Could Someone Give me Advice for a First Time Camper Exploring the Western U.S?

priyash22

Hello there,šŸ‘‹

I am planning my first big camping adventure across the western U.S.; and I could really use some guidance from the experienced folks here. I have always been a fan of hiking and day trips; but this will be my first time doing a multi week camping road trip. My goal is to explore a few national parks; campgrounds; and some off the beaten path spots throughout California; Oregon; and Nevada. I will be traveling in a small SUV with a roof top tent.

I would love to hear about your favorite campgrounds or any hidden gems for dispersed camping that might be less crowded. I am especially interested in quieter places where I can really connect with nature.

I am flexible with my dates and wondering if there are any months that you would recommend for the best weather and minimal crowds; especially in spots like Yosemite; Crater Lake; or Great Basin.

Any must have gear for a road trip like this?šŸ¤” I have got the basics like a tent; stove; and sleeping bag; but I am curious if there is anything else you have found invaluable for camping in the West.

Also; I have gone through this post; https://www.wanderthewest.com/threads/picking-up-the-camper-plus-a-little-aws-devops-rogue-river-siskiyou-national-forest.7456/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Since I will be spending a lot of time outdoors; I am also wondering if there is any wildlife I should be particularly cautious of; or general safety tips you would recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.šŸ˜‡

Priyash, welcome to WTW!

You have a lot of questions packed into your post, and there are even more answers that vary with season and location. My first advice is to be at least minimally prepared for any kind of weather in any season. That means have layered clothing that keeps you warm and dry in cold wet conditions, and comfortably cool if you encounter a hot spell. Here in the west, you can encounter many different conditions during a season, based on geographic location and elevation. You donā€™t have to carry a ton of clothing, but do have layers that adapt to many conditions. Have the ability to keep advised on weather conditions. A nylon tarp with poles and lines is also a good idea.

A device that I think would have multi functions is a satellite communicator like an InReach, Spot, or even some phones. Two way communication IMO is the best, as people can message you about events and conditions, and you can reach out to let folks know where you are, and to call for help in an emergency. I prefer the InReach.

A lot of information about a park or area can be gleaned from the internet, and government agencies are very helpful with specific questions.

When to visit usually varies with location and season. For example, Death Valley (and other desert areas) would be extremely hot in summer, and more comfortable in winter. These areas also have extreme weather events like massive rain and floods. You donā€™t want to be caught in a dry stream channel when there is a possibility of rain. Additionally, the west has a ā€œnewā€ season. Itā€™s fire season that brings large, fast moving wild fires and choking smoke. Here in Oregon, it started in June and itā€™s still going on. I recommend not having campfires unless youā€™re in an organized campground that has prepared fire pits, and there isnā€™t a ban on fires. We now never have camp fires.

You can usually camp for free on government lands, but do check with the controlling agencies before you camp. The BLM and USFS for federal lands, and state and counties for those lands.

Trip Reports here on WTW are a great way to help plan places to explore, and what to expect when you get there. Some YouTube channels are also good tools. Beware of the gonzo, I can go anywhere I want channels, look for those that have good backcountry ethics. Softroading the West is one that I often watch, although he is a fan of campfires. BTW, know the limitations of your vehicle. Dont push your luck.

An essential consideration for preparedness is to always have enough water, and know where to find more.

OK, I am wearing out my finger on the iPad, so will stop for now.

Please tell us about yourself. I suspect youā€™re in India, a beautiful country.

I agree with everything Wandering Sagebrush wrote. Excellent advice.

We just returned from a three week, plus a few days, trip to many of the areas you are interested in. Our experience was to expect crowds in the national parks, though oddly, if you drive 10 miles or so from the most popular places you can nearly always find solitude and natural beauty that rivals or exceeds the 'hot spots'.

You did ask about many things, which is good, but it may be more effective to study an area you want to go to and then ask us about that specific area.

I strongly second Sage's advice to be prepared for sudden changes in weather. And to always have more water than you think you need.

We carry the InReach Mini 2 satellite device for emergencies.

Get a set of Benchmark maps, one for each state you are interested in.

Bring books covering the areas and subjects you are interested in.

Ask us more questions as your plans develop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom