Converting manual vent to fan-tastic (upgrade or complete replacement)?

kmcintyre

I've looked at the fan-tastic website and searched but I can't seem to find out if I can use the fan-tastic upgrade kit or do I have to do a complete fan-ectomy on my manual vent? I'm sure this is the original vent from 2001 and I'll look to see if there are wires up there. If they are, what's the recommended path? I'd hate to have to mess with the seal as the previous owner looks like he might have painted the roof with something (leaks or ???). That'll be another topic soon :)

Thanks,

Kevin

You need the full fan model of your choice, you'll be using all of it except the frame and trim ring. The upgrade kits is the higher end control setup to convert the lower model fans (not vents).

Pop the trim ring off the bottom to check for wires, you should have them. Buy your fan. Take the hardware off your old fan and install the new stuff in place, likely will need to swap the lid too. You don't have to mess with the old seal and you car reuse the hold trim ring that is already cut to fit assuming its in good shape.

Ok, sounds like another "project" and thanks for the info. Not sure if I'll get the 6000 or 6600.

Kevin

I upgraded my 6000 to a 6600. When parked or stopping and it is warm, I put the remote in the cab and I open the access window to the camper and crack my windows. I can turn on the fan and draw air into the cab to keep things cool while shopping or whatever. Kind of nice but not a super big deal.

A small thing to be aware of, the 6600 will draw about .05 amps of current so it is putting a very small draw on the battery. My CO2 propane monitor draws about .04 amps so I am using around .1 amp of current in the camper when stopped. Not a big deal but it is good to be aware of it. I had to scratch my head for a few minutes when I realized that I had this battery drain.

Steve

I have an 1984 Fleet and don't see the wires when I took of the vent trim. Has anyone ran wires from the light over the stove to their fan? Is removing and re-installing the headliner a big deal?

Kevin - Maybe there is something that I am missing here (I hate to contradict anybody), but I just did the conversion from the manual vent on my 2005 Hawk. I bought the Fantastic Fan upgrade kit from Four Wheel and installed it myself. It was easy - found the wires and didn't have to mess with the seal around the top. Call Terry at FWC. He is great.
Gregg

Wetcoast, your Fleet is of the same vintage as my Grandby and our units are not pre-pre wired for the fan. I have been told that if going into the ceiling area is required that entering by removing one of the roof panels, is easier to reassemble than putting the liner back up. So far I have not had to so I have no experience to draw on. A call to FWC or ATC would answer it though.

Just chiming in on this as I want to change mine from 3 speed to variable.... after a bit of searching...seems to me as I have 2 vents... for the $ I will buy a new variable speed and move the 3 speed to the other vent (no fan)... why waste the material and for very llitle $ gain.

You are probably aware of this but just in case, the fan "upgrade" to the variable speed fan with the remote thermostat does not come with a motor. You use your existing motor and just add the bottom plate with the new control board as well as a motor system to open and close the vent. Upgrading my 2012 Hawk was pretty easy.

And I think I measured the power of the fan upgrade and it draws about .05 amps all the time. In my hawk, including the propane alarm system, I figure I am just under .1 amp of current when everything else is off. Really just a little more current but it is nice to know where the battery power might be going.

Steve

LuckyDan, we were able to gently pull down the roof liner after removing the existing fan and push the wires through to the small hole where the wires for the light over the sink come out. Spliced in the fantastic fan and we are in business. It is nice to add the sky light feeling of the FF over the old aluminum vent.

Good upgrade, now just need a little heat up in Canada so we can run it :)

You might want to make sure the vent you have in your 2001 four wheel camper was made by Fan-tastic vent Corp. ??

Back in those days 2000 & 2001, FWC was under different ownership.

Many of the FWC's back then had a more basic roof vent installed, probably made by Elixir, and it was usually a white roof vent cover, domed in shape, and not black & flat like the Fan-tastic vents.

If it is not the Fan-tastic vent, you propbaly will need to install a complete new vent in order to upgrade to the fan.

But the pre-wiring for the power should be there.

Hope this helps.

kmcintyre said:
I've looked at the fan-tastic website and searched but I can't seem to find out if I can use the fan-tastic upgrade kit or do I have to do a complete fan-ectomy on my manual vent? I'm sure this is the original vent from 2001 and I'll look to see if there are wires up there. If they are, what's the recommended path? I'd hate to have to mess with the seal as the previous owner looks like he might have painted the roof with something (leaks or ???). That'll be another topic soon :)

Thanks,

Kevin

Since I was the original poster of the question I'll respond to what I did. As Stan stated, I had some type of manual operation vent. There really wasn't anything I could do with it (can't upgrade) so it was easier to just buy a whole new fan. The wires were there and it was pretty easy. Getting the old caulking off the roof, etc. wasn't bad and installation was about as easy as could be.

Hmmm, I guess i wasn't aware you could leave the existing vent in place and just instal the fan? Wonder what the price difference is? I just went ahead and ordered a whole new unit...

Ill be installing mine as soon as we get home from the road...never had one of these in any of our past campers so we are excited. Instal seems straight forward so even someone with limited skill as my self can hopefully knock it out.

Thanks all,... I just installed the 7350 Up-Grade Kit. It was simple, easy and quick with only one hitch. The lift arm geometry on the arm that was provided was different. So I reassembled with the existing lift arm and it seems to work fine. I contacted Fan-Tastic Vent and they are sending out a free of charge lifting arm which I'll bet will mirror the existing that I used.

The silent variable speed operation alone is worth the 200 bucks. I mostly use my FWC in high latitudes but am now in SoCA in hot Santa Ana wind conditions. This thing almost takes the place of AC for comfort. I open the forward non-motorized vent over the bunk, then with the remote adjust the variable speed to exhaust air from the up-graded vent above the galley so that the incoming air over the bunk is just right. I was thinking it to be overkill for a small camper but now believe it to be the best money spent.

Though haven't used it yet, I'm thinking the remote will be nice on a hot day to open the hatch from behind the wheel the last few miles to cool down before setting up camp. I also think I'll find the slow speeds usefull to fight condensation in higher colder humid latitudes. Not to mention the rain sensor to do an auto close.

Be careful about having the top of the fantastic fan UP when driving at the mid to higher speeds.
I've been told that when up, that they can come off and fly like a Frisbee (up, up and away).

Alley-Kat said:
Be careful about having the top of the fantastic fan UP when driving at the mid to higher speeds.
I've been told that when up, that they can come off and fly like a Frisbee (up, up and away).
Good advice, thanks. Yea, I wouldn't do full highway speed, but oddly enough the Fan-Tastic Fan web site encourages it. They say not a problem in their Q & A. I'm with you, at the end of the day there are only two screws on the lifting arm bracket. I don't see the hinged side coming off though. That's engineered pretty sturdy. That poly carbonate is pretty tough stuff.

Back
Top Bottom