Chainsaw and FWC

Image1515538857.377861.jpgImage1515538871.702785.jpg

We burn wood and frequently travel with chain saw, but when traveling with FWC we do not have room but carry an axe and a Silky Katanaboy, which comes with an extra blade and scabbard with shoulder strap. I got mine online at Baileys. It’s a wood eating machine.

Even a big chain saw with the bar off doesn’t take up much room. Might find a tub that seals tightly or even a pelican case that the motor would fit into

Vic, check out the Big Boy model at MEC. I got one at xmas for hiking trail clearing. Only used it a few times (mild winter) but it's seems to be a nice folding saw and at good price for it. I'll start carrying it in the truck as a replacement to my old "orange" hand saw. Will still carry a chain saw tho ... and axe, and loppers, and hand pruners - don't like scratches, haha !

EDIT if that's to small (14") one could consider a cross cut saw ...
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/one-man-premium-lynx-brand-3ft-crosscut-saw.html

:)

Beach said:
Makita now has a 36V chainsaw. Uses two 18v lithium batteries. So if you already have the makita18V drill/tools, your set
I broke down and got a Makita 36V chainsaw. It wasn't cheap, but came with four 5ah 18v batteries, which are interchangeable with my other Makita tools, and I needed at least one battery to replace my aging remaining battery, so justification ... ;)
I even splurged and got a simple Makita LED flashlight, which will run an amazing 95 hours on the 5ah battery.

Normally, I travel with a bow saw, which we have used to clear a tree across the road, taking turns.
But, there's this other leaner tree that seems to be lower every year when we go to our secret Phoenix Camp.
Next summer, the Makita saw is coming along! :ninja:

I've used the Makita to drop a 12" dry oak and did quite a bit of limbing and it does pretty well on one set of batteries.
I'll always travel with two sets, now that I have four batteries. :D

klahanie said:
Vic, check out the Big Boy model at MEC. I got one at xmas for hiking trail clearing. Only used it a few times (mild winter) but it's seems to be a nice folding saw and at good price for it. I'll start carrying it in the truck as a replacement to my old "orange" hand saw. Will still carry a chain saw tho ... and axe, and loppers, and hand pruners - don't like scratches, haha !

EDIT if that's to small (14") one could consider a cross cut saw ...
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/one-man-premium-lynx-brand-3ft-crosscut-saw.html

:)
that cross cut looks awesome!

Not finding enough gear space in, on or about the Swift to include a chainsaw; and for now am content with an Iltis Oxhead 2 1/2 pounder with a custom 42" handle.
big fir 074.jpg
As a suggestion for traveling with a chainsaw, Sigg aluminum fuel bottles are a handy and secure way to carry mix and bar oil. I have a smallish Stihl, and a quart bottle of fuel and two pint bottles for bar oil go a long way.
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/fueltran/sources/alumfuel/index.htm

These chainsaw posts remind me of the time my brothers and I took along a 120-volt electric chain saw on our annual camping trip.

The brother with the camper came to pick me up but had forgotten his chain saw. My gas one wasn't working so we joked about taking my (corded) electric one and speculated on how long the extension cord would have to be. Then I thought of my Honda generator.

It turns out the saw worked very well. But I felt a little silly lugging the generator through the woods with me as we searched for firewood.

Who got to carry the generator while the other was cutting ?

Just a humerous thought.

We carry a 24 " long bow saw blade only as part of the rescue pak....also a narly 24 " long metal cutting blade I found in some surplus place.

David Graves

cuervo said:
Not finding enough gear space in, on or about the Swift to include a chainsaw; and for now am content with an Iltis Oxhead 2 1/2 pounder with a custom 42" handle.
attachicon.gif
big fir 074.jpg
As a suggestion for traveling with a chainsaw, Sigg aluminum fuel bottles are a handy and secure way to carry mix and bar oil. I have a smallish Stihl, and a quart bottle of fuel and two pint bottles for bar oil go a long way.
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/fueltran/sources/alumfuel/index.htm
Looks like you had a far distance to get past the bark to start crosscutting. Fun project!!!

pvstoy said:
Looks like you had a far distance to get past the bark to start crosscutting. Fun project!!!
A big old Doug fir in the Gila Wilderness with a good six inches of bark and punky sapwood before we could start sawing. Tricky bit of work, having it suspended over the trail, all too easy to pinch the crosscut. Took two of us all morning to drop the section out but as you see it was one of our finer moments!

Attachments

• big fir 090.jpg
    big fir 090.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 208
Considering I end up going into areas that are rarely traveled or on USFS roads were that aren't open I end up carrying a chainsaw to clear roads. An axe, pruning saw or bow saw work fine for cutting fire wood. An arborist saw are small and light. I will stick with my Stihl though personally

drewdown said:
Thank you for responding to my actual question. I may have to look into a more compact saw. I do love my Stihl though. If I empty it and put it in the carrying case it probably would be okay inside the camper. I'll have to look into some other ways people mount stuff.
I love my stihl as well. I've had three of them.
I went on the Stihl website and they now carry battery powered chainsaws as well!

Here's the link if you're interested...

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/

Back
Top Bottom