Central Wyoming

ktn00000

Trip through central Wyoming, great history.

Four wheel drive not required in good weather but endless things to go see in the backcountry!

Atlantic City:

securedownload-15.jpg

Miners Delight (a ghost town not far from Atlantic City)

securedownload-6.jpg

securedownload-14.jpg

securedownload-8.jpg

securedownload-7.jpg

securedownload-9.jpg

Independence Rock inscriptions. Travelers on the Oregon Trail had to be here by the 4th of July to get across to the Pacific without getting caught short in the snow. Many carved there names and the date in the rock as they camped next to the Sweetwater:

securedownload-2.jpg

securedownload-1.jpg

securedownload-4.jpg

Devils Gate on the Oregon Trail:

securedownload.jpg

South Pass City, site of the Wyoming gold rush:

securedownload-19.jpg

securedownload-22.jpg

Sinks Canyon:

securedownload-28.jpg

The Sinks in Sinks Canyon:

securedownload-29.jpg

In the Wind River Range:

securedownload-25.jpg

securedownload-26.jpg

You can spend a long time in central Wyoming and not see everything there is.

I love Wyoming, and the days I made this trip the weather was excellent. However Wyoming typically has the most challenging weather on any state I have been to (and I have been to 49 of them). Okay, maybe Alaska in the winter is worse. High winds much of the year, bitter cold in the winter, and snow. I have driven through 250 miles of blowing snow at the end of May. The dirt roads are often clay and rain turns them onto a terrible slippery mess.

If you do a little homework there is a lot to see in Wyoming off the beaten path, not mention the well known places like Yellowstone, Tetons, Bighorn mountains, devils Tower, Medicine Bow mountains, Snowy range, etc.

Every part of Wyoming is breathtakingly beautiful if you take the time to see it. Most people just treat it like fly-over country.

Back
Top Bottom