Crazy Idea? Shorten Old Granby FloorPack

DirtBean

Can't find anything used out this way to fit our shortbox GMC 1500. An old 85 granby that seems in good shape just popped up online. It is 8' long floor pack and short overhang. I was thinking about picking it up to use between selling our bronco and picking up a used Hawk or Panther.

Then, I started to wonder if it might be worthwhile shortening floorpack to 6 -6.5' and achieve a 2 - 1.5' extension on the overhang (kind of Hawk-erize it). I'd need to rebuild the floorpack, move the front wall back, beef up the overhang metal, move the side window back (or put in a new window that is smaller), maybe adjust door location, re-do all cabinets (which I would do anyway), and re-tin a fair bit of it. Oh, and new cushions...

The more I type, the crazier it sounds....

Probably less crazy to drive further for a used unit.

Still, it would be kinda neat to do.

WOW! Not going to lie, pretty crazy idea. Its totally doable given enough time and patience, but if it were me I would drive further to get a Hawk that fits.

On another note, Im pretty sure you can put the 8' granby in a shortbed. Stan, got some picts?

Anyways, good luck either way you go and take pictures! :D

WOW! Not going to lie, pretty crazy idea.
On another note, Im pretty sure you can put the 8' granby in a shortbed.

I don't know for sure what model it is, no name on it. Looks to me like a granby or a fleet. He said he last had it on a 2010 extended silverado sitting on 2x6's with tailgate on. My thought was to use it as-is until I found something perfect or broke down and bought new, but than 'I could make some little improvements' broke way to my overboard ramble above.

Attachments

• Dr Side.JPG
    Dr Side.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 133
I hope you get the Grandby for a song because that's what it will be worth when you're done. If it sounds like a fun project, go for it, but you've likely only listed half of what you'll end up modifying. The deeper you get into it, the more you'll discover you have to do.

You will certainly learn much about the anatomy of these beasts. This will help with repairs and upgrades/mods on this one or any future camper you get. If you have the time, interest, and this kind of work gives you pleasure, go for it. The last sentence of expresso's post is good for all of us to read over and over. :D

There are some folks on expo that have done major changes so their camper frame. Generally the conclusion is you're mainly buying it for the side liner/roof since the rest will get completely redone, and sometimes be easier to start with fresh metal, with that kind of overhaul. So make sure those are in great shape and get ready for a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom