Concrete bed cushions

I had thought of trying layering like that for the same reasons you mention. But the guy at the foam shop said it wouldn't be necessary. He can do the same thing with one piece of foam in the proper density.

We had a memory foam topper from our old bed that is quite comfy so we brought it along on just put it on top of the stock mattress. 5 days into our year long trip we got annoyed with the double thickness as it made closing the top tougher. At our campsite we took off the stock cover, cut our memory foam to fit and put the cover back on the new mattress and took the other one to the dump. The cover is slightly loose but we keep a fitted sheet over it anyway. Much improved over the old foam! I think I spent about $40 on the memory foam topper. Cheap, easy and comfy.

The stock foam and beautiful covers from our 2010 Eagle sit in our spare bedroom (anyone want to buy?) We replaced with 3 inch medium density foam and sleep much better.

Thank you all for your responses and ideas. Here is what we ended up doing (for $0).

We only modified the large sleeping mat section, and left the four small pads stock that fit in after pulling the bed out.

Ever so carefully, we took the large 4inch stock foam and sliced it down the middle with a benchmade mini griptlian (actually worked better than the bigger griptlian). This was a bit of a pain and a two man operation that took about 45 minutes. It actually turned out pretty even, and we were left with 2 two inch pads. We had an extra full size 3 inch memory foam topper (good quality one) laying around the house. We cut this to match the exact size of the newly cut 2 inch hard foam, stuffed them both inside the factory zipper cover (hard foam on bottom), zipped it up, and all done. We have slept in it two nights since, and it actually worked out really well.

We figured we would give it a shot and spend zero money before going to a professional. Glad we did.

A definite improvement over the 4 inch hard foam, and not too much worse than putting the memory foam we had over the 4 inch hard foam. We spend many nights, and many many more to come, in the camper, and it was becoming tiresome and damaging to the memory foam taking it on and off the bed during transport (top would not close with 4inch hard foam plus 3 inch memory foam), and just an overall hassle. Now it is in its place and we never have to move it.

Squatch said:
I think 2013 is when they went to the softer foam from the factory.
Good to know, especially if someone is reading this thread and contemplating purchasing a FWC.

It would be great if there was a FWC wiki page that listed the changes made in each model year.

I've slept on framing lumber that was softer than the foam in my 2012 Hawk!

The 2015 foam is better. Even so, we slid a 1" eggshell mattress topper from Walmart into the fabric envelope. Going to try it out next week during our New Mexico excursion.

Steve

This is what we use. Yes it is not cheap but works great. Open valves to self inflate when we set up camp, open deflate valves when we get up our last day of camp. Stays on bed all the time. From REI I had two of the large REI pads on my 2002 hawk with the short cabover. Had to roll up each night and was a PIA. Got the 2013 hawk and wanted something better. Took the two REI pads back full refund and got the Exped dual pad. I love REI.

Like others, I replaced the foam after sleeping on it one night. Went to a mattress store and bought a 3" pad which cost about $250. Since I'm single, I had the pad made to fit without the bed extended. Turned out that the mattress was still a little too hard, so topped with a cushy, flannel-lined sleeping bag which stays on all the time and doesn't interfere with closing the roof. At night, it's easy to throw a sheet and blankets on top.

Thought I would share what we just did. We replaced our queen size 3" foam mattress with two Thermarest Mondoking 3D mattresses. The Mondoking is a 4" self inflating air mattress with verical side walls and two together make a queen, the straight sides allow them to mate perfectly. A side bonus is now my wife and I can adjust the firmness separately each to our own liking. When we put the top down we just open the valves and let them compress and before we crawl in bed we close the valves. It wasn't cheap but you can't put a price on quality sleep.

billharr said:
This is what we use. Yes it is not cheap but works great. Open valves to self inflate when we set up camp, open deflate valves when we get up our last day of camp. Stays on bed all the time. From REI I had two of the large REI pads on my 2002 hawk with the short cabover. Had to roll up each night and was a PIA. Got the 2013 hawk and wanted something better. Took the two REI pads back full refund and got the Exped dual pad. I love REI.
We use two of the narrow ones. They're 30 inches wide so two of them fit perfectly on the queen size bed in our Hawk. They're definitely very comfortable.

For those using the exped, how durable do you think they are or will be? They definitely look comfortable, I'm just trying to decide if they will last, or if a foam mattress will be a longer term choice.

Occidental said:
For those using the exped, how durable do you think they are or will be? They definitely look comfortable, I'm just trying to decide if they will last, or if a foam mattress will be a longer term choice.
Have used mine for 3 years and no problems. Pad stays on the bed with roof down.

Occidental said:
I have about 6 different thermarest mattresses. The oldest is 25+ years old. All used in tents on backpacking trips. NO leaks, ever.

exmx_racer said:
We have a 2012 Fleet with the 4" concrete foam. Here are the numbers for the foam I got directly from FWC:

2012 Foam: Density=1.8. IDL=48

New foam 3" thick Density=2.5. IDL=35

I literally called today to order foam from "The Foam Factory", Foambymail.com. After talking with them today I am ordering their HD36 - High Quality foam which is Density=2.8 IDL=35. Also, asking them to wrap with Dacron.

It is going to cost about $250 to $300 for 5 pieces. I am waiting on the formal quote and can't wait to try it. I have decided to just use the cushion covers for the 4" thick original foam and not going going to worry about a little looseness. But I am hoping with the 3" foam we can leave the bedding on the bed when we pop down.
exmx_racer said:
We have a 2012 Fleet with the 4" concrete foam. Here are the numbers for the foam I got directly from FWC:

2012 Foam: Density=1.8. IDL=48

New foam 3" thick Density=2.5. IDL=35

I literally called today to order foam from "The Foam Factory", Foambymail.com. After talking with them today I am ordering their HD36 - High Quality foam which is Density=2.8 IDL=35. Also, asking them to wrap with Dacron.

It is going to cost about $250 to $300 for 5 pieces. I am waiting on the formal quote and can't wait to try it. I have decided to just use the cushion covers for the 4" thick original foam and not going going to worry about a little looseness. But I am hoping with the 3" foam we can leave the bedding on the bed when we pop down.
I am looking at this exact same foam to replace the mattress in my 2009 Hawk. So, exmx_racer (or anyone else who has ordered this same product), were you satisfied with this foam (and the extra Dacron wrap) as an upgraded replacement? Thanks!

Vic,

Have you checked the foam inside your old thermarest mattresses? I have several thermarest mattresses that date to the early 1990's . In at least one of them the foam is breaking down. I also have foam mattresses from my boat and they started breaking down between 7 and 10 years (salt water environment), In our home the foam in furniture cushions seems to start to break down somewhere around 12 - 15 years. This is consistent with what the foam suppliers told me when I replaced the too hard mattress in our 2007 FWC Keystone. They said foam lasts 10 years.

ckent323 said:
Vic,

Have you checked the foam inside your old thermarest mattresses? I have several thermarest mattresses that date to the early 1990's . In at least one of them the foam is breaking down. I also have foam mattresses from my boat and they started breaking down between 7 and 10 years (salt water environment), In our home the foam in furniture cushions seems to start to break down somewhere around 12 - 15 years. This is consistent with what the foam suppliers told me when I replaced the too hard mattress in our 2007 FWC Keystone. They said foam lasts 10 years.
Hmmm, nope. Don‘t know if I will ever use those again either.

Back
Top Bottom