couch in 2004 hawk

aaestrad

Advanced Member
I have a 2004 Hawk which I bought used. i can not figure out if the two cushions of the couch are the back or if they are the seat and the single long cushion is the back. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

Long cushion is the back,the two small cushions are the seats.

thanks for the reply. We had it that way, and it makes sense, but when we drive, the back cushion falls forward, and has ultimately led to the wood base of the couch moving forward and stripping the wood where the screws are. Hard to put into words, but the basic ideas is that the back cushion is falling forward and ruining the base of the couch.

I'm having a tough time picturing what is happening with your couch. I keep my back cushion on top of the two small ones when not in use, but having screws loosen when the cushion falls is hard to fathom.

I wish I could draw a photo. Picture a couch. The back of the couch falls forward slightly, when traveling, which pushes the wooden pieces on the underside of the seat cushions forward, which pushes the base wood forward, which is pulling the screws out of the wood.

Let me see here, if the base of your couch is moving forward, I'd have to assume you have no front seat with the water tank and battery contained within. Either way, there should be some small L - brackets holding the couch base in place. If not, super easy to add. Can you post a pic??

I know my seatback has two rubber tie downs that you clip onto the seatback to hold it in place. The cushion still falls forward but the seatback never moves.

If you look on the right middle of this picture (near the curtain) you will see the tie down part that gets clipped into a bracket on the seatback.

PICT6096.jpg

Hi,
Yes, I do not have the front couch, only a side couch which is where my battery is. Was the tie back added on or did it come stock? My model is a 2004. Maybe they were not doing it then. Also, I have the two fold down legs on the back of the back of the couch. Do they go at the top or at the bottom? Finally, I believe the table top goes between the back of the couch and the window. Is this correct?

aaestrad,

We have an '03 Hawk with the same couch and that has always been a problem for us. I ended up putting a small eye hook in the cabinet above the couch back and one in the back of the couch and keep a bungee chord between them when on the road. It seems to solve the problem.

After owning several pop ups I've decide the backrest is not something I need. Actually that long couch doesn't work for me either. The new Cougar will not have either. It will have an "L" shaped couch that projects only 40 inches into the back of the camper. This is going to give me tons of floor space. I have a couple of other ideas on it as well. Pix will follow the Independence Day Weekend.

I use the bungee/eye hook system as Ted does. Though we don't really use the couch I have found over the years that I like the semi "wall" the back of the couch creates as I use that space to stow loose items like pillows, backpacks, tackle box/rods, books and dog blankets. With the back held tight from the bungees it really seems to keep everything secure back there.

Funny, I actaully like the couch. I can sit in the camper with the top down, with about 3" of headroom and grab a quick bite to eat or just get out of the weather. Having the back, allows me to relax a bit.
cool.gif

Now I can see it. I have the couch like Cummins Mike in my '04 Hawk, and I'm considering converting to the rollover unit at some future date. The bungee idea sounds fine, and I use that area by the window for storage too.
In any case, good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom