Chevy Notch

jc1097

Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the same mod that I am planning to do at the end of the month. I have and 05 Hawk and just acquired a 08 Chev shortbed. Problem is the tailgate opening is rounded a the corners and not a 90 degree angle. I have had to put 2 inches of plywood down to lift up the hawk to set it off of the tailgate opening. Not a big deal but the camper now sits even higher off the bed rail and cab causing a serious wind scoop and it just doesnt look right.

FWC and ATC will cut a notch to make the camper fit. Have any of you had this done before? Success? I just hate to cut into the Hawk but it seems like the only choice.

Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the same mod that I am planning to do at the end of the month. I have and 05 Hawk and just acquired a 08 Chev shortbed. Problem is the tailgate opening is rounded a the corners and not a 90 degree angle. I have had to put 2 inches of plywood down to lift up the hawk to set it off of the tailgate opening. Not a big deal but the camper now sits even higher off the bed rail and cab causing a serious wind scoop and it just doesnt look right.

FWC and ATC will cut a notch to make the camper fit. Have any of you had this done before? Success? I just hate to cut into the Hawk but it seems like the only choice.

I notched my ATC Panther to fit my 2007 Chevy. Not too hard to do, just takes a bit of courage. Measure carefully and make the cuts, and then make blocks to cover the gaps. I used glue and barbed nails to secure the blocks which are mitered to fit the angles. I have to pull my camper off today and I will take some pictures.You can contact me
me off list if you want more details.
Dsrtrat

I notched my ATC Panther to fit my 2007 Chevy. Not too hard to do, just takes a bit of courage. Measure carefully and make the cuts, and then make blocks to cover the gaps. I used glue and barbed nails to secure the blocks which are mitered to fit the angles. I have to pull my camper off today and I will take some pictures.You can contact me
me off list if you want more details.
Dsrtrat

Thanks dsrtrat. I think I m going to leave this project to the professionals.... And an excuse to make the trip up north and do a little exploring around Plumas County when I m done. I went to college in Quincy and havent been back since. It would be nice to go back and see the little town. But a picture of the Hawk would be nice to see what to expect. You have a pic of your truck and hawk mounted? I would like to see how far the camper sits off the bed rail and cab.

why would chevrolet do this sort of thing?

My guess is that the radiused corners are stronger than the 90 degree corners.

Big hammer to the bed
blink.gif
!
wink.gif

Thanks dsrtrat. I think I m going to leave this project to the professionals.... And an excuse to make the trip up north and do a little exploring around Plumas County when I m done. I went to college in Quincy and havent been back since. It would be nice to go back and see the little town. But a picture of the Hawk would be nice to see what to expect. You have a pic of your truck and hawk mounted? I would like to see how far the camper sits off the bed rail and cab.

Here are a couple of pictures, I would make a jig to insure uniform cuts if I did it again. You have to pull the furnace to do the drivers side. I used small triangular blocks for the sides and a top peice mitered to close the top. It isn't too hard to do just takes some time. I used glue and small barbed nails with a nail gun to secure the blocks in place.
With a bed mat in place and 21 inch high sides on my Panther I have about 1/2 inch clearance above the factory installed rail caps. Perfect fit.

Attachments

• IMGP0029.JPG
    IMGP0029.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 306
  • IMGP0028.JPG
    IMGP0028.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 305
Thank you sir. It doesnt look bad at all. I m headed up to Sacramento in two weeks for the conversion and might add an awning while Im at it. I ll post a pic of how the factory does it as well.

Please do post a picture of that. I'm considering a Chevy for my next truck, and would like to see whats involved. What year did they make the change??

Digging up old posts for a new Hawk owner. Picking up a 18 Hawk this weekend for my 13 silverado. Did any of these modifications workout?

Back
Top Bottom