Couch or dinette on Hawk?

Yes, but before DD pounces on me.....I'm always camped miles from anyone else. When I camp in a campground....I don't use the generator.

Yeah, I'm not the generator police -- or snitch -- just a smart-ass trouble-maker. ;)

The dinette worked out by ATC has a place for the table when it is not configured as a dinette. The table itself is large enough for two, the placement of the table leg leaves room for two pairs of feet under the table, and you can store stuff under the table when it is not used as a dinette. The lower bed is narrow, but large enough for napping and could be used as a bed for a third person. Look for my topic on the dinette for a Bobcat. I feel it is a great option. The only problem is that I have been too lazy to outfit the rear seat back as a true back as if for a chair. No big deal for me but it may bother you.

We too have a Bobcat and agree with you wholeheartedly. We had an older FWC Fleet with a couch for many years and find the dinette a vast improvement for the way we use the camper. Elsewhere in this thread Frank expressed our feelings perfectly . . . each person or couple has unique and specific things they are trying to acheive with their camper. For us, the dinette is a winner. We had Marty at ATC make the rear seat several inches narrower which makes access easier. Also, we abadoned the cushions in favor of the stadium seats pictured here. They are very sturdy and fold flat while we are traveling. Bought them at Sports Chalet. We don't expect to need the lower bed, but if we do we have a lightweight sleeping pad that we carry for that purpose. The stadium seats might be an easy solution for the seatbacks the you have not gotten around to making. Just a thought.
Richard

Attachments

• chair 1.jpg
    chair 1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 235
Hi Richard. I like those stadium seats.I keep trying to come up with a simple way to have a seat back and not have it in the way.I will have to look into these.Usually my wife sits in the rear seat and doesn't mind not having a back ,but I think I'll have to give this some brain attention over the non use time of the camper.

Frank

We also considered something like a stadium chair for the rear dinette seat but never got around to it. I sat in that seat and was fairly comfortable without the back. For us the dinette was ideal and allowed for the inside shower addition.

You really need to sit in both to see how each works for you. We got the couch in our 2010 Hawk after checking out the dinnette. We sit (and eat) outside whenever possible. When inside we don't need a table. As a matter of fact, the table and base (POS/PIA) went to Goodwill about a month after we got the camper. The larger storage is more important to us as well, and I sleep on the couch frequently when stopping for the night in stealth mode (top down).
BX

Now isn't that interesting BX? Last Fall, when Mrs. BX sat in the loaner with the dinette, she seemed to love it! I thought that one feature was what pushed you two from "considering" to "buying"... Smart move to explore both options and see what fits you the best.

I think it really boils down to trying each option and seeing what would make each person the most comfortable. Just like some folks prefer trucks with a manual tranny and some folks prefer an automatic tranny... there is nor 'right' or 'wrong' answer. And as several folks have mentioned here, if 'Option A' doesn't work out, it's pretty simple to swap it out for 'Option B'.

See you and that new Hawk soon BX- looking forward to it! :)

Greetings
I have traveled with three adults in the Hawk. I'd keep the larger bottom fold over couch. Secondly even when there are only two of us we sprawl out on the couch and read at night. I put my arm up on the back of the couch all the time. Don't wont to sit up in a dinette. Eating is no problem since we eat on the couch at home too. Hardly ever eat at a table. Thirdly I like to sleep on the bottom and let my wife take over the top bunk. Thus I like the width of the couch when it is down.

Keith and Jeanne
La Mesa CA

Back
Top Bottom