Chassis Cab "Showdown": RAM 3500 vs. F-350

Durango1

I posted this first on the expo site. (Those guys are some serious gear heads which I'm not!) However, this group is much more focused on the camping lifestyle Sioux and I do. So I value your observations:

OK, let's get this out right away. My wife says it is a sickness. I've got a great 4WD Ram 2500 crew cab with a 2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed that I've built out to perfection inside. We love it! Can I stop there? NO! (Sioux is right- I'm sick!)

So I've been reflecting on buying a regular cab (it is almost always just the two of us) Ford or Ram SRW Chassis Cab. Why on the Chassis Cab? They just make a flat bed build so much easier and allow a 34" wide X 6" high "shovel box" the full length of the bed. The standard gas tanks are much larger and the longer bed will easily fit a Flatbed Grandby. (Or other FB camper.) Whether Ford or Ram I'll go with the gas engine. (Our 2012 Ram only has 20K one owner miles!)

Folks, I'm no mechanic. My cursory research leads me away from Chevy with the IFS and last time I drove their standard gasser it felt anemic. So I'm in-between the Ram 3500 or the F-350 single rear wheel chassis cab. I like that the Ford can be optioned with a locking differential but then I have to admit that our Ram with the limited-slip differential has never been stuck nor has had any problems yet. (Only 20K miles though!)
smile.gif

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of the Ram vs. Ford and thanks in advance!

Steve

Sioux if definitely right, you are suffering from a sickness. I was recently diagnosed with the same disease.

The doc says I'm afflicted with PTWS.

Pagan Truck Worship Syndrome

The only known cure is massive infusion treatments of cash. :D

Steve, it's been years since I owned a Dodge truck, so my observation may not be valid at all. On these trucks, I felt the drivetrain was really good, but body fit and finish was lacking. They were both were late '70s models. I did drive both the 2014 Ram 2500 and 3500 models when we were looking for our new truck. Both were diesel crew cab models, had plenty of power, seemed comfortable in the cab, but maybe a bit harsh riding. We went with the Ford F-350 SRW CCLB.

Some are saying the Aisin tranny on the Ram is a worthwhile upgrade with the 6.4 Hemi. However, it only comes with the 4.44 axle ratio. Given the load on the truck (we travel heavy and will likely be close to the 10,000# GVW!) will that gearing be too low? Our current go to speed in our Ram with the 3.73 is around 65 mph. Thanks for any input...

10K ain't heavy, I'm usually upwards of 11K.

That gearing would seem pretty low, you could probable pull buildings off their foundations. I wonder how the final drive ratios through the tranny are. It may have some decent overdrives that offset that at highway speeds. Or you could use it as an excuse to go full Bro-Dozer and put 44" Mudswamper tires on it :)

I thought long and hard about the Ram Tradesman last year, but, ended up with the F-350 156"WB CC in Lariat. Putting in long days of driving from NC to the West makes the Lariat features (especially leather Captain seats with BIG center console) really eases the fatigue of 12 hour days in the cab. It was a huge difference in comfort from my F-250 XLT to the F-350 Lariat. Absolutely no comparison in riding comfort. The only thing that really needs improved upon IMO for any Ford Super Duty is the suspension. Ford leaf/coil suspensions and shocks (even the FX4 Ranchos) are not very ride compliant. Old Man Emu should be providing Ford with suspension components. An OME upgrade is worth every penny.

I'm a diesel aficionado. The diesel pulls a heavy combined load (truck/camper and trailer) effortlessly. My MPG is the same laden v unladen.

Rear locker. I have it and can't say I have ever driven any Super Duty where I would need a rear locker. It is an electronic locker which is not nearly as reliable as an air locker.

If I could have found a F-350 Crew or Super chassis cab with SRW, 4WD with Lariat package, I would have jumped on it. My dealer looked as far away as TX without success. I would have had to special order it and not received ~35% of the nearly $20K in incentives and discounts I received on the in stock F-350. The incentive fine print is always the gotcha..."sale must be from dealer inventory".

The only advantages to the chassis cab as I see it, the flatbed will be about 3.5" lower and the standard fuel tank has a greater capacity. But I plan on using an Aluminess rear bumper with tire carrier. Moving the spare to the carrier frees up the space occupied by the spare for the installation of a 30G Titan fuel cell.

I'm a Dodge guy so no question about where I stand on your original post. I think the 6.4 Hemi/Aisin combo would be great if you can get it. I also have considered moving to a regular chassis cab configuration for the same flatbed reasons but...I would miss being able to recline my seat and take a "snappy nappy" while breaking up the drive on long distances. My "club cab" doesn't add as much wheelbase as a crew cab arrangement, though. Just sayin'...YMMV. Good luck on your final decision.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I'm a Dodge guy so no question about where I stand on your original post. I think the 6.4 Hemi/Aisin combo would be great if you can get it. I also have considered moving to a regular chassis cab configuration for the same flatbed reasons but...I would miss being able to recline my seat and take a "snappy nappy" while breaking up the drive on long distances. My "club cab" doesn't add as much wheelbase as a crew cab arrangement, though. Just sayin'...YMMV. Good luck on your final decision.
I get it on the club cab. But given we have so much storage with the underbed boxes on a 9' long flatbed it seems that is "expensive" (in overall length, not money) storage for us! :)

A couple of years ago I pulled the larger of the two back bench seats out of my crew cab Ram and replaced it with storage shelving. But when I analyzed what I store there (propane grill, jump starter, Sioux's trekking poles, two 7 gallon jugs of water, receiver mounted 10,000# winch, folding lawn chairs and table, shovel, axe, etc) it all could be stored better in the large under-bed boxes or the "shovel box" on a new custom flatbed!

Okay Dodge guys got a question :)

I was looking at the Power Wagon and it seems like a pretty cool truck. Not knowing anything about them I asked one of the gear heads at work what he thought of the Hemi. He said they are fine up to 125,000 miles or so then they start having trouble. (I think he said they threw rods???) I got a very similar response from a different mechanic here so I am inclined to believe there is truth to this.

So now I ask the Dodge guys how reliable is the Hemi? I would think a good truck engine would get me over 200,000 miles but that is not what I am hearing......

I've not heard of the Hemi's having major engine problems. I wonder what year range they are talking about?

One really neat thing about Rams (or any Mopar) is that you can get a lifetime Chrysler bumper-to-bumper warranty for about $3K. Unlimited mileage. Repairs handled at any dealer. So if a person was planning on putting on A LOT of miles and/or keeping the truck for a long time, it would be something very valuable that you can't get from the other automakers. (There are some exceptions such as diesels, SRT vehicles, cab/chassis, commercial use, and it's not transferable.)

W6USA said:
(There are some exceptions such as diesels, SRT vehicles, cab/chassis, commercial use, and it's not transferable.)
If I pull the trigger it will be for a chassis cab... :(

Back
Top Bottom