Chasing Abbey - Road Trip through Utah

hoyden said:
Hey! Thanks! and Fantastic!
Also, I'm about to post a group campering to Utah in October 21- 24 - maybe y'all can join us!
So far we have reservations to camp at the North Rim campground first week of October. Spouse is due in St George for the Huntsman Senior Games Oct. 6-15 (she plays volleyball). We had planned to do most of our exploring before the games. Maybe we can shift to later and join your group. Would be fun to meet some others from WTW.

hoyden, both the Lady and I want to let you know how much we enjoy your trip stories. Your first trip home for thanksgiving set the hook and now we watch for what you are up to next. We so enjoy your perspective and sharing your learning experiences. The family element and memories of the past seal the deal. You have so much in your backyard, it is so refreshing to see a young person getting out to discover it as you are. Great job and best wishes for continued happy camping! :)

Sounds like a great trip. I thought your question about a hatch vs fan over the bed was interesting. I have wondered for a long time why I dont see more marine hatches and wind hood/scoops on campers? You can probably find a marine hatch that will fit the standard vent size, most hatches can be ordered with screens and even shades. Add a simple wind scoop when needed an you have a hatch you can peek out of or see the stars, or pull fresh air via simple cloth air scoop.

I've thought that if we had a camper built I would probably have it set up to fit a bow hatch large enough to stand up through, for both ability to do a camp check while safely up high and also roof access and all the other great things you get with that.

takesiteasy said:
So far we have reservations to camp at the North Rim campground first week of October. Spouse is due in St George for the Huntsman Senior Games Oct. 6-15 (she plays volleyball). We had planned to do most of our exploring before the games. Maybe we can shift to later and join your group. Would be fun to meet some others from WTW.
That'd be great! Keep checking n the meetup plan http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12465-oct-21-24-group-utah-campering-gathering/ and hopefully we can all connect!

ski3pin said:
hoyden, both the Lady and I want to let you know how much we enjoy your trip stories. Your first trip home for thanksgiving set the hook and now we watch for what you are up to next. We so enjoy your perspective and sharing your learning experiences. The family element and memories of the past seal the deal. You have so much in your backyard, it is so refreshing to see a young person getting out to discover it as you are. Great job and best wishes for continued happy camping! :)

Thank you so much! Your comments made my day!

CALIcamperdad said:
Sounds like a great trip. I thought your question about a hatch vs fan over the bed was interesting. I have wondered for a long time why I dont see more marine hatches and wind hood/scoops on campers? You can probably find a marine hatch that will fit the standard vent size, most hatches can be ordered with screens and even shades. Add a simple wind scoop when needed an you have a hatch you can peek out of or see the stars, or pull fresh air via simple cloth air scoop.

I've thought that if we had a camper built I would probably have it set up to fit a bow hatch large enough to stand up through, for both ability to do a camp check while safely up high and also roof access and all the other great things you get with that.
I would love to have a "skylight" over the bed so I could star gaze while falling asleep!

You don't need a bow hatch, just get a periscope! ;)

I'm going to research this skylight idea....

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Great trip report Hoyden. Thanks for sharing. Making me itch to get back to those places.
Thanks, Tuff Guy 62! I've done a good job then ;)
Utah should hire me as for PR! Ha!

This happened too! Broked!

(to be fair, it was actually broked before... but I bent it back into shape that last time. This just...re-did it.)

IMAG9105.jpg

Funny you mentioned the dog food issue. Memorial weekend I was heading up 50 when suddenly I went, hey, I never grabbed the bag with the dog food! Fortunately Riley has no problem eating strange brands (sure wasn't going to feed him my chicken tacos).

And yet more places to add to my wish list.

hoyden said:
This happened too! Broked!

(to be fair, it was actually broked before... but I bent it back into shape that last time. This just...re-did it.)

IMAG9105.jpg
Mine is the same way. Just stuff it up inside your bumper until you need it. Or if you have time drill a hole in the bumper and mount it there. I'm certain this is the reason the new Tacoma's have the receptacle built into the bumper instead of underneath it.

I really enjoyed your trip report Hoyden. I always like to hear stories about how ones parents took them camping and such when they were young kids and that set the stage for a love outdoors for the rest of their lives.

Old "Cactus Ed" would be proud...

ETAV8R said:
Mine is the same way. Just stuff it up inside your bumper until you need it. Or if you have time drill a hole in the bumper and mount it there. I'm certain this is the reason the new Tacoma's have the receptacle built into the bumper instead of underneath it.
I was thinking about doing the mounting-in-bumper thing. Looked it up. Doesn't seem too difficult.
Silly design for a vehicle that goes off-road....

GroovyDad said:
I really enjoyed your trip report Hoyden. I always like to hear stories about how ones parents took them camping and such when they were young kids and that set the stage for a love outdoors for the rest of their lives.

Old "Cactus Ed" would be proud...
I was lucky to have grown up the way I did.
We lived out in the country, so my youth was spent barefoot, running around through forests, gathering snakes and turtles and growing pollywogs. Grandpa and I would take the old rowboat out on the lake and go fish for bluegill and catfish.

Thanks!

allanb said:
Wonderful trip report hoyden. Love the hatch and/0r skylight over the bed idea. The new North Star has a skylight by the backdoor over the shower. Would like a hatch for access and star gazing over the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Thanks!

I was looking at marine skylights, but got nervous about taking out the fan and ending up with leaking. We'll see...
It would be so wonderful to lie in bed looking up at the stars....

Back
Top Bottom