Condensation management

idahoron

I am used to opening a window for condensation. I open the roof vent and I open one window corner about half way. It hasn't been too bad. Last night my wife was with me and our small dog. WOW the roof was wet and the side walls were wet. I was running a catalytic heater. This was the coldest night I have spent ion the camper since I got it in August it was 23 degrees. What is the trick to keeping the moisture down? Ron

I'm from Alaska and stationed down here in Southern Oregon (High desert) so I've had the opportunity to camp in cold weather a little, as well as using a catalytic heater during much of that time. Yes, you're doing the right thing by allowing some air to circulate, both to reduce some moisture and bring fresh air into the camper at night. However, in my experience you'll never get rid of the condensation with that low of night time temperatures when the catalytic heater is burning propane inside the unit at night. Try to use the furnace more, although it uses plenty of battery power in that cold of temps. I'd bet you'll find less moisture when the propane exhaust goes outside... Catalytic heaters are known for creating lots of good heat, and moisture. (it's too bad we don't have a wood burning stove inside of the FWC, that would dry things out)

My only advice or reminder (besides using the furnace more) would be to let it air out well prior to putting it away. When the family and I camp (even in the summer) we make sure the best we can to air out the camper before breaking camp. When we get home, the camper gets popped up and opened up to air out for most of one day in dry weather. We also use the "Dri-z-air" units when not in use, just to pull any remaining moisture out of the inside.

Obviously this is exacerbated with more than one breather in the unit, with cold weather, with rainy weather, and near the ocean (cool, moist air).

Just my worth.

I think ventilation and circulation are about all you can do. Like KILROY said, at cold temps especially it's tough to manage. Apparently water is a byproduct of propane combustion, and all of the byproducts stay in the camper with you when you use a catalytic. A furnace exhausts to the outside, so you'll have a little less moisture if you can use one, plus the furnace moves air around.

My cat heater said to have ventilation from high and low, so you could consider opening a turnbuckle vent as well. I used to put a screwdriver in there to crack it open a bit. I had a Wave 3 (3000 btu) but it just wasn't enough for winter nights in the mountains - for me at least, but I realize we all have our tolerance. After a full winter I installed a furnace instead... Even still there's some condensation in the corners (we haven't had it for a full winter yet but have had a few nights below freezing to use it).

I am using one of the Mr Buddy heaters. I do have a small fan that I could leave on at night but I haven't. Maybe I should try that. It runs for ever on two D battery's. I sit the heater under the counter next to the fridge. That end of the camper is dry. The only real moist area is in the bed area. and back to the sink area.
I haven't tried opening the glass window. Maybe that would get better circulation. I have been opening up the top end of the soft window by my head. I think I will try the fan over night next time. Ron

the only solution is a woodstove. propane is not the answer for winter camping. wall tent and a woodstove, oh baby.
just got back from a hunting trip, me in my hawk, buddy in his wall tent. woodstove provides dry heat.
the thing i had to do was in the am prop my mattress up to dry/air out. once in the sleeping bag it did not matter what the temp was.
i leave the window open (window between truck and camper) and the vent above the bed a little.
all was good.

griz said:
the only solution is a woodstove. propane is not the answer for winter camping. wall tent and a woodstove, oh baby.
X10. There is no substitute for a nice wall tent and a wood stove! Especially with the water tank on the side for inside showers. The smell of canvas alone is worth the price of admission.

CWD

The problem with wall tents are they are about as handy as a sore thumb. Lets just say I don't want to set one up at night and tear it down the next morning.

"The problem with wall tents are they are about as handy as a sore thumb. Lets just say I don't want to set one up at night and tear it down the next morning"

100% correct, but once it is setup you have the best rig going. i have come up with, fall hunting/fishing trip, wall tent, we are at that site for the whole trip, set up is only once. other times of the year camper, as i may only be there for a week and off to another lake or two.
couple of years back saw a camper with a small woodstove in it, was nicely done and work great.

like i have been saying for years, you need one of everything. no matter which way one goes at least you are out in the bush.
have fun and good luck................

You got it Griz. A wall tent is not for the stick and move approach. Plenty of room to cook, sleep, hang up wet clothes to dry, etc. All of the old sheephearder type trailers have a wood stove.

CWD

I was staying in a wall tent once and the snow started to melt outside. This was on a spring turkey hunt. We had water running through the tent and finally had to pack up and leave. Ron

even this old boy knew how to take care of the problem. ain't pretty but it was toasty. hunting trip first of oct.
varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphp7rOeeV.jpg

I have seen places like that here but they are called cook shacks. They are making meth.

Spent a week camping in the Great Smoky Mountains and had our first experience with condensation. 1st night down to 32, lots of rain and cool temperatures throughout the week in the 40's at night. We did use the furnace, but only in the morning when we woke up. There were many nights when we didn't have the windows or vents open. When I did open a window and turned the fan on, it seemed to lessen the moisture issue. Chalk this trip up as a learning experience. We will try some different options on our next trip.

Back
Top Bottom