Coleman 1lb Porpane Can as Reserve?

Jack

Are there adapter hoses to connect a Coleman 1lb propane can to the hose that connects to the 5lb propane tank? And, would it work?

It would be nice to have a backup 1lb can. Is the pressure out of the 1lb can enough for gas to pass through the pressure regulator and get to the appliances?

I use screw in adapters, converts the connector on the hose to the 20# tanks to the 1# tanks. Paid probably $40.00 from a local RV Parts dealer. The downfall is that you have to hook the hose to the adapter to convert it to a hand connection to the left hand thread connection, then the left hand connection to the small tank. Then from there you have to screw the can into the new end. Little bit of a pain, but make sure you leave the tank right side up, as the regulator can very quickly fill up with liquid while hooking it up, and cause more problems down the line, like when I had liquid propane flare up on my coleman stove, not a pretty site. (Took 3 weeks to grow back the hairs on the backs my hands and eyebrows....note to self, don't get too close to the homefries in the pan to smell the aroma while cooking on the coleman stove outside.)

Attachments

• Propane Adapter.jpg
    Propane Adapter.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 396
I did a search, but missed that post.

However, I think this is what I want:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030006516913a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0470311&cm_ite=0030006516913a

I disconnect the hose from my 5gal tank ("5lb" in my original post), connect it to the adapter, and then screw the Coleman cylinder/can into the other end.

I've use that with a 1# bottle last time when my propane ran out. It works great. Stove and fridge all work just fine. It was during winter and over night low is around 30 and I set the thermostat to the lower and a 1# bottle does not last the whole night.

i carry one of these too...i put the bottle in with the electrical cord.

having never tested it, how long will it last?

The Cabelas Adapter is close to what I'm using, just the difference is on mine I have a 5 foot hose between the ends. Works great. Just doesn't last all night in cold temps, probably would change the tank around 2AM if put on at 10AM with the heater and fridge running. Nice part is if you run out of propane in the 20# tank, at least the 1# tanks will keep you going until you can get to a filling station.

Back
Top Bottom