Coffee! How Does It Know?

Hope it doesn’t need to be percolated coffee. I gave that up decades ago after getting my first Melitta filter cone.

Although, I will say that percolated coffee is OK under a tarp in a frog choker rainstorm. :D

Paul

ps. Nothing like starting a coffee maker fight early in the AM. :p

I am almost embarrassed to say I roast our coffee, mill grind it, and do a pour-over through a filter into a chemex flask. I have a lot of coffee info if anyone is interested.

I'm not picky about coffee- at home we use Costco pre-ground bulk stuff and Maxwell House. Sometimes I even mix the 2 in the Mr Coffee.
For real blasphemy I even use those Folger's teabag style coffee bags when camping- nice and easy.

I mysteriously lost my sense of smell several years ago* and smell is very important for taste so I don't care about coffee much- even though I drink too much of it :)

*yes I was checked out medically even including a brain MRI. They can determine no real reason- could have been a virus they said. Loss of smell can be a bad sign sometimes.

Still like my coffee to taste like the roasted beans smell.
I have been using Italian roast from Cost Plus World Market.
Not only is the coffee consistent in taste but very nicely priced.

I use a Breville espresso machine at home and a stove top
espresso pot while camping.
We like to sit and enjoy a great cup of coffee.
Frank

K-cups are nothing if not convenient. I do them at home but not on the road. I do decent coffee when I'm camping. I have something similar to that machine on expo. Its never been used :)

ski3pin said:
It is going to be a hot day here today. The coffee was hot this morning. A coincidence or does the coffee know? :)
It must be that the coffee knows -- after all I feel smarter after a cup of coffee.

I to can't start my day when home or out WTWing without my cup and Melitta filter full of ground up good smelling coffee and a pot of boiling water! And yes coffee makes you smarter :rolleyes:! One of the worst back packing trips I ever had was back in 1967; I had just got out of the Army and me a buddy of mine headed up to the Desolation Wilderness area in the Sierras. I grabbed a jar of that new fangled instant coffee stuff to try it out and it turned out to be the green label decaf stuff and maybe it is better now but we could hardly drink it-even with a shot of whisky around the campfire at night (We could have campfires in those days)l

Smoke

My doctor says I should quit coffee but I just can't do it. I have cut back but a good cup of coffee? Gotta have it :)

I had surgery a month ago and was not allowed to have coffee for 4 days..... you ever have a coffee withdrawal headache? I't like being kicked in the head for days at a time!... We use a stainless drip carafe ...stays hot without a burner plate. On the road ... I will use a percolator with a paper filter. Somebody educate me on easy and tasty.
My dad used to say if you can't float a crowbar on it... it ain't coffee..... I'd flinch watching him put 4 tablespoons of instant into a mug. Looked like tar. He put that mug on the roof of the car and forgot it...we drove 45 miles and that sucker was stuck solid.

I've been a coffee lover since I was a teen. We used a Melitta forever, and came to realize early that a good cup of coffee depends on a lot of factors, including the bean varietal, the roasting method, the grinding method, the coffee maker, the water temp, elevation, and perhaps most importantly, the mental state of the coffee drinker when having that first sip!

Aeropress (inverted method, metal filter & 80*C water) and Phil & Sebastian's coffee, with the direct sourced Maragoygype varietal from the Hartmann estate in Panama being my current favorite.

And since I am the only coffee drinker in the household, a single cup aeropress is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom