Corrosion near front strut mount

Outnabout

I noticed some cracked paint near the front strut mount on FWC today. Looks like the metal around is bulging and the mount is being sucked in. Any advice or experience with this?View attachment 34942

Outnabout said:
I noticed some cracked paint near the front strut mount on FWC today. Looks like the metal around is bulging and the mount is being sucked in. Any advice or experience with this?
attachicon.gif
IMG_5909.JPG
IMG_5910.JPG

You have galvanic corrosion. The aluminum is corroding. Virtually becoming a soft powder. It's going to get worse as time goes on.

Your only solution is to cut out and patch the area or replace the entire aluminum nose piece. After that is done make sure use hardware that won't cause galvanic corrosion and replace it periodically as part of your maintneance.

Sorry about your situation. I experienced similar corrosion and replaced the entire aluminum nose piece. I plan to replace the zinc plated steel screws around the camper about every 5 years and use tefseal on the threads.

My guess is that you have more corrosion than you think. I see it above your marker light as well. I bet the aluminum is in rough shape in a number of areas underneath. This is what mine looked like underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_0124 (2).jpg
    IMG_0124 (2).jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 179
Bill, was your issue a ground wire issue with a marker light. I seemed to remember a post 3-4 years ago and the corrosion was ugly. I tried a search but couldn't come up with anything. I had questions on his Facebook post. What year camper? Are the struts factory installed or after market install? The struts shows signs of deterioration. jd
Bill D said:
You have galvanic corrosion. The aluminum is corroding. Virtually becoming a soft powder. It's going to get worse as time goes on.

Your only solution is to cut out and patch the area or replace the entire aluminum nose piece. After that is done make sure use hardware that won't cause galvanic corrosion and replace it periodically as part of your maintneance.

Sorry about your situation. I experienced similar corrosion and replaced the entire aluminum nose piece. I plan to replace the zinc plated steel screws around the camper about every 5 years and use tefseal on the threads.

My guess is that you have more corrosion than you think. I see it above your marker light as well. I bet the aluminum is in rough shape in a number of areas underneath. This is what mine looked like underneath.

Relevant topic and posts for all of us...but I also questioned why this is happening; I see the effect but what precipitated the cause..."why". Also what is the ground contact for our campers?

Also just for me knowing what area you live in [marine or road salt?] and year of the camper helps.

Thanks ...Phil

Thanks for the feedback. My camper is a 2015 Grandby. I live on the coast. I am wondering if this problem falls under warranty. The website states 5 years on materials. This seems like a defect in materials and or design if this problem is given a chance to occur.

Outnabout said:
Thanks for the feedback. My camper is a 2015 Grandby. I live on the coast. I am wondering if this problem falls under warranty. The website states 5 years on materials. This seems like a defect in materials and or design if this problem is given a chance to occur.
You should call and ask for their warranty to be honored. I’m not sure of how it reads, for instance limited to original owner, etc..

That’s my next step. I’m the original owner and the camper is only 4 years old. Hopefully something can be done.

longhorn1 said:
Bill, was your issue a ground wire issue with a marker light. I seemed to remember a post 3-4 years ago and the corrosion was ugly. I tried a search but couldn't come up with anything. I had questions on his Facebook post. What year camper? Are the struts factory installed or after market install? The struts shows signs of deterioration. jd
I am uncertain of the root cause of the corrosion, but as a precaution I replaced the marker lights with a type that does not use a ground screw. The marker lights have a power wire and a ground wire. I then grounded the marker lights inside the camper to ground, where it is always nice and dry.

I wish I had taken photos during the process, but at the time I just wanted to fix the issue. I applaud those who take photos while working. Usually my hands are too dirty and my time is in short supply.

Outnabout, I certainly would contact the factory as you may be covered by warranty. If not they can at least supply a replacement nose skin. It will be the perfect width and it will come about a foot longer than it needs to be, so you can cut it to length. Don't worry too much about that cut, because it is covered by a trim piece.

Bill, are you saying that there is a thin piece of aluminum covering the main structure? So, the damage might not be going all the way through the frame?

This lit a fire under me, surfing often, to be proactive on any and all corrosion issues. If I were to request anything from FWC's, it would be to use better, less corrosive, hardware. ... and better glue on the interior laminates. Imho, this should be 100% covered.

Outnabout said:
Bill, are you saying that there is a thin piece of aluminum covering the main structure? So, the damage might not be going all the way through the frame?
Mine was a thin piece of aluminum covering wood. Your gas struts are mounted into the solid aluminum portion of the frame, which will be under the wood. Likely the damage will be isolated to the aluminum skin.

I was surprised by the amount on moisture and mold that was under the aluminum. I used a mold removal product and let things dry out before installing a new piece of aluminum.

I also used tefseal on each screw during reassembly. The tefseal aids in keeping moisture out but it also adds an additional barrier between the zinc plated steel screws and the aluminum.

The zinc plating on the steel screws is sacrificial. Once the zinc coating on the screws is gone then the aluminum is sacrificial to the steel. That is why I recommend replacing the zinc plated steel screws about every 5 years (your mileage may vary). I don't recommend stainless steel screws nor does FWC as aluminum is sacrificial to stainless steel.

Attachments

• IMG_9148.jpg
    IMG_9148.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 144
Here is my new install.
Thought I'd add that so you can see it's not the end of the world.

The round light in the photo below is what I went with instead of the light I am holding. You can see that the new ones have a dedicated ground wire. I also like the fact that I no longer have screw holes. I sealed the new lights quite nicely, but I can still change one out if I need to.

Attachments

• IMG_9093.jpg
    IMG_9093.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 155
Bill D said:
Here is my new install.
Thought I'd add that so you can see it's not the end of the world.

The round light in the photo below is what I went with instead of the light I am holding. You can see that the new ones have a dedicated ground wire. I also like the fact that I no longer have screw holes. I sealed the new lights quite nicely, but I can still change one out if I need to.
Nice work. I had no idea there is wood underneath the aluminum. What year is your camper? The lights you changed to are the ones mine came with. Did you just use sealant to attach the lights to the aluminum? Thanks for the pictures.

I’ll keep the group posted on how my problem evolves.

Outnabout said:
Nice work. I had no idea there is wood underneath the aluminum. What year is your camper? The lights you changed to are the ones mine came with. Thanks for the pictures.

I’ll keep the group posted on how my problem evolves.
My Hawk is a 2013. I'm not sure what has changed since then.

and... you're welcome. Hopefully the photos help. At least you have an idea of what you are dealing with.

The round lights attach with a grommet. It's a seal type fit. The grommet has lips. You can see them if you zoom in on the photo. That wasn't good enough for me so I added silicon to ensure a water tight seal. I did that between the grommet and the camper body and the grommet and the marker light.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Good news, good on FWC. Thanks for the update!
+1 :)

It will be interesting to see what you learn in the process.

BTW, I took care of things myself because I live in Canada and it wouldn't have been worthwhile to drive to California even if the repair was free.

Bill D said:
+1 :)

It will be interesting to see what you learn in the process.

BTW, I took care of things myself because I live in Canada and it wouldn't have been worthwhile to drive to California even if the repair was free.
Yes. I am interested in gleaning some info. It is a good drive for me but combined with some other long distance tasks it will be a good use of time.

Where in Canada are you located? I loved my trips to BC.

Back
Top Bottom