Condensation

but the combustion area is not exposed to the interior of the camper. its like a home furnace. there is a heat exchanger.

no combustion byproducts enter the camper.

Yes the forced air furnace is just like the house unit. It can be a propane or natural gas style. The gas is burned and a heat exchanger is heated. A fan blows air across the heat exchanger and drives it into the living space. While the gases travel through pipes and out a flue to the roof or out the side of the camper. The only way you would see these gases inside is if you had a cracked heat exchanger or broken flue pipe run. Or even had the door or window open and the breeze blows the flue gases back in. Then if you have a alarm it would go off.

If you use the stove top for a little heat then that burn will add some moisture from the gases. If you make coffee or boil water, that will add moisture. Just breathing adds a lot of moisture.

While boiling water open a roof vent and a turnbuckle panel. Heated moisture will travel up out the vent and air will be replaced from low at the turnbuckle area. Fan-Tastic roof fans are great for this. Running the heater the same way will take a lot of moisture out of the camper. But there are times when the outside air is just as wet as the inside air…Blaa!

I for one is not worried about the forced air propane heater running at night while sleeping. If I was then I would also be worried living in my house. I do leave the roof vent cracked open while sleeping.

Little Buddy or catalytic heaters and the stove top stove consume combustible air from the living area. Treat it as such and provide replacement air.

When done with your trip, try to pop up and dry everything out…even under and within the bed mattress.

Had not thought of that...

When done with your trip, try to pop up and dry everything out…even under and within the bed mattress.

Had not thought of under the mattress/cushions.

I know everyone has a theory and I'm probably just blowing hot air but that leads to my point. 2 people sleeping in a cold camper with plastic or nylon walls emit a lot of vapor just breathing.

Once when we were in Spring Valley NV in the winter we awoke with ice formed all over the canvas of our roof top camper just from the condensation of our breath freezing. I'm afraid if that's the culprit the solution is not a good one.

Attachments

• Bivouac.jpg
    Bivouac.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 224

Back
Top Bottom