Cottonwood Canyon considerations + Turnbuckle Trouble

GroovyDad said:
<snip> As for the AZ/UT pin striping, I think they're just the patina of a lot of great adventures. And, at any rate, they're better than Oklahoma pin stripes (tobacco spit out the window that hits the side of the truck...). I love the fact that you're not afraid to get out there live it!
Ewwwww! I'll take our pin striping over tobacco spit any day! I guess the striping on my truck and camper are kind of a testament as to how much fun I've had. Kinda like when I was a kid and scraped knees and bruises = levels of fun. Still are! Well, sorta. I am a bit of a klutz, and I don't much care for those bruises. And I got a bruise on my arm from reaching in and trying to get that broken turnbuckle to fit before I realized it was broken!

and thanks!

GroovyDad said:
Do you have any Benchmark Maps? I NEVER go anywhere without them. I use my GPS, but I don't trust it. I just use it as a back-up of sorts. Check out the Benchmark Maps (they're a lot more detailed than the DeLorme Maps) if you haven't already. Mine are full of trip notes, coordinates, highlighted routes, etc.

I liked seeing that you travel with a little stuffed dog. Last year, while on a camp trip, I pulled over to wet my fly rod on a little river and when I got out of the truck, I saw a little stuffed Gund porcupine on the ground. I picked him up and he's been traveling with me ever since. I try to take pictures of him in all of the places I go.

I look forward to reading about your next adventure.
I have Arizona and Utah Deloreme maps. Benchmark are more detailed? Hmmmm
I also have Forest Service maps that DO detail these roads, but trying to open them up and actually find anything from the front seat of my truck... I should have gotten out and spread it out. I wasn't actually in a hurry.... Lesson #7... slow down.

My original travel dog is Dumpling (who lost his nose recently. I glued it back on once I got home)

IMAG8439.jpg

This guy on my dashboard was a gift from a coworker who thought it looked like Argos.
Amazing similarity. Mini-Argos! (whoa, huge pic. sorry. getting the hang of GIMP....)

Argos%2Bplus%2Bdouble.jpg

Porcupine! It's fun having a mascot on board :)

Hoyden,great story/lesson.
I for some reason have never had turn buckle problems.But I don't travel 4x4 roads much.
Also I have a theory,since my Bobcat was built for placement on the Ford Ranger originally
than moved to the Tundra,I wonder if the angle of the turn buckles being different helps to keep them tight.
My camper is on all the time.
I check the turn buckles at least once a trip and have never had to tighten them.
Guess I am lucky that way.
All your lessons are good to keep in mind.
Thanks for the story and great pictures.
By the way the sunsets at North Rim are great.
Frank

Thanks, Frank! I just read your write-up about seeing the Sagrada Familia Church (or, as I know of it "The Goudi Church" :) ) It's definitely on my list of places to visit. I have actually considered shipping my rig overseas.... (It's way less expensive than I expected!)

And a Ranger is quite a bit smaller than a Tundra! It fits good?

My camper is also on all the time. I'm looking forward to having the guys at AT check my turnbuckles and let me know if my assessment of the right sides being too tight and thus causing issues is the case. It could also be that I shouldn't be taking some of the crazy roads I do with this rig. Turnbuckles aren't really meant for flexing! My step-dad brought up the idea of spring-loaded turnbuckes, but I'll need to research.

Hoyden, I to have never had a turn buckle come off, loose a couple of times. I have a spray in bed line and rubber mat. I made small wood wedges for the front corners of the bed. 2 x 6's covered with 90-mil fleece back single-ply. Once I get the camper lined up, I pull out and place them and 1-1/2" roofing insulation for the space between the camper and end of bed. I back in and the wedges and insulation keep the camper centered and allows no movement. I think some of the reasons turnbuckles getting loose or coming off is a result of the camper shifting. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I very much agree with GroovyDad's selection of the word Odyssey. It fits. You share your heart through your writing, what a wonderful thing! You are learning and doing fine. Keep it up and you'll soon be an old pro out there. Thanks for sharing your Odyssey with us. :)

hoyden said:
Thanks, Frank! I just read your write-up about seeing the Sagrada Familia Church (or, as I know of it "The Goudi Church" :) ) It's definitely on my list of places to visit. I have actually considered shipping my rig overseas.... (It's way less expensive than I expected!)

My camper is also on all the time. I'm looking forward to having the guys at AT check my turnbuckles and let me know if my assessment of the right sides being too tight and thus causing issues is the case. It could also be that I shouldn't be taking some of the crazy roads I do with this rig. Turnbuckles aren't really meant for flexing! My step-dad brought up the idea of spring-loaded turnbuckes, but I'll need to research.
Hoyden,our daughter lives in Barcelona We visit often and the city is like a second home to us.
We have watched the church being built ,over the past 20 years and it's amazing to see how it grows and watch them build it.
Spain has a lot to offer for camping.We have seen a lot of their "campers" they don't use the huge ones like here.
and there are a lot of camping areas.
Try to get there even if you don't take your camper. If you ever need info let me know.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Hoyden,our daughter lives in Barcelona We visit often and the city is like a second home to us.
We have watched the church being built ,over the past 20 years and it's amazing to see how it grows and watch them build it.
Spain has a lot to offer for camping.We have seen a lot of their "campers" they don't use the huge ones like here.
Try to get there even if you don't take your camper. If you ever need info let me know.
Frank
How interesting!
That church has such a fascinating- and long - history.
Oh fantastic! Will do! :-D

hoyden said:

The 02 Tundra is a bit larger but the Bobcat fits nicely no overhang. And I think since the truck mounting eye bolts are wider apart
it may have something to do with how they don't come loose.I can't explain it just know I have no problems.
Frank

RicoV said:
I think we need to take another look at this nut-on-the-turnbuckle thing, even though it's been covered before in previous turnbuckle threads. It seems clear to me that a nut placed on the outside of the normal-threaded J-hook side isn't likely to hold the turnbuckle in place in the event it were to come loose (if the camper was really getting jostled). On the other hand, a reverse-threaded nut cinched onto the outside of the reverse-threaded J-hook would in fact do what you're wanting it to do, i.e., keep the turnbuckle in place. As always, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I just tested it on a spare turnbuckle and it seems true to me. Then again, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp shop...
Rico
There is no difference between left and right hand thread when it comes to a lock nut. The physics are the same. It's a push or pull. There is no twisting torque applied here.

The only reason for the left hand thread is so the turnbuckle center section will either draw or expand when turned. If they were both the same nothing would change when you turn the center section. One side would draw and one side would back off. A locknut is a locknut. It doesn't matter at all which side it's on. But the right hand thread is normal and common so nuts are available anywhere. Makes it a $.50 fix. As long as it's tight the turnbuckle will not back off.

The tie rods in your trucks steering system work exactly the same way. Only there is a nut on both sides of the center section (and threads) for extra safety.

I love the word "Odyssey". Perfect description.

"As long as it's tight the turnbuckle will not back off"
You said it all. My reference was to a situation when the nut didn't hold and came loose, which hopefully wouldn't happen in any but the most extreme circumstance. Tight against the turnbuckle body should get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom