Charging from shore power

DonC

Plugged my camper into shore power when batteries were at 76%. I initially saw +10 amps on my trimetric, but after an hour it has settled in at 5.5 amps of charging and it seems to make no difference if the fridge is on or off, it stays at 5.5 amps at 13.2V.

I've never checked the readings when plugged into shore power. Are these readings within norms?

That sounds like good charging amps for a deep cycle to me but I use a charger as my camper has no inverter

Yep, sounds normal. If you have the Iota charger, it'll keep charging until you get to 13.6 volts then the amps will go to zero. When you are drawing power from the batteries, the charger puts just enough amps in to cover it, so the net amps on the trimetric will be zero when you are at 13.6 V. At least that is what I have found with mine.

Don, if you have the factory Waeco refrigerator, it will switch to AC. Thus no draw on the battery and the Trimetric will not show a decrease in charge current.

When I plug mine in, assuming the battery isn't already at full charge my Iota with the smart charger, gives me 14.2 (I think, its plugged in atm so I can't check) and then drops to 13.6 when its fully charged.

thanks all
photohc - yea that makes sense, sure blanked out on the obvious

Back
Top Bottom