CO2/ propane detector going off

Doff

Advanced Member
Looking for some help/ advice about our CO2/ propane detector going off.

We bought our FWC new last summer, so we have had it about a year. Since the beginning of this summer our CO2/ propane detector has been going off a lot. it often goes off in the middle of the night when were sleeping. We also find it going off when we are driving. We will stop for gas or something and realize its been alarming. We also find it alarming when the truck is just parked in our driveway. We always turn off the propane tank whenever the truck is in motion. It seems to be happening more frequently. I contacted FWC and they weren't much help. They thought it was "very odd" but couldn't figure out why, They also couldn't tell me how to disable it. They offered to replace the detector, but we live pretty far from them so it will be weeks till we can get there. The alarm has lately been going off so frequently, that we have just stuffed a few pillows on the ground around it to dampen the noise so I don't have to go out to our camper every 30-45min to turn off the alarm. Any suggestions about what to do?

THANKS!

This is a long shot, but…once when our camper was stored in the garage and I was working with some gasoline, the propane detector started going off. Fumes were very light, but it was a closed space. Stopped when I aired the place out. Is there any chance that there are gasoline fumes nearby?

Oh, and we also had it going off once when a huge cloud of road dust got into the camper. I think I’ve seen this mentioned somewhere.

It is a very simple change out. Ours failed at year 5. I bought a replacement from FWC and had them ship it to Indiana. There was a problem with front dinettes because the detector is cut into the battery compartment. Battery off gasing would set it off. It would happened at home, plugged into shore power the camper getting hot. As recommended by FWC, I taped the backside of the detector before installing. Never had another issue.

If you're still under warranty, have FWC mail you a replacement. If not, just go buy one, they're not very expensive. Install by simply changing out the two wires and you're good to go.

I recommend against "muting" or just disconnecting it.

Al

These alarms have a five year life, so prepare to replace the alarm on that schedule. Check the expiration date on the replacement. When I bought a new one, it was already a year old so it had a 4 year life. You should get a discount for that.

Gasoline fumes from a generator, weed eater, gas can, etc. can set it off if located in the camper while traveling.

The Coleman 1 lb propane bottles may off gas some after they have been used. The same may be true of the isobutane canisters. If you carry those, as many of us do, try moving them out of the camper to see if the alarms stop.

Paul

If the batteries are lead acid I would suspect off gassing as mentioned above. Bigfoot Dave

As others have mentioned, they don't seem to last or at least they become overly sensitive after a few years. The following things can set it off: battery charging and off gassing, dust, pet hair, heat and humidity. Battery charging and off gassing seem to be the main culprit. I had continual problems even after replacing it, although fewer issues after replacing. After I switched to Lithium batteries the problem stopped completely.

Dean

Our alarm went off several times in the middle of the night on several camping adventures. I'm going with dog farts. He slept right next to the sensor and had gas issues. He died and I've had no issues since. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

BryanToyFWC said:
Our alarm went off several times in the middle of the night on several camping adventures. I'm going with dog farts. He slept right next to the sensor and had gas issues. He died and I've had no issues since. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Not exactly a double blind test, but I believe your theory.

Mine would randomly go off. Was replaced once under warranty. Was replaced again on my dime.

Would still randomly go off. I actually carry a low pressure gas gauge in the camper. Comes in handy for tourists that visit this altitude and verifying that they actually have no leaks and the pressure is correct from the regulator.

Its amazing how many brand new RV's don't have the regulator set correctly to 11"WC.

Getting back on topic, wire cutters finally fixed my problem.

Vic Harder said:
love the size of that one, and that the expiry date is prominently displayed!
Interesting that they have a date on it (manufacture date) as I thought that the "timer" went off once you powered it up the first time but, maybe they test them after manufacture so that date is simultaneous with build and test. Would make sense and lead me to checking the boxes before purchase to get the latest date possible. :)

When mine goes off, usually when there is high humidity, I push the front reset button and open the battery compartment door a bit. Seems to stop the beeping every time.

The sensor has a surface layer that is consumed over time as it is heated to make the sensor work. As the sensing material is used up, it reaches a point where the detector fails to give reliable detection of the gas.

There are likely mass quantities of statistics produced that are used to generate a reliable time limit in the RV environment. All the replacement detectors I have seen on the shelf probably start with a five year life. Unless the vendor rotates the stock, you could be buying one that is several years old when you picked it off the shelf. Unless you can see the expiration date on the package, buy from a vendor that sells a lot of them so that you are more likely to get a fresh one.

Paul

Charlie said:
Not exactly a double blind test, but I believe your theory.
I have a new dog and the alarm goes off again. Reinforces my dog farts theory.....

Any ideas on an alarm that isn't sensitive to dog farts? Any ideas on what to feed a farting dog so that she emits less gas (methane?).

Inquiring minds want to know. My dog almost killed me last night. Well not literally but it was unpleasant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom