Charging station in our Hawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We like to travel with electronics: two phones, a tablet or laptop, and camera battery charger for starters. I've managed to purchase 12v or USB chargers for all our devices. :)

This post is about how I successfully installed a 12v and a dual USB charger. If you are interested in learning why polarity matters, then refer to my unsuccessful attempt posted here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8217-too-many-amps/

Our Hawk came with one 12v receptacle, conveniently located right in front of the stove/sink counter directly on top of a drawer. We decided I should build a charging station.

My first step was to install a wood shelf where the bed pullout normally would be used. We use the stock 48" width of the bed happily, and never carry the cushions or the pullout. I had a piece of solid alder at work I cut to size and hung it off the side of the little sliding cabinet that runs above our rollover couch.

I have to credit XPMarc for setting me up with the correct color coded wire and the two devices, plus an inline fuse (made in the Netherlands!). In return, I got involved in helping his friend tear down a VW Syncro at the shop, so it was both fun and productive. Maybe the beer just made me feel productive!

Here's the install:

Tie directly into house battery, using color coded wire. Note 15A fuse installed on positive conductor.

I opted to wrap the jacketed wire in corrugated loom protection. I had to drill next to the couch hardware, but otherwise used all existing screw holes for the cable clamps.

I used the twin-tang blade connectors from XP to jumper wire from the 12v device to the USB device. Plus goes with plus and Minus goes with minus!! Who knew?

I had to drill out the previous cheapo installation, so these are not perfect, but they are very functional.

View of wood shelf

Voila! :) :) :) The laptop charger in action!

We're looking forward to field testing the install starting next Saturday as we head towards DV and points beyond!

Came out nice. Now I have to look for a 12 charger for my rMBP. I have always just used a small inverter.

Bill

That looks nice and handy. We set our items under the table along the window. That's why I placed our charging station in the corner. Have a great trip and safe travels!

billharr said:
Came out nice. Now I have to look for a 12 charger for my rMBP. I have always just used a small inverter.

Bill
Is that a retina display? :)
We found a charger for our MBP on Amazon. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-MagSafe-Charger-Adapter-Notebook/dp/B006RAFVSI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1387347764&sr=8-6&keywords=macbook+pro+12v+charger+magsafe+2

I'm sure it's more efficient to eliminate the inverter. Since the laptop is our biggest draw, and I expect to use my laptop quite a bit on this trip, it made sense to try this method. We're deferring any decisions on adding solar by becoming more efficient with our consumption.

Andy I like the idea of not using the inverter to do my lap top charging.The charger you posted from Amazon,is that the whole 12v charger with cord or do I need some other part?
Right now I use the inverter,built in on the camper and another portable one in the truck cab to do my charging.
Frank

Andy I found a charger,GPK Magsafe for the Mac pro $28 On Amazon is that the one you use?
Do you you use less battery when charging from 12v than the inverter?
If so than I am in.I want to save as much battery as possible for things like the heater.
Frank

Frank, I will have to rely on a more knowledgeable member to verify the 12v charger is more efficient. I think MarkBC uses a 12v charger also. Susan ordered it, so I don't have the exact link for our unit with me.

When I bought my Lenovo ThinkPad I paid extra for a charger that allows me to switch between 110v AC and 12v DC. It's a pretty big charger compared to the 110v AC-only charger, but not too big to carry in my computer bag. I've used it many times in the past and it works fine to charge the laptop and work from. I'm guessing it may have an inverter inside it to manage the 12v DC current.

Here's mine, a push button voltage meter for my dual batteries and a three cigarette lighter(5amp), and 5 amp USB charger I bought at pepboys and just recessed into my skampers plywood wall with 5 minute epoxy to hold it in

Here it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom