Christmas trip to DVNP

Lighthawk,

Your photos of the Sierra from the Alabama Hills and the Inyo's with clouds are exceptional. Thanks for sharing them and all of your trip with us.

Andy/Susan Looks like I missed the New Years Eve,Eve Spaghetti feast.Mitch said last year's feast was going to be the final one.I am glad the tradition continues.I was at the springs the week before Thanksgiving.Great pictures.Glad to see you guys are not Burro haters.

This is so much fun! We so enjoy your adventures and wonderful photography. Thanks! And yes, we are staying tuned. Excellent work with the hummingbird. :)

Craig, that is five separate shots combined into a gif. I think shutter was at 1/1000, which still has blur on the wings. I'm guessing you might need 1/2500 or faster if you want to freeze all action.

All the photos are great, thanks for posting. The hummingbird shots are really neat. While I was in the valley just before Christmas I was packing up one morning and one of those guys buzzed in to camp. It was so still and quiet it literally made me jump it buzzed so close. By the time I recovered and started fumbling around for my zoom lens it was too late. The rest he took in the nearby creosote bush was over and he moved on.

Looking forward to the final installment!

I was shocked to see the little hummer too. With less than ten hours of daylight, those guys must figure out some way to get through the other fourteen hours without starving. Even then, the daytime temps were in the thirties and forties, with strong winds. Still, they seem to have found a little eco-niche, which probably helps pollinate the flowering shrubs and plants. Tough little guys!

craig333 said:
Interesting. I should never assume I've found a dead hummingbird, not that I ever have.
Just like treating a severely hypothermic patient Craig, they are not dead until they're warm and dead. :)

I loved your TR and photographs. I especially liked the photos of the "Elvis crowd" at Saline Valley. I totally agree with getting the spare fixed before continuing on in that part of the world--even if it meant a lot more driving.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Back
Top Bottom