Couple quick modifications to my Hawk

Oryguntroutbum

These really aren't a big deal and have been done before, but the Rotopax installation went great. Plenty of clearance and with the exception of having to drill an additional hole in the mounting bracket it went very smooth.

After my quick weekend trip I realized I needed to rethink how I am packing my gear. I decided to quit packing like items together and instead pack around what I most often need to access.

One of the items I seem to need most often is my camp stove. After pulling it in and out of the under couch storage a few times I realized that's not the best place for it. Especially if I have things on the cushions, etc.

When I got home I installed a nylon cinch strap (recently cut off my sleeping bag, glad I didn't throw it away) under the galley cabinet. Stove sits there perfect and easy to grab for a quick lunch. Used stainless screws and washers.

It's fun coming up with improvements.

Sorry the pics are in two posts. Tapatalk seems to be having issues. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432054807.302219.jpg

Nice. We got our Hawk last week, camped in it through Sunday, and are heading back out Friday-Monday. I have been thinking of adding a rotopax and a Honda eu1000, since where I camp is mostly wooded. I like your install and imagine there is a thread covering it here somewhere. I was going to get Jerry can and mount, but that looks pretty clean.

There are some nice jerry can mounts out there as well but I like the thickness of the Rotopax. I have a 3000 watt ultra quiet generator that I only use occasionally since the solar works so well. It sips gas and my 2 gallon can will last me quite a while.

Glad you're enjoying your Hawk and getting to use it. [emoji558]

I have a eu3000i for my other camper and home use also, just no desire or room to lug it around.

rayct77 said:
...since the solar works so well.
We spent the past weekend at Snoverland Expo 2015 at Mormon Lake.

Arrived at the Expo thursday with Optima Deep Cycle Batteries fully charged. After 2 solid days of rain, sleet, and 2" of snow (Friday/Saturday), we still had 1/2 of my battery power remaining when the sun once again appeared on Sunday. And, that was running the furnace at 64' at night and 60' during the day (MUST keep my wife happy). I was quite surprised at the resilency of the batteries. Of course your battery drain style, brand, and age of camper batteries will be a major influence on battery life with limited to no solar charging.

Just prior to the Expo, I took the Hawk deep into the Ponderose forests of Mingus Mountain west of Cottonwood, AZ. Even with the forest overhead, I managed to average ~ 21Ah of charging between 10AM and 2PM. The portable 85W panel increased Ah charging by ~ 5-7Ah deep in the woods. Probably not enough to completely replenish the battieries, but, certainly enough to extend battery power to more than 3-5 days depending on drain.

Quite frankly, I do not see the need for a generator with my camping style, unless going off the grid for more than 5 days with triple canopy foilage overhead or a thick overcast for many days on end.

But, I recognize each of us has different requirements influencing battery drain.

I want to keep the weight of my rig as light as possible. Especially after recently going up 17 miles of Government Mines Road (west of Camp Verde, AZ) and the 18 mile track out to Point Sublime on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Neither of those locations are where you or your dispersed camping neighbors want to hear a combustion engine whining! Albeit, the helicopter tours destroyed the serenity at the GC between 9AM and 4PM.

rayct77 said:
There are some nice jerry can mounts out there as well but I like the thickness of the Rotopax. I have a 3000 watt ultra quiet generator that I only use occasionally since the solar works so well. It sips gas and my 2 gallon can will last me quite a while.

Glad you're enjoying your Hawk and getting to use it. [emoji558]
I've seen a lot of Rotopax on Jeeps and such but never looked close at the mounting. How did you mount to your camper? How did you know where there would be internal support?

I mounted mine using the same location and holes where one of the steps was located. Ensured I hit aluminum.

I also made a point of getting photos of my actual unit being built before it was skinned so I could see where the frame was locate. It's paid off with some other aftermarket things I have mounted.

I checked after posting and looked at my rig. I surmised that is what you did. So the holder bolts in with bolt or lag bolt?

Nice add on's rayct77. A small rotopax is on my wish list as well. I'd like to do a couple of them, regular gas and saw gas.

Are you running the factory solar or something else?

Someone on this forum mounted I believe three rotopax on a rack attached to the back of the Yakima traks on the roof [had photos]...very tidy installation...still a lot of weight on the roof and up high.

Phil

When i put my can holder on I was very concerned about the weight on the camper frame. Aside from that how can I be assured that even if I hit aluminum its dead center? Thats why I didn't bolt straight through at all. All the weight is carried on the jack brackets and the two bars that bolt through the plywood in multiple points.

Can you post a pic of the mounting points without the gas can Craig333? I've been considering exactly your setup but haven't figured the best mount points.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Has anyone found or built a screen for the sliding window to the cab? I saw a post where taped a screen but can one be bought or built that maybe slides in when open?

XJINTX said:
Has anyone found or built a screen for the sliding window to the cab? I saw a post where taped a screen but can one be bought or built that maybe slides in when open?
I decided to use velcro and some 'pet screen' material I had left over from some home repairs, to make a scren for the front slider window, as well as for the lower rear turnbuckle doors, for when I use them for ventilation. Not as convenient as having a built-in screen would be, but functional. I had originally used an adjustable screen I purchased at the hardware store, but it didn't fit as tightly to the opening as I wanted. If you need a screen, it needs to not have openings.

Good idea... did not think about Turnbuckle doors when open for ventilation. Another pojet for this weekend if I'm not out and about :)

Back
Top Bottom