Cost to maintain and own a FWC? Realistically...

I picked up my Grandby in June. I have had NO problems.
Averaged 13 -15 mpg driving across country.
Camper stayed dry in severe thunderstorms.
Camped when winds were gusting to 50 mph.
Stayed cool with ac in 90 degree heat.
Stayed warm with heater when temps in the 20s.
Everything - fan, heater, water, struts, lights, ac, stove - works great.
My son can lift the roof with one hand.
Batteries last at least three days.

Joanne

Joanne: Thanks for your input. Sounds great. You've described the whole gamut of conditions we run into here in central oregon, especially the thunderstorms that can trash a tent in a few minutes. I was wondering how a popup would do. I'm considering the Grandby myself.

Vector,

My 2014 Grandby has the front dinette, furnace, hot water heater, outside shower, 2 AGM batteries, 100W solar on the roof, fantastic fan and extra fan, rear flood lights, rear steps, 80 compressor fridge, sink, water pump, glass cover on stove, LED lights on the underside at all 4 corners, 8' side awning, rear awning, and rear wall solar plug. My truck doesn't have a rear opening window, so I didn't get the front opening window on the camper.

We are looking forward to taking our grand kids when they get a little older, the 4 range in age from almost 1 week to 6 years.

There are a number of All Terrain owners and they spend more time posting on the FWC site. You should look at both FWC and ATC. From what I understand you can get other modifications from ATC. FWC stays the course with very limited changes. I do think that FWC is a little ahead in upgrades, round rear door, fiberglass lift panels.

To get a real clear picture, you should read the different blogs. Click on mine, I just started it in September. Look at Ski3pin, Bill Harr,, and Frank's (Casa Escarlata Robles Too), and Takesiteasy. There are several others you can find at the bottoms of posts.

Send me a PM if you want to talk. I would be happy to answer your questions. Regards, Longhorn

The thunderstorms we encountered were in Tennessee and Oklahoma last September. I tried not to drive or camp when it was pouring rain, but a few times we spent the night in the camper. The rain sounded LOUD when it was pelting down, but the camper stayed dry - if you remember to close the fantastic fan!
Closing up the camper from the outside was pretty quick and easy too. Probably a lot faster if one is not height challenged as we need to use a step stool to reach the latches :)

Longhorn, thanks for the tip on the blogs. Your photos are superb--Montana and Wyoming are amazing. You've pretty nearly described the camper I'd build. Right now, my biggest decision is about the truck. I'd really like a regular cab (for the shorter wheelbase) with a long bed for the Grandby, but have concerns about storage. All these decisions are interlocked, but I'm getting there. Thanks.

Joanne, I know for sure rain will be in the picture as I'll be camping on coastal rivers for salmon and steelhead. It can get brutal. You're at least the third owner who has told me that the FWC's do well in the rain, other than the condensation. No leaks.

Vector1 said:
Longhorn, thanks for the tip on the blogs. Your photos are superb--Montana and Wyoming are amazing. You've pretty nearly described the camper I'd build. Right now, my biggest decision is about the truck. I'd really like a regular cab (for the shorter wheelbase) with a long bed for the Grandby, but have concerns about storage. All these decisions are interlocked, but I'm getting there. Thanks.

Joanne, I know for sure rain will be in the picture as I'll be camping on coastal rivers for salmon and steelhead. It can get brutal. You're at least the third owner who has told me that the FWC's do well in the rain, other than the condensation. No leaks.
The back seat of my crew cab is usually full, a tote that has the Weber Q grill and accessories, a cooler, tables and chairs, rain gear, etc. That is the one thing I don't like about the rear seat. It has a soft back and doesn't lay flat. To bad Ford doesn't have a folding seat that makes a complete platform. Been in heavy rains in Indiana and the Great Smoky Mountains and no water problems. The condensation is something we all have to live with. I put Marine HyperVent down under the mattress, and just wipe the ceiling and sides in the morning. Not enough nights to test different things like open turnbuckle doors, windows, ceiling vents, etc. I have a 7000 BTU air conditioner that I take if we are camping in the midwest during the summer, but have to have shore power. Longhorn

Never had an issue with rain getting in no matter how bad the wind. I camped at Lawson's Landing one time when a storm came in. In the morning not a single tent was still up ( I suspect most just bailed). I've also camped along fisherpersons who were just in a sleeping bag. I get up nice and warm, cup of coffee in hand ready to fish while they're still too cold to get up (18 degrees). I almost felt guilty running the heater.

One thing about a good rain. It'll either keep you up (it does get noisy inside when it rains) or lull you sleep. Fortunately I can sleep through anything.

Vector1, I have also spent some miserable days and nights in my camper. Shortly after getting it I was on a deer hunt and experienced wind over 50 MPH. I pointed the camper into the wind and went to bed, all was well. The day I drove it home I was in a flash flood and when I got to a washed out spot in the freeway I decided to go across because of the extra weight. A car passed me on the right and when it got passed me it washed off the side of the road. For the next SEVERAL times I went I was either in flash floods or heavy rain I never got wet inside once.
One thing I saw with a few pop up campers is some of them you can't open the rear door if the top is down. That is a deal breaker. Also I am 5'10" and I can sit in the camper with the top down and be comfortable. In fact in one very bad wind storm I decided to just sit it out with the top down. I have spent a few nights with the top down and it is comfortable. A couple times I did it for stealth camping in town.
Lastly I spent one night last january below 0 and my buddy heater made it livable. It wasn't tosty but it was plenty warm enough. Good luck with your deliberations.

I have a 1983 Keystone that I bought in 1990. It has been on four different trucks and on some real rough drives. Everything still works, is in need off new canvas and ends were rebuilt once. Put on new outside water spigot. Keep it clean and dry and they will last.

Back
Top Bottom