwater (well) issues and or Septic issues that one should be aware of or pay attention to?

I live in Central Oregon -- in Bend, specifically...been here for going on 37 years.
A lot of discussion about this might be better in offline -- PM or email - format, but I'll make some comments based on my experience.

Gov't: Well, it varies, based on the years and who's in power, and it depends on your personal politics -- what you consider a "good" outcome. Since we try to keep politics off WTW I won't say more here.

Weather: There is NOT as much sun as the chamber of commerce and "Visit Bend" people say...unless the definition of "sunshine" is "it's not dark during the daytime". :rolleyes: On the other hand, It's much drier than in "The Valley" (i.e., "Willamette Valley"), and it's sunnier than the Valley most of the time.
It does get cold here...not Montana, Dakotas, Minnesota cold, but the average low in the winter is in the 20s. It can drop below zero, too, though some years it doesn't.
While the arid climate means that we usually don't get a lot of snow (usually just a few inches per storm, though a foot or more is possible), the cold temperature means that what snow falls can stick around for a while -- in shady areas, anyway. Roads can stay icy long after it snows.
I like the low humidity -- lower than the Valley.
I'll add this: If you're outside during summer evenings you may want to have a sweater handy -- it rarely stays warm at night.

Commuting: The worst commute -- in the winter -- is to/from south of Bend -- Sunriver and especially LaPine. There is more snow south of Bend (because it's higher elevation), and south of Sunriver, towards LaPine, US97 goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. Maybe 30 -40 minute drive time between the south end of Bend and north end of LaPine when there aren't weather issues.
Yes, a lot of people live in more-affordable Redmond, and US 97 is 4 lanes between Bend and Redmond. Maybe 15-20 minute drive time between the north end of Bend and south end of Redmond.
People do live in Prineville and work in Bend, too...whether or not it's reasonable may depend on how economical is your commuting vehicle.
My personal winter-driving: I drive a front-wheel-drive (not 4x4) car most of the time, including in snowy winter. I also run studded snow tires. That combination works fine for me, and I only drive my truck around town when the snow is too deep to get out of my long driveway in my car.

Property/Acerage: LaPine is notorious for water-table vs septic system problems. That's because it has a much higher water table than Bend or Redmond; those areas to the north mostly sit on permeable lava with the water table hundreds of feet down.
"Water table hundreds of feet down": Consider this when considering drilling a well.
I've lived in the same house for almost 30 years, so I don't pay much attention to real estate.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more input from me. :)

Thanks Mark. Very helpful info. I might PM you about some other stuff if that is preferable as I do my due diligence.

4llamas - Thanks for the link. I'll have to spend some time there and poke around.

I've lived in the Willamette Valley my whole life. The thought of picking up and moving is a bit scary and overwhelming. Lots of what if's and how do I's... I can't retire so I'll need a job too, which I'm working on as well. I'm weary of living in the Grass Seed Capital of the world (rye & fescue) and being allergic to the grass. I'm tried of the wet and grey winters although this last winter has been great weatherwise. Lots to think about and the changes will be huge.

Riverrunner said:
Thanks Mark. Very helpful info. I might PM you about some other stuff if that is preferable as I do my due diligence.
You're welcome, and feel free to send me offline messages.

I've seen Bend's population quadruple (from less than 20,000 to more than 80,000) in the 37 years I've lived here, but I still like it. I didn't move here in search of a small town anyway, it just happened that the company I went to work for after college is located in Bend.

I assume that you've visited Central Oregon over the years, so you know it doesn't have the lush, beautiful green-ness of "the West Side" -- because it doesn't have the depressing dampness of "the Wet Side". Some people don't like the gray-green tones of sagebrush and juniper of the East Side. Some people find their lips need a lot of chapstick. Your outlook and your body may adapt in time.... ;)

...... I can't retire so I'll need a job too, which I'm working on as well....

