Cooking Indoors with Outdoor Propane Stove

Rob in MT

I have read lots of articles of how unsafe it is to cook inside a camper with an outside propane stove. There have been discussions here how one should use a butane (buffet) stove if not using an rv propane stove.

In looking at the Milner camper on the Hallmark site, they show a partner stove being used indoors. They also show a separate propane connection, maybe that is what makes it acceptable. Or the partner stove?

As far as the combustion, I see no difference between an outdoor and built-in propane stove - in both situations you need to vent the camper by at least partially opening a window and the roof vent. Perhaps it is considered unsafe to have the propane bottle in the camper lest a leak develop with the bottle or connection. With a built-in unit, the propane bottles are strapped down in an enclosure vented to the outside.

I've been curious about this topic myself.

We don't have a built-in stove top and do our cooking on a portable two burner outside. Occasionally, I will bring the stove in at night and set it up on the counter top so I can boil a small pot of water for our morning java. Bottle is unconnected overnight, make the connection in the morning, open the main roof top vent and fire her up.

We did make pancakes inside one time when it was raining, otherwise we cook outside. I would be interested if there really is a difference in CO emissions between the built-in units and a portable stove.

I'm interested in this topic as well. I've got an ATC Panther on order. I ordered it without a stove since we always cook outdoors on a camp stove/grill combo unit and only occasionally heat water for coffee inside. I was planning to use a small one burner backpacking stove for that or perhaps one of these

GasOne3400.jpg

I think as Bill said, it's probably less about the emissions than it is about the bulk storage and potential leaks. Keep things ventilated when you're using it, hopefully the propane police don't show up and do a surprise inspection ;)

We frequently use propane stoves inside camper and boat cabin. On the C-Brat boating forum, one member (a physician) told of a friend using a butane stove and receiving massive burns while removing a gas bottle. The check valve failed and the gas was ignited by another flame source. I suspect either type of gas bottle could do the same, but I feel more comfortable using the ubiquitous propane style.

Regarding butane stoves, lots of negative information on google about lunchbox cookers in Australia. Not sure if that relates to the one I've used here, but makes one think if they are a wise option.

If it is needed just for hot water, consider a Jetboil. Takes little space & boils a liter of water in less than five minutes.
Even with the internal cooktop, we commonly use a Jetboil for a quick cup.

Paul

We use a Primus 2 burner propane stove on our boat all the time and in our SpaceKap truck camper with the disposeable tanks. As Bill noted the fumes/emissions are similar to a built in propane stove. You need to have ventilation. The plus is that when the stove is not in use it is stowed and the counter top is wide open.The ability to use the same stove inside and out saves space. Over the years I have seen several boats where the stove sits in a well under the counter top and is useable when the top is lifted. The well and underside of the counter top is stainless.
Several years ago some folks at the marina we were visiting were cooking ashore on a picnic table with a butane single burner stove. They were using a large skillet that I suspect caused the butane tank to rupture due to reflected heat as the skillet size covered the tank compartment. Nobody was hurt but the fireball was impressive.
The other issue I have found with butane stoves is that at cooler temperatures the butane does not vaporize well and the flame is low. Even at 45 degrees it's hard to get water to boil. Camp on, Bigfoot Dave

When we visit our daughter in Barcelona we always see the "fuel man" making his rounds to deliver butane bottles to the buildings in the city that don't have the more modern natural gas hookup.
So saying that IMO it's not so much the gas type you use but ventilation/storage I would think.
We carry a 2 burner Coleman for cooking outside and a couple bottles of propane with the little snap on caps over the threads.

I think the main issue is being safe out there.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom