Condensation

buckland

Site Team
Decided to purchase the thermal liner. Have been camping in high 20's and the mopping up of condensation is a morning thing. Can anyone suggest their favorite material to absorb the water... I tried shammy material... paper towels... regular towels etc ... Is there a whammo product they dries fast and absorbs a lot rather than smearing it around.

Rob we use a towel that was given to us from our Spanish friends.
I think it says on the towel, "nabaiji". They are 80% polyester and 20% polyamide.
They came from a sports store in Barcelona called Decathlon.
It's like the REI stores here.
There are stores in the US but I couldn't find any on the east coast,BUT they are on line.
Search Decathlon.
The towels we have are 26"x35"micro fiber.about $7.
They absorb water great we use them as shower towels.

Something like that might work to wipe up the condensation.

Frank

Thanks Frank... I found exactly what you mentioned and I will get some. The chami-cloth just doesn't do it. Amazing how much water we humans lose each night and the dog!

Rainleaf Shammy on Amazon. They have been great and dry quickly. I bought 2 and have only used one of them. 5 minutes morning job

What kind of bedding do you recommend with this kind of condensation? Just purchased a used FWC and will be taking a month long ski trip in it in February.

Smars00l said:
What kind of bedding do you recommend with this kind of condensation? Just purchased a used FWC and will be taking a month long ski trip in it in February.
The best thing is to purchase Marine HyperVent for under the mattress and bedding. You want 100% airflow under your bedding. There isn't any bedding that will not be affected by moisture, so the Marine HyperVent will help prevent condensation.

Thanks! I already grabbed some of that. This forum is soooo helpful for first timers!

Smars00l said:
I use a felt sleeping bag liner inside a down/polyester bag. I wash the liner regularly, the sleeping bag once per year.

longhorn1 said:
The best thing is to purchase Marine HyperVent for under the mattress and bedding. You want 100% airflow under your bedding. There isn't any bedding that will not be affected by moisture, so the Marine HyperVent will help prevent condensation.
X2 Best move to make... then wipe down with absorbent wipes... gotta have air so keep top vent open a bit and if possible the turnbuckle flap door with screen... air up and out

Condensation ! I try to peel open a few portions of the liner along the bottom velcro to allow air circulation behind it.

When on a trip one just has to peel off liner and wipe it to really remove moisture....maybe every other day.

Screens on the turnbuckle doors and an open roof vent seem to help a lot.

David Graves

We have done a lot of camping in environments that produce condensation on the inside of the pop-up material. It will make the mattress damp if not cleaned off and will support mold if not dried before closing up for an extended period.

1) The thermal liner has not prevented the inside of the pop-up material from developing condensation, particularly in the over cab bed corners.

2) The inside of the thermal liner never develops condensation but it does hide the condensation on the inside of the pop up material which is behind the thermal liner so we always check for condensation before closing up.

3) Before dropping the camper top we always check for condensation behind the thermal liner. If there is condensation we always pull back the thermal liner and wipe as much moisture off of the liner surface as possible (even reaching behind the lift panel as best as possible). Once done we put the liner back in place and close up.

4) We have used hand towels and dish towels. The highly absorbent "shammy" towels work better.

5) We have Froli springs under the mattress and they increase comfort as well as facilitate air flow under the mattress which, as has been mentioned previously, is important. I have used hypervent on a boat and it works too.

Smars00l said:
I use a Serta 5-in-1 waterproof mattress pad in cold weather. No condensation in or under the mattress and it doesn't feel damp or clammy. I do leave the bed open all day to air out.
I used to put another quilted cotton mattress pad over it but found I didn't need it.

Trader Joe's sells little yellow microfiber cloths that really soak it up in our FWC Finch and are easy to wring out. Don't remember what they cost but think they're super cheap.

Trying to find the balance when it's cold out between enough ventilation to keep it from raining (or icicles forming) inside the camper and not either freezing our butts off in bed or getting blasted out by the furnace always seems to be a struggle. Running the vent fan while cooking, especially when boiling water, definitely helps. If it's not blowing, raining or snowing too hard out, so does opening up the windows some, putting on a warm hat and long undies, and laying an opened up down bag over our zipped-together, classic, flannel-lined Coleman bags.

Thanks for the Hypervent recommendations. I'll try to track some down.

Back
Top Bottom