I assume you'll try to figure that one out first. Tourism is Central Oregon's biggest industry, and most jobs in that field are low-paying, a lot of them minimum wage. But obviously there is a whole range of employment outside of the "biggest industry". If you're an orthopedic surgeon you may be in luck -- lots of sports-related injuries in this sporty town..and people slipping on ice-covered sidewalks! ;)
Good luck. :)

I assume that you've visited Central Oregon over the years, so you know it doesn't have the lush, beautiful green-ness of "the West Side" -- because it doesn't have the depressing dampness of "the Wet Side". Some people don't like the gray-green tones of sagebrush and juniper of the East Side. Some people find their lips need a lot of chapstick. Your outlook and your body may adapt in time....
Yep, been there lots and always enjoy the desert atmosphere. In the last month we've spent about 10 days in that neck of the woods for HS Rodeo. Always been a want of mine since I was a kid to live east of the mountains. Fits my lifestyle and I'd like to have some space. I like the sagebrush, juniper and pines. I will miss the Coast and Columbia River so we'll see how that will play into it. But, with all of the breweries, lakes and forest, how can you go wrong. ;)

I assume you'll try to figure that one out first. Tourism is Central Oregon's biggest industry, and most jobs in that field are low-paying, a lot of them minimum wage. But obviously there is a whole range of employment outside of the "biggest industry". If you're an orthopedic surgeon you may be in luck -- lots of sports-related injuries in this sporty town..and people slipping on ice-covered sidewalks!
Job first for sure. My background is civil engineering/project management type stuff. If I can land a job I'll be ok.

When we moved to Central Oregon 25 years ago we had many of the same questions. Trusted sources told us the west side of Bend was the place to be and we never regretted that advice. The keys were a good real estate agent, patience and timing. Weather and politics proved to be highly variable. I think that Central Oregon is going to get a large influx of climate refugees in the near future.

Commuting long distance from a cheaper home versus moving close to work and walking or bicycling is a personal choice. I see many nice ranchettes for sale on the perimeter of town but they look like a lot of work and everything you need requires driving. We come firmly down on paying more for a home in town and less on transportation. We avoid driving as much as possible which is fairly easy because most daily needs in Bend are only a mile or two away. Commuting by car is unhealthy, frustrating and a huge waste. Depending on the winter driving can be downright dangerous if you have no choice. I have been grateful many times for the flexibility to walk where I need to go.

Wherever you settle but especially outside of town be very careful of water rights, septic, fire danger, road maintenance responsibility, development codes, and plans for the area. Bend is currently updating its urban boundaries. A responsible real estate agent will know these things.

park said:
I just left Bend last spring after 20 years. Reason.....too many people!
HAHA! I guess it depends on your perspective. From where I sit, Central OR isn't crowded at all. I'm willing to trade my million plus population for a couple hundred thousand and some wide open spaces.

Thanks Bigfoot - I've been looking at the UGB info. If I can make this move happen we'd be looking for property outside of town. Commuting will likely be a necessary evil after 15 years of not having one.

park said:
I just left Bend last spring after 20 years. Reason.....too many people!
Compared to what? In 1990 the pop. was about 24,000. That grew to 36,000 in 10 years during the housing bubble, plus the city annexed another 15,000 or so. By now we are over 80,000 because it's a great place to live. Still considered a small city but large enough to have most civilized amenities. Many smaller cities have hardly grown at all or even lost population, so their residents have to drive long distances for daily needs.

During that time traffic, tourists and dogs have increased dramatically in Bend. So have good places to eat, drink, shop and learn. Many roundabouts help moderate the traffic effects, and several foot bridges across the river make walking easier. Access to public land is a few more minutes away and popular trailheads can fill up earlier, but there are still many choices.

I have visited most of the small towns in Oregon (and all of the counties). Each has its pluses and minuses. What's the best balance for you?

It's not very productive to argue about what kind of town (or anything else) someone should like, since people like different things. Different people attach very different values to the same things.

Some people don't want to live anywhere they can see another structure, and some people would live nowhere but Manhattan (the one in NY, not the one in NV.).

And of course, everyone likes what they like best. ;)

Yes, that's why I ask about what others find to be the best balance. Some people love a city such as Pilot Rock--motto, "It's not the end of the world but you can see it from here." Others want remote--could you live at Five Bar? Meanwhile, nearly all the country's population growth has occurred in metro areas. Many rural areas have lost population.

Living in the county areas of Central Oregon has its attractions but also many liabilities. Around Bend a common refrain is "too many people"--often from those who were faced with the same greeting when they moved here. Often what they really mean is too much bad growth that ruins neighborhoods and natural areas, and generates car traffic and bad behavior. Worth discussing.

Back
Top Bottom