Choosing a Multimeter

rock and roll

Advanced Member
I walked into Home Depot and picked up the cheapest multimeter I could find. It works wonders for voltage readings but the amp range is only 200mA, useless for me. After finding this, I walked down to Radio Shack to find something in the 30 amp range, but they didn't have anything over 10A?

So after a $20 lesson, I'll ask you what multimeter are you using with a decent amp range? Going to have to order online, so links would be helpful.

PS. You gentlemen have shared with me enough information get me through electronics 101 thus far. Thanks for the help.

I walked into Home Depot and picked up the cheapest multimeter I could find. It works wonders for voltage readings but the amp range is only 200mA, useless for me. After finding this, I walked down to Radio Shack to find something in the 30 amp range, but they didn't have anything over 10A?

So after a $20 lesson, I'll ask you what multimeter are you using with a decent amp range? Going to have to order online, so links would be helpful.

PS. You gentlemen have shared with me enough information get me through electronics 101 thus far. Thanks for the help.

you wont be able to get a multi meter that does more than 10 amps.
you can get a dedicated ammeter. it will have a meter and a shunt resistor.
you can also get clamp on meters.

if i were standing in front of you i would argue that current measurment is not really worth it and talk you out of bothering with it.

but you are there and i am here.

So after a $20 lesson, I'll ask you what multimeter are you using with a decent amp range?

I'm not, I just work with voltage for monitoring things.

Attachments

• ampmeter.jpg
    ampmeter.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 210
I use a Fluke 115 that I got at Sears. It only goes to 10A. If you are troubleshooting a solar system you can look at each panel separately but you can't look at the controller output if its over 10A unless you use a shunt. The same holds true for your alternator output. For that you need the clamp on meter as UglyScout showed.

It is also my experience that most portable DVMs are limited to 10A. I think the standard DVM test leads and the jacks on the meter are the limiting factors.

Back
Top Bottom