Cleaning canvas and rubber

camper101

Pretty basic question, but I don't want to mess this up: Can I use Simple Green or Holy Cow to clean the canvas on a 2012 FWC?

I know I need some 303, but I don't have any and I just got home with a dirty camper. It's not horrible, but there is a fair amount of (what I think is) salt on the camper and I want to get it off ASAP. I can't find any 303 locally.

Are those "gentle" cleaners OK or am I better off using water only and waiting until I get my 303? A bit of dish soap maybe?

On a related note, which 303 do I buy? There are several products, but I assume it's just the plain Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner that I want.

Thank you!

Oh, and a photo from the trip below:

Attachments

• FWC2.jpg
    FWC2.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 207
I would assume a gentle cleanser would be fine on the canvas(don't have my Hawk Shell so don't want to fully commit to answer) but I did want to mention that 303 can often be found at Pool and Spa places, as many people use it on their Spa Covers. Hope that helps!

f.

On a related note, which 303 do I buy? There are several products, but I assume it's just the plain Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner that I want.

You want the 303 Aerospace Protectant

Canvas and rubber? One or the other no? The really old units had canvas and the other used the hypolon, spelling? Same material as some rubber boats, ie zodiac. For the later 303 protec all the way, awesome stuff and good for the vehicle as well. As for canvas that one you might have to check out with a tent shop. ie wall tent outfitters etc.
I know that the canvas would breath a lot better than the rubber but not as bullet proof.

Just a little liquid dish soap in a bucket of water should work great.

Pop up the camper roof.

Make sure vents and windows are closed.

Rinse off the dirt gently with a hose the best you can to get things started.

Gently wash the liner with liquid dish soap that has been diluted in a bucket of water.

Rinse everything off with water in the end once it looks clean.

Let it dry as much as possible.

That should be about it.

:)

All good info -- thanks everybody. I'll also try to get by a pool/spa place too.

Griz, I mentioned rubber because the rubber seal around the front of the cabover is covered with the salty stuff too. I have no idea if salt or other chemicals are bad, but I'd prefer to get rid of it quickly.

I have been using 303 for years and would suggest using a mild cleanser on the vinyl prior to applying the 303 Aerospace Protectant. As the label states, it is more of a protectant or "sun screen" than a cleanser. I use 303 on my rafts and also the vinyl on my camper. What I have found in the past is once the 303 is applied any dirt that does not come off or is rubbed in while applying the 303 is tougher to remove later. I just use mild soap and warm water and remove all I can and then I apply the 303 after that. My raft is at least ten years old and looks only 2-3 years old. I also do several coats throughout the summer depending on use and sun exposure.

Just sayin.

Good Camping,

Paul

Good to know, thanks Paul.

Pat, the West Marine isn't super close, but I'm over there occasionally. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom