Cheap Jerrycan mounting option

rock and roll

Advanced Member
Today I installed a Jerrycan mount. After doing much research, I determined that all of the existing Jerrycan mounts on the market are much to expensive for my taste. I wanted to leave my tailgate on for various reasons (including this) so I dreamed this up. It cost less than $20 at Home Depot and took less than an hour to install. Here are the pictures:

jerry1n.jpg

jerry2l.jpg

I used 4 3/8" eye bolts (each with 2 washers, 1 lock washer, and 2 nuts). I also used some left over RV sealant to seal the holes. The rest is self explanatory but I can go into more detail if anybody would like.

I'm thinking of doing something similar to create a secure lock (no deadbolt installed at the factory) for when we are away from the camper. Any ideas?

Is that jerry can hard mounted and we just can't see it? Am I missing something? If not you are going to be in for a world of hurt....its going to bounce up and down and move side to side causing you all kinds of problems with abrasion on your back wall

Sorry if I am being presumptuous and missing something but it just seems like it is sitting on the tailgate and locked with wire rope

Is that jerry can hard mounted and we just can't see it? Am I missing something? If not you are going to be in for a world of hurt....its going to bounce up and down and move side to side causing you all kinds of problems with abrasion on your back wall

Sorry if I am being presumptuous and missing something but it just seems like it is sitting on the tailgate and locked with wire rope

Cort, I plan to put down thick strips of rubber on the camper wall and tailgate to stop abrasion. The wire is much tighter than in the picture after I messed around with it, which will also help. Do you have any suggestions on how it could be improved?

Does the tailgate bounce up and down at all?
Seems like this is a fairly cheap solution:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tools/Metal-Jerry-Can-Carrier.aspx?t_c=71&t_s=188&t_pt=8401&t_pl=9603&t_pn=GAS11412

Well considering what you have already done replace the eye bolts with threaded rod...grab some aluminum bar stock and as best you can make two bars that cradle the can and slide onto the threaded rod. If you can't shape it no big deal just use flat stock. use wing nuts to tighten the flat bar pinching the can in place...make sure you protect your back wall with some kind of padding because its still going to move around a bit. It really should be hard mounted...meaning on a cradle, which separates it from the back wall.

Check out Ted's thread on an economical can mount.

Good luck,

Cort

Well considering what you have already done replace the eye bolts with threaded rod...grab some aluminum bar stock and as best you can make two bars that cradle the can and slide onto the threaded rod. If you can't shape it no big deal just use flat stock. use wing nuts to tighten the flat bar pinching the can in place...make sure you protect your back wall with some kind of padding because its still going to move around a bit.

This is great advice. Thank you. I'm going to test out the cable set-up for now and see just how tight I can get things and also mount the rubber strips. If I can't get everything tight enough I'll move to this. Would have probably gone straight to this (half and half anyway) if I had the idea. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again.

Also, thanks Desert Rancher for the idea. I also was worried about the tailgate moving and that's why I went with this set-up. I searched high and low for some place to mount that (because it's so cheap) but couldn't find a place that would work without some fabrication.

Back
Top Bottom