Colonoscopy

billharr

This fits in "Just shootin the shat" I had my Colonoscopy yesterday, got my first one at 50. I was not a perfect ******* the first time and had a growth removed and was on a 3 year check for a while. This time only one small polyp removed all good. I did have a family history, my uncle died from Colo cancer, so Dr recommended I get one at 50. I was lucky my insurance covered. A good friend has Kaiser and they do not do one unless you have blood in a poop check. He did and had one today, he has cancer. F#@k Kaiser.

If you are 50 get your self checked. Detection is the cure.

Bill

Getting one is more mental, the worst part is the clean out prep, and that is not too bad, just stay home. Really not many good excuses not to have one.... Could very well save you life! I had mine when I was 50. Thanks for posting this up.

billharr said:
If you are 50 get your self checked. Detection is the cure.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Excellent advise Bill. Glad it went well.

pvstoy said:
Getting one is more mental, the worst part is the clean out prep, and that is not too bad, just stay home. Really not many good excuses not to have one.... Could very well save you life! I had mine when I was 50. Thanks for posting this up.
Mr. Bill, good advise. Get one, its not that bad and could save your life. Everything is better when you catch it early. pvstoy is right, it's mental. All the old time bathroom humor comes out, buck up, put up with it, get it done.

I had my colon looked at so many times I suggested they just put in a port. Doc said I already had one.

One of the Lady's girlfriends gets her first one in the morning. The Lady just called to check on her and wish her well.

You can always add blood to your sample. Its not fun but its not that bad either. Kaiser did mine. Clean as a whistle.

I am having one done on the 8th. I have been having some trouble with my stomach. What is it like the next day? I have to work the next day and I am a little worried about not feeling great.

I love those drugs they give you. If you've not had one, the prep isn't as bad as it used to be (from what I hear) and mine was pretty simple. You don't have to drink as much water anymore and you can mix the stuff with Gatorade or any clear liquid (tequila, vodka, etc. :)). Just don't go to far from the bathroom because it comes pretty quickly. Also, schedule your procedure as early as possible. Then you are in and out and don't have to refrain from eating all morning.

I have Kaiser and had my procedure last year only after they found blood, just as Bill said. And true to the indicator the blood is, had a cancer removed. I was fortunate that it was still only on a polyp and had not spread to the colon wall. Now I'm on the annual ticket for a few years.

Idahoron, your system seems pretty normal by the next day, but sitting for an extended length, say two hours, can become uncomfortable. If you have a desk job, take a five minute walk every hour and you should be fine.

As far as the drugs, I felt no ill effects after a couple hours. Can't say about the sitting as thats something I don't get to do at work.

idahoron said:
What is it like the next day? I have to work the next day and I am a little worried about not feeling great.
Ron, the day after the procedure you should be back to normal and fine to do anything.

A few months ago I had about 18 inches of colon removed. It wasn't a lot of fun. If staying on top of tests, screenings, etc, will lessen the need for more invasive action like bowel surgery, I'd recommend everyone get in line now.

Bill, again thanks for bringing up this subject. I hope you maybe helped a few people down the road.

ski3pin said:
Ron, the day after the procedure you should be back to normal and fine to do anything.

A few months ago I had about 18 inches of colon removed. It wasn't a lot of fun. If staying on top of tests, screenings, etc, will lessen the need for more invasive action like bowel surgery, I'd recommend everyone get in line now.

Bill, again thanks for bringing up this subject. I hope you maybe helped a few people down the road.
Why did you have to have your operation? I've had two major resections of both my large and small intestines due to Crohn's disease. I've lost about 1/2 of my colon and about 8 feet of my small intestine. I was doing colonoscopies twice a year, then once a year and now I'm every three years. Not the funnest thing but everybody should get one.

I had my first colonoscopy about 3 years ago, at the age of 55. I was clean as a whistle, so I don't need to get another for ten years.
Really, the prep and procedure were no big deal.
Everyone should do it.

It is important to remember that colonoscopies, like any invasive procedure, are not without risk up to and including perforation. That said, colonoscopies have a distinct advantage over many other screening procedures in that they can generally treat most of the problems they find at the same time. I don't know if colonoscopies have much of a false positive rate for detecting cancer, but this is a big problem with many screening procedures including mammograms.

Alan

Spitfire said:
Why did you have to have your operation?
Chronic infections over many years did damage. I was told I would be better off with the damaged section out. Thus far I'd say they were correct. Sounds like you have had quite an ordeal. I hope it has been successful.

alano, well said about possible risks, thanks for adding.

I insist on straight honest talk from my docs and have developed a great relationship. I trust their judgement but I still do my research and homework and ask questions. I want to understand everything that's going on.

An ounce of prevention is worth about a hundred pounds of cure these days.

My insurance has told the doctors that they will only pay for conscious anesthesia. My doctors office said the hospital won't allow that to happen. They are planning a double at the same time on me, both ends. I am more than a little nervous. Tomorrow I go in to have my gall bladder tested.

I wanted to watch the procedure. I tried but suddenly it was over and I didnt' remember a thing.

It pays to do your research. I've found doctors don't mind talking to you but they don't have time to start from scratch, If you know what questions to ask though they'll usually have no problem giving the answers.

I have had it done not nearly as bad as I was led to belive. The way they did mine they say your conscious but I have no memory of the procedure at all. I just rember leting out a huge fart in the recovery room.

idahoron said:
My insurance has told the doctors that they will only pay for conscious anesthesia. My doctors office said the hospital won't allow that to happen. They are planning a double at the same time on me, both ends. I am more than a little nervous. Tomorrow I go in to have my gall bladder tested.
I did the double header, numbed the back of my mouth and then I don't remember. Not a problem.

ski3pin said:
Chronic infections over many years did damage. I was told I would be better off with the damaged section out. Thus far I'd say they were correct. Sounds like you have had quite an ordeal. I hope it has been successful.

alano, well said about possible risks, thanks for adding.

I insist on straight honest talk from my docs and have developed a great relationship. I trust their judgement but I still do my research and homework and ask questions. I want to understand everything that's going on.

An ounce of prevention is worth about a hundred pounds of cure these days.
Thanks. I did have lots of problems years ago but I've managed to get off all my medications (mostly nasty steroids) and I'm doing fairly well today.

Back
Top Bottom