Condensation

JaneS

I've had my Eagle for four years, but just started using it in cold weather recently. I have a propane heater that keeps it nice and warm, but a lot of condensation accumulates overnight. I've been using a towel to wipe the walls down in the morning, but being the somewhat lazy person that I am, I'm wondering what ways there might be to minimize condensation, or dry it up easily?

Breath less:D:rolleyes:

No seriously, do you open anything to vent a little? I have found that cracking open a roof vent or window helps cut down the moisture. The heater still keeps it nice and warm.

I do use the vent and the fan, but am in the Seattle area so the air outside is so damp this time of year (if not downright wet) that whether the fan is pulling air in or out it just doesn't make much difference.

Oh. Not sure then. I'm in dry country. The others from wet zones probably have some ideas. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

Propane

By it's very nature is damp heat, add to that high humidity, and it's even worse, the only thing that will really help is to circulate more air, that's the real advantage to a diesel heater is the fact that it's dry heat.

we've only had our camper a little over a week, as fisherman so astutely observed, so only got one night camping along the coast, in the rain. Tried to leave the windows open slightly along with the roof vents. actually pretty pleased how little condensation as we were expecting more. be sure to check under the mattress though. we even flipped it over to expose the now damp underside to air to prevent mildew. i'm wondering if there is some type of barrier to use between the mattress and the camper to prevent the moisture buildup.

(only 77 more to go fisherman...here piggy piggy!)

Condensation here in the northwest is no fun.

I've found that those propane heaters add much moisture and sometimes make the problem so much worse. Besides, I don't like the idea of the heaters on when I am asleep, so I always turn them off to sleep. I do keep a nice hot water bottle with me to keep the sleeping bag warm. The nice down bag keeps it warm until the morning.

So, my routine is to run the heater while awake. Vents open, fairly good airflow keeps the condensation manageable. When sleeping, heater off and vents partially open depending on weather.

If I am near an AC source of power, I have a small ceramic heater. This is dry heat and the condensation becomes not much of a problem. Problem is, not often near the AC source!!! Great for state campgrounds with hookups, though.

Good luck.

dave in seattle

when we are up in the wet areas, like where salty lives, we have had to resort to a unique method to dry the unit out, as well as towels, clothing, etc.

i really dont like "dropping the top" unless its all dry....but in some places, especially after youve been out a while, you just seem to accumulate moisture. wet clothing can be impossible to dry if your in a misty area...such as the deep dark forest....with limited or no sun.

we start the truck, run the heater full blast, open the "dog door" windows between the truck and the camper, and open up the rear fan vent on the camper...maybe even the side window. we hang up all wet towels and clothing for best airflow.

that drys out EVERYTHING IN A HURRY!

those sliding windows are the hot setup!

I've had my Eagle for four years, but just started using it in cold weather recently. I have a propane heater that keeps it nice and warm, but a lot of condensation accumulates overnight. I've been using a towel to wipe the walls down in the morning, but being the somewhat lazy person that I am, I'm wondering what ways there might be to minimize condensation, or dry it up easily?

Are you running the stock propane heater or a stand alone?

It is to bad we can't have some wood heat.I think I saw that somewhere in a thread where a guy put a small wood stove in.scary.
Maybe a dehumidifyer or large fan would help but they would use to much juice in the wild.I use a small 12 volt oscillating fan to move air around the cabin and do the same thing with a cloth and wipe down everything.I used to use the dry ice stuff in my rv and that helps when your not in there but you still see moisture when your in the camper over night.

I used to use the dry ice stuff in my rv and that helps when your not in there but you still see moisture when your in the camper over night.

Do you mean painters desiccant? Or were you actually using blocks of dry ice (ie really cold solid CO2 which is an ice substitute)? :confused:

I'm not sure why a propane heater would add moisture? Can someone fill me in on that? Seems counterintuitive.

I'm not sure why a propane heater would add moisture? Can someone fill me in on that? Seems counterintuitive.

I'll take a guess: heated air holds more water content. When it cools, it condensates. Have no idea why a diesel heater would be better though.

Red Necks just Snuggle & Neck

I too am concerned about Propane Heaters at night. I have always turned them off. I takes about 5 to 10 miniutes to warm up everything via Propane in the morning. I will run an electric Ceramic heater if on the 120V grid.

25 degree nights make that Mummy Sleeping bag very welcome. I've been delivering my wife coffee each morning for 38 years. I'm still the first up when we camp.

The Answer Is

I'll take a guess: heated air holds more water content. When it cools, it condensates. Have no idea why a diesel heater would be better though.

Propane has a very high disolved water content,the burn is incomplete, your left with the water, Diesel fuel, disolved water content much lower, a more complete burn, no water. SIMPLE EH'

Thanks for the suggestions! Someone mentioned a ceramic heater with a fan and I think I'll give that a try since there'll be electric power where I'll be next week. My dad had a FWC for about 20 years (which is how I got hooked) and he sometimes took a little ceramic heater with him camping where there was power. I never asked him about it but maybe it was for condensation. He lived in central Oregon though, so he would have had more "dry cold" than "wet cold" conditions for winter camping.

Are you running the stock propane heater or a stand alone?

It's one I had installed after I bought the camper. It's mounted right under the refridgerator.

Biggest thing is airflow and positive pressure. I have a hard sided camper and in the cold it gets some moisture on the walls and roof, especially in the cab over sleeper. Reason is that you are breathing in air, and exhaling air and moisture. I found that running the furnace works, opening the windows next to my head and the roof vents work, along with using the furnace. As for Propane vs Diesel, the Diesel heater heat chamber retains heat longer than the propane, so a propane cycles on and off with more cooldown time, and on the off cycle attacts moisture to the cooling heat chamber, then when it heats up the moisture vaporizes and travels through the air and condenses in the cooler areas of the camper.

Best thing is to wipe down the walls and ceiling in the morning, run the furnace as hot as you can get it to remove the moisture.

Best thing is to open upper windows and vents, and have the heater running.

Good luck

Another Northwest Input

Also being from Seattle area; but camping in many other northern wet locations I have not found a solution. I just take a rag and wipe down the walls and ceiling. Oh...well....

Propane has a very high disolved water content,the burn is incomplete, your left with the water, Diesel fuel, disolved water content much lower, a more complete burn, no water. SIMPLE EH'

but the combustion area is not exposed to the interior of the camper. its like a home furnace. there is a heat exchanger.

no combustion byproducts enter the camper.

Back
Top Bottom