Condensation under mattress

griz

This might be the answer. wwwslatsystem . Talk to a guy and he loves it, solved his problem. Going to check it today myself. Worth looking into.

How much condensation are you guys getting? I mostly see winter (cold/freezing) condensation that can be wiped off with a tea towel? Am I missing something?
I only see condensation or icicles on the ceiling or ceiling aluminum cross bars.
Are you using sleeping bags? Are you keeping the heater on at night?
I usually winter camp with 2 kids and myself up top?

Interested in this answer?

Thanks

Roger

Looks awfully expensive.Will it fit under 4" mattress? Only condensation I have had was last year in Denali.Stored extra jeans under mattress to save space and after a couple weeks they had a slight dampness,nothing that a some short time in the air wouldn't solve. I think if there was a bad condensation problem may be some sort of outside insulation of the bottom the cab over would be a better way to solve it IMO.
Frank

We haven't noticed condensation under the mattress yet. We did have some on the vinyl behind the arctic pack when we used that one night. We dried it off with a towel. Temperature at night was probably in the high 20's outside and about 55 inside with the furnace running intermittently. I'm going to check under the mattress a bit more carefully next time. I like the looks of the slat frame but have the same questions of cost and space. There is not a lot of information on the website. I tried downloading the catalog but it was going to take over an hour so I cancelled the download.

Did not make into the store today, tomorrow. To answer/reply to some question's. Ya lift the mattress up for a couple of hours during the day works too, just to get some air movement under the mat. 4" inch mat. will it fit? I tried leaving my sleeping bag up there with roof down, no go. So I am max out at 4".
However it say's it provides comfort so maybe what ever the thickness is I could reduce the mat. thickness still being 4" in total.
Have some type of insulation on the outside of the camper would be the best location. Have thought about it, and there is plenty of room.
My buddies with campers do not have this problem as they have drawers with clothes stuffed in them, there is you R factor.
One has this problem even sleeping on a cot with mattress,in a wall tent in Nov. It is the body heat and the colder air.
Any hoot when I get in there to check it out I will report back...........Cheers

Did not make into the store today, tomorrow. To answer/reply to some question's. Ya lift the mattress up for a couple of hours during the day works too, just to get some air movement under the mat. 4" inch mat. will it fit? I tried leaving my sleeping bag up there with roof down, no go. So I am max out at 4".
However it say's it provides comfort so maybe what ever the thickness is I could reduce the mat. thickness still being 4" in total.
Have some type of insulation on the outside of the camper would be the best location. Have thought about it, and there is plenty of room.
My buddies with campers do not have this problem as they have drawers with clothes stuffed in them, there is you R factor.
One has this problem even sleeping on a cot with mattress,in a wall tent in Nov. It is the body heat and the colder air.
Any hoot when I get in there to check it out I will report back...........Cheers

Griz,I have a bobcat,4" mattress I leave my sleeping bag on the bed all the time.One thing I do is pull the sides and front of the bag in a little and the top covers well.If you bet more of the bag in more in the middle it seems to fit.Try it.It sure makes one less thing to do to set up camp.
Frank

AutohomeUS has an under mattress air circulation system for their roof top tents. maybe worth checking out...

Link - http://www.autohomeus.com/accessories/underMattress.php

I tried downloading the catalog but it was going to take over an hour so I cancelled the download.

If it was the catalog I was also looking at downloading, it is a wholesale catalog. So it would not have much relevance to us mere retail customers.

Got a chance to check it out. Very nice, looks like a great product. From what I hear it is comfy and does solve the dampness. This and a 2'' memory foam should be the ticket. Gonna give it a try and see what happen's.

Twin size 200 X 100 cm or 78 X 39" $145

Double size 200 x 140 cm or 78 X 55" $170

Got a chance to check it out. Very nice, looks like a great product. From what I hear it is comfy and does solve the dampness. This and a 2'' memory foam should be the ticket. Gonna give it a try and see what happen's.

Where are you getting it from?

Do I remember a thread, or two, about "memory foam" becoming "HARD" when it gets cold?

Ah, yes, here's one... memory foam gel topper (message #3)

Another... memory foam for bedding (messages #6 thru #8)

Maybe the "memory foam" you are talking about is different?
At least I hope so...

Went in to get the slatsystem and came across another product, "HyperVent". It too has had good reviews, and less $.
Think I will give it a try as it is $12/ft. Comes 39" wide and as long as you want.
Thought I would pass this one on as well................

Just got done testing reflectex under the mattress a few nights in the high 30'a.d. Report is it worked great. No condensation. Snow camping tomorrow and will report back with what happens at colder temps.

So, just got done camping in really cold weather. Unfortunately they the reflectex did not work as well as hoped in the really cold weather. We camped in the Hot Creek area behind Mammoth Lakes Airport 2 days ago. Temps outside were below zero and I woke up with condensation between the reflectex and mattress.

Granted, all tests to date have worked great and I will continue to use it, but for people sleeping in REALLY cold environments they might want to try something else. Personally, I do not plan on going out and seeking out the cold weather. Timing of ole' mother nature was the factor here. I highly doubt the girl would have been excited to camp in below 0 weather if asked HAHA. :D

Back
Top Bottom