Cost of Repairing a New Truck

I've been a fan of FTM for a couple or three years now. A fan of late model trucks--not so much.

I keep on hearing from guys in the vehicle repair industry: Whatever you do, hang on to your old truck. Reckon I'll be doing that.

Foy

Right now, I feel like a whole tree full of owls for buying bumper to bumper extended service for my 2019 Ranger. Initially, I thought I might have been foolish, but not after this.

That's a great youtube channel. My guess is if someone opts for the lower optioned F150 XL FX4, there is less tech to replace down the road.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Right now, I feel like a whole tree full of owls for buying bumper to bumper extended service for my 2019 Ranger. Initially, I thought I might have been foolish, but not after this.
Same here Steve.On our new (last November) Toyota RAV 4 hybrid I sorta got talked into the "extra coverage".
But these new vehicles have so much tech stuff to go wrong I also feel the extra coverage is needed.

Being a,used to be "shade tree" mechanic was great for working on my GT 350 and other pre computer cars.
But there's no way I would even attempt a repair. Maybe replacing a bulb or wipers but let the pros fix everything else.

It's scary thinking about the problems that can come up with the vehicles today.

Look at the simple cause of that $5600 repair. You would think waterproofing would be a no brainer.

Thanks for that post Ski.
Frank

When I retired I hoped I was done with wrenching on my own stuff. Instead I have to do my own work, if I can. I cringe when I pay a shop but all I have to do is look at new truck prices to know I did the right thing. I have no desire for that latest in tech. I still roll up my own windows!

When I related FTM's story to my son, himself the owner of a 2018 F150, he reminded me that the top end radar-equipped tail light assemblies have become high end items to steal due to their high value and ease of removal. He'd bought his XLT model new, and like his curmudgeonly father, was not interested in all of the bells and whistles.

hmmmm. i hopefully wont be regretting my soon to be sprinter van.
i understand the sprinter comes std with an electronic oil level gauge....... but, there is a physical oil level gauge one can buy.....
go

If I were younger and my wrenching buddies were still around I would go down south to get a rust free 1970 or older pickup to rebuild. As much mechanical as possible. Problem in Minnesota is the bodies rust out if nothing else craps out first. Drive train seems to go forever.

I've seen a couple of his other videos, and he is really good. One of the things on newer vehicles I noticed was the lights, headlights and turn signals. On some, when you put on a turn signal, the headlight on that side goes out. So others can see the turn signal better (?), I don't know. I can't imagine what it costs to replace some of those led turn signal 'bars', there are no more $1.49 bulbs!!
And what adds to my chagrin is that almost all of the newer gadgets are directly related to our laziness. Can't bother to turn your head to look what's behind us- just get a camera or a sensor. How badly do we need seats with memories so we don't have to adjust them? Most of you can probably remember the phone number of the house you grew up in, but couldn't couldn't come up with anybody's current number because we allowed android or iPhone to take that over activity. I don't trust Google and I don't trust Ford to have my interests in mind.

I just flew into Prineville (Redmond) OR to help out my in-laws. Drove their Ford Edge from the airport to their house around 9:00 pm. Let's see, headlights that automatically control hi-beams on/off, rain sensing wipers, lane departure beeping...it was "interesting" let alone what it would cost to repair.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I just flew into Prineville (Redmond) OR to help out my in-laws. Drove their Ford Edge from the airport to their house around 9:00 pm. Let's see, headlights that automatically control hi-beams on/off, rain sensing wipers, lane departure beeping...it was "interesting" let alone what it would cost to repair.
Welcome to the "new" world of what a modern vehicle is.
More technology and gadgets then anyone could want.
My 2022 RAV 4 is so loaded with techno stuff it's scary.
Fortunately I can choose most of the "auto" things and shut them off.
Frank

I drove my daughter-in law's 2022 Tahoe out on the highway for the first time back in March. My younger son was riding shotgun with DIL, my wife, and the grandkids in the second and third row seats. It kept on suddenly but slightly veering one way or the other. I asked my son "WTH is wrong with this truck?" His reply was "nothing Pops, it's just 'lane assist'. Me: "OK, so there's another reason to keep pushing the old Superduty to 300,000 miles, and beyond." Him: "Yeah, I should've taken you up on the offer to give it to me when I decided to buy the new F150 instead."

I just bought a 2023 F150 XL.. decided on the least equipped truck I could find in hopes of less going wrong.. (its still fancy though)

I have never purchased an ESP, but to my surprise there was a $1250 rebate I wasn't expecting and I got them down to $2500 for a bumper to bumper 9 yr 90k warranty.. seems like a good idea.. time will tell. (I drive the truck less than 10k per year)

BBZ said:
I just bought a 2023 F150 XL.. decided on the least equipped truck I could find in hopes of less going wrong.. (its still fancy though)

I have never purchased an ESP, but to my surprise there was a $1250 rebate I wasn't expecting and I got them down to $2500 for a bumper to bumper 9 yr 90k warranty.. seems like a good idea.. time will tell. (I drive the truck less than 10k per year)
That's a great deal on your ESP.
Frank

Foy said:
I drove my daughter-in law's 2022 Tahoe out on the highway for the first time back in March. My younger son was riding shotgun with DIL, my wife, and the grandkids in the second and third row seats. It kept on suddenly but slightly veering one way or the other. I asked my son "WTH is wrong with this truck?" His reply was "nothing Pops, it's just 'lane assist'. Me: "OK, so there's another reason to keep pushing the old Superduty to 300,000 miles, and beyond." Him: "Yeah, I should've taken you up on the offer to give it to me when I decided to buy the new F150 instead."
I turned my lane assist off on my RAV 4.didn't like the car making moves for me.
I like some of the other tech features though.
Frank
Frank

Back
Top Bottom