Chasing History - Death Valley - Spring 2016

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
What an incredible trip we had! We traveled back to Death Valley for Spring Break and managed, despite the large amount of visitation due to the wildflower super bloom, being completely alone most days. Nine nights were spent in our trusty camper. When I ask the Lady what has been her favorite trip, her answer is always, "The one we just did!" I will heartily agree with her this time.

It will take a while to complete the story. I will do my best to stay vigilant to the task. Here's the beginning...............................

Chasing History - Death Valley - Spring 2016 - Part One

and Part Two is now up -

Chasing History - Death Valley - Spring Break 2016 - Part Two

And Part Three is up -

Chasing History - Death Valley - Spring Break 2016 - Part Three

and Part Four is up -

Chasing History - Death Valley - Spring Break 2016 - Part Four

The final installment is now up and posted on our blog -

Chasing History - Death Valley - Spring Break 2016 - Part Five

Another great start to a great adventure. Interesting how so many reports have been shared on Death Valley this year, all different and very special. It has been like reading a book with many different chapters. It is almost like I'm standing in the Valley surrounded by beautiful flowers and history. Hope to have the opportunity to visit there. Thanks Ski for posting and looking forward to the next part. jd

Arrrgh! Here we go again. I'm supposed to be working 12-14 hours a day, yet now I've got the Sou Cal DeLorme and the Benchmark on the floor beside my home office work station. Lead on, 3-Pins, lead on. Just don't tell my CPA firm partner I'm following along!

Foy

You have such a distinctive rig, Basin Deranged, you were easy to spot! Yup, that was us, getting our boots on, chompin' at the bit wanting to hit the trail. We were also out strolling in the wash when you drove out around 6 am Saturday morning. Hope you had a great trip! :)

Looks like a great trip, beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Great story telling as always. The history of that area got us hooked when we bumped into both of you and the Spiders not so long ago. Those flower shots are looking really sharp. I think those photo investments are paying off!

Well Ski3pins, I must say this is another great trip tale! Thanks so much for all that you share!
How long does this bloom typically last? On another note-I see that you have had some Goatmeal cereal? I had never heard of that until I just read your post. I just found out that it is made in Canada. Were you able to purchase it in California somewhere or did you purchase it via mail order? It seems that CA is your state of residence.

Thanks again for the great trip reports

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

All, thank you so much for your kind comments and for enjoying our trip stories and photos. It means a lot to both of us and is appreciated! :)

whitedog9 said:
<snip>

How long does this bloom typically last?

On another note-I see that you have had some Goatmeal cereal? I had never heard of that until I just read your post. I just found out that it is made in Canada. Were you able to purchase it in California somewhere or did you purchase it via mail order? It seems that CA is your state of residence.

<snip
whitedog9. blooms in Death Valley are dependent on the amount and timing of fall/winter rain events. How long the flowers last depend on weather (heat & wind). Most of the classic Desert Gold flowers were gone when we visited, but the bloom was moving up in elevation with nice showings of flowers that fit habitat and elevation. This will continue to progress uphill as Spring advances.

Thanks for the info on real "Goatmeal"! We'll have to check that out. Many years ago friends started calling our regular breakfast of "oat meal" "goat meal" as a joke, saying that it powered us to handle the outdoors like mountain goats.

All, I'm working on more installments and will post them as completed. More adventure to follow! :)

Ski, you'll be the Death of me in your Valley. I've missed spring in the desert this year, thanks for bringing it closer to home. I finally have a new mac and have to say your pictures look better than ever. Thanks for t-his-story lesson, double entrée intended.

Wow, I'd sure like to know more about the "Cottonwood Water" spring's variable flow rate. From bone dry to what looks like a healthy flow-- overnight! Uptake by the trees? "Wicking" laterally through the soils as the soil warms during daylight hours then cools at night?

As always, quite nice. Thanks so much for the effort.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